UKC

Camper van ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brendan H 19 Sep 2015
So I'm finally coming back to the UK (when I get a job!) excited, can't wait. I'm thinking of getting a van to do some traveling around the uk, weekends and such as the missus has only been to england once and tbh I not seen as much as I should...plus I plan to get her on to climbing...
Would like a ready made camper with decent cooking facilities but am open to the idea of doing my own conversion so;
Pro's/cons of pro vs conversion?
What make/model?
What size? - I would ideally like a set up that could accommodate 2 adults plus a child seat so I don't have to sell up any time soon
Cash? Does a camper cost more in insurance etc than a car? Would after market stuff like awnings, rock sliders etc increase insurance?
I have no idea about all this, not much driving experience but had a licence for 3 years, this would be my first vehicle
In reply to Brendan H:

Budget is everything - how much have you got to spend?

Unless you're minted and/or a deluded follower of fashion, I wouldn't touch a V Dub with a bargepole: expensive, cramped, uncomfortable to live in and expensive. And not cheap.

Coachbuilt is better if you're looking at starting a family - we had a great time as a young couple in an old Astra van, but roughing it with babies is a lot less romantic. Doing your own conversion isn't that hard, but can be a headache for signing off and insurance. An early-2000s 2-4 berth basic model, on something like a Ducato base, is relatively cheap, easy to insure and comfortable. Bog, shower, kitchen, head room, drives like a car.

But then, I'm too old for roughing it now. We're between vans and I have a very specific idea about layout for the next one, so am taking my time. That last bit is probably the best advice - very cheap vans aren't actually cheap in the end, so don't be afraid to pass them by if they're not exactly what you want.
 Andy Morley 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:

If you're interested in a micro-camper, I'm about to launch a business venture to produce them and I and my business partner are looking for some beta-customers to work with on some initial versions. The concept is for a vehicle that costs no more than a family car to run (e.g. 50 mpg) and is small enough to use for local shopping but that can sleep two. It would also have the facility to turn it quickly from a camper back into a five-seater car.

I have a prototype that's been across France this summer, through Switzerland and over several Alpine passes into Italy and back. It's also completed a tour of Dorset a couple of weeks ago and last weekend it got used for a climbing trip in the Gower.
 summo 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> a family car to run (e.g. 50 mpg)....to use for local shopping but that can sleep two. It would also have the facility to turn it quickly from a camper back into a five-seater car.

Skoda Octavia estate?

Andy Morley 19 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> Skoda Octavia estate?

Too small.
In reply to Andy Morley:

Sounds very interesting and just the kind of thing I'm after. Don't want to run a car and a camper, and the idea of having a vehicle that is as practical and economical as a car 95% of the time but can also double as a small camper 5% of the time is just what I'm looking for.
 Timmd 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:
what about a self converted medium wheel base Ford Transit with the bed sideways on right behind the seats, and vaguely high up so you have storage underneath?

If you only ever have one child you could put the child seat in the middle front seat, and share/take turns in chatting to H-let while driving along.
Post edited at 18:21
 Andy Morley 19 Sep 2015
In reply to mountain.martin:

OK well check out the Amdro boot jump camper conversion kit:
http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper-car/boot-jump-with-screens-water-bo...

I'm in the same market, same sort of range of vehicles as these guys, but am developing a more flexible, modular product. Theirs is very slick and very standard and is best suited to the older-style cars which have back seats that fold flat but which won't come out easily. What I'm making offers more flexibility so that you can make best use of the more modern vehicles that have seats that will remove quickly just by pulling a lever, plus I'm using techniques borrowed from boat-building so my product can be installed/ uninstalled by just one person - Amdro say theirs requires two to lift it off the pallet it arrives on and into the vehicle and having seen the design and the spec, I can believe that. Mine is light but strong, boatbuilding style.

Mine can be configured how you want it. When we went around Europe, we had it so that you could sit inside and cook a meal at the drop of a hat, or in a thunderstorm on some 2000 meter col in the Alps (got some fantastic pics). Last weekend I reconfigured it so we could install one of the rear seats when me and the missus went to Wales with one of my climbing partners. She slept in a popup tent, the wife and I in the van and the seat went under a small pvc sheet outside.
 marsbar 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Or the Renault traffic etc have 3 front seats too.
OP Brendan H 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:

Great info, keep it coming!
I was thinking about something along these lines:http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/peugeot/partner/2010-peu... what do you all think of the set up? Storage seems limited
In reply to Andy Morley:

Sounds great, I will look forward to hearing more when you are further along with your project.
 marsbar 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:

Insurance call Adrian flux. That van looks nice but small. No option to cook inddors either.
 Paul Crusher R 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:

For weekend hits.. Self convert a VW T4. I've had 3 ducatos, LDV 200 and a couple of estates. Ill never go back. T4's 1.9td are the most reliable van about, 40+ mpg if you drive normal. More room than Vivaros etc. Smaller than ducatos but hey cost half as much to run. Most are good for 250k miles.
Can pick up a good unconverted one for 2-3000. Plyline and carpet. Stick units down one side, with sink & cooker unit. 3/4 width bed, rock and rolls can be a waste of time for some, they just end up being left out, just knock up a flat bed, ikea futon mattress. Captains seat for passenger. In my opinion one of the best options for cheap, reliable and user friendly without too many frills.
In reply to Paul Crusher R:

Agree with most of what you say, I used to have a T4, the main problem (for me) with that approach is that it only takes two people. I frequently need to transport more than that. I need to fit some removeable (or fold flat) seats. I haven't worked out the best solution for that yet.
Cambridge-Climber 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Brendan H:

My mate Quentin bought a Pink one, it's an even camper van…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...