UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Exclusive Everest Movie Interviews

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Sep 2015
Everest movie, 3 kbThis week we have an exclusive UKC video interview with some of the actors and filmmakers behind the new 3D Everest blockbuster. Based on the events of the 1996 expedition disaster in which 8 people lost their lives in a storm, the film - which stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Brolin, Jason Clarke and Keira Knightley - has been released in UK cinemas today.

Read more
munichhannah 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

@2:20 Jason Clarke seems passionate!
 Sean Kelly 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:
It got 5*s in the DM review today, which is 3 more than 'A Short Walk in the Woods', which is a pity as the book is laugh out loud funny. Anyone seen it yet? 'Everest' that is.
Post edited at 19:44
 Marmoteer 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I watched the film last night and thought it to be very good.

It did a good job of explaining the difficulties of operating at that altitude and didn't over hype the action.

I thought it to be fairly balanced, mixing the various points of view that have emerged from the different books, especially as it only had a film length to do this and tell the story.

Recommended, the complete opposite to Vertical Limits

kwoods 19 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

"co-producer David Breashears"

I might just check this out now.
 boyson 19 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I thought it was surprisingly good actually, far less melodramatic and over the top than the trailer suggests.
 piersmunro 19 Sep 2015
In reply to boyson:

> I thought it was surprisingly good actually, far less melodramatic and over the top than the trailer suggests.

I agree, as I watched it yesterday, (3-D version highly recommended).
 Mark Collins 21 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Liked "The North's Ace" T-shirt. I've got a similar "The North West" one that my wife bought me for Christmas a few years back. Sadly its looking a bit shabby these days, so I could do with getting a new one. I thought you guys would have to toe the line with the real thing though, nice to see that even within the outdoor industry fun can be had by sending up brands.

Before now, I thought this film was going to be a bit rubbish, but after that interview I'm inspired to go and see it, hopefully tomorrow night. At the time, I read just about all the books, written by most of those that returned, or so it seemed. They must have been a great source of information for the film makers, and I imagine a lot of soul searching went on to decide which aspects they would include and whose version of events to run with.
 Damo 21 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I saw it last night. It's not bad. The death of Rob Hall is very moving, quite well done by the actors and not overblown or schmaltzy.

Boukreev only plays a minor part, but his rescuing of three clients above the South Col is acknowledged. His decision to guide without O2 is sufficiently questioned, but again not overblown. The postscripts, using real climber photos, don't mention his death or the aftermath of competing accounts. Krakauer's character is also pretty minimal in the film.

It mostly focusses on Hall and Weathers. Groom features in action but is rarely mentioned. Emily Watson's portrayal of Helen at BC was very good, as was Sam Worthington as Guy Cotter and Robin Wright as Peach Weathers. I'm amazed they got relatively big stars to play relatively minor roles, but I'm glad they did. Josh Brolin maybe overplays Weathers for effect, but again, not too badly. Jake Gyllenhaal is OK as Scott Fischer, despite no real resemblance, but I felt probably deserved a bit more dialogue and screen time*, given the real role he played.

From my memory of reading of the events, there are a few gaps in the final storm scene and some things are compacted for flow and simplicity, but not to any great detriment. I felt it all ended a bit too fast, like it needed to be wrapped up, and a bit more post-disaster action and dialogue down at BC would have been good. It sort of feels like chunks have been cut out to make the time limit.

Especially in 3D, which I'd not experienced before, the cinematography is pretty amazing - some shots over the SE ridge and from Lhotse etc. A level above anything I've seen on screen before.

*I've just read this: https://sondry.com/posts/Can-You-Hear-Me-Now-dMvd4-07-07-2015

Which is a piece written by Jeannie Price, Scott Fischer's widow, on the then-upcoming movie. It gives an interesting behind-the-scenes look at some of the process.
 Mark Collins 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Damo:

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I think the big stars in minor roles is perhaps a way of getting them to have an affect on sales without having to pay them too much. I'm sure I'm not on my own when I say that this will be seen by many as a niche film, so any trick that can be played to get more sales is probably worth doing, especially when it sounds like its a decent movie anyway. A side effect on people going for the stars, might be that they become interested in mountaineering.
 Andy Syme 21 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Definately worth seeing in IMAX 3D. I thought the trailer looked awful and was going to give it a miss, but the film is far better.

Sean Bean would be a better likeness for Scott Fisher and he loves small parts and early deaths (LOTR, GOT etc)
 planetmarshall 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Syme:

> Sean Bean would be a better likeness for Scott Fisher and he loves small parts and early deaths (LOTR, GOT etc)

True, but the Sheffield accent might have been pushing it a bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...