UKC

coaches based in Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 19 Sep 2015
Who coaches in Scotland? Any of them would come north? When you do a quick search Robbie Phillips' name comes up. He's down in Edinburgh. Is there anyone else (not that I have anything against Robbie)? Might just treat myself to a 1 to 1 session or 2. It would be interesting to see if this yields anymore results than my dabbling in training!
 Fraser 20 Sep 2015
In reply to French Erick:

"There can be only one!"

Dave Mac?!

http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/

OP French Erick 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Fraser:

He doesn't really coach much anymore. I've asked him about 2 years ago...at the time he said he might consider it as a favour since we know each other.
Otherwise, he would be the go to person. I might ask him again though.
 Fraser 20 Sep 2015

Aah, too bad, I hadn't heard that. Shame, as the session I had with him about 10 years ago was really good.
 ASharpe 20 Sep 2015
What you need to do Erick is get a bit less sh1t. That'll be £40 quid please.
Post edited at 12:54
In reply to ASharpe:

A. aren't you supposed to be climbing somewhere south? Can't you leave us pretend we're depressed when we're really just self-pitying! If ever we could coin something for a climbing man-flu...I am having a fit of it the now. Get ready for them cracks!
 DaveHK 20 Sep 2015
In reply to ASharpe:

> What you need to do Erick is get a bit less sh1t. That'll be £40 quid please.

Or maybe just HTFU?
In reply to DaveHK:

Whenever I harden too much, I tweak my elbow... which makes me think that my main issue is the way... I climb (you dirty minded climbers, you!).

So I need feedback on that. But thanks Dave!!!!

What about your 27th event, think you've HFTU enough
 DaveHK 20 Sep 2015

Hard enough but not fast enough!
 John Kettle 20 Sep 2015

I'd recommend contacting Mike Mullins at Ratho. Quietly excellent and knowledgeable gent.
 Fraser 20 Sep 2015

Maybe you need. ... a crack machine! ?
Removed User 20 Sep 2015
Cambridge-Climber 20 Sep 2015

Megabus??
 JLS 20 Sep 2015

I could be wrong (often am) but I've have thought a couple of one to one sessions would only serve to sort out a few minor technical errors in your climbing. You are already a very good climber, improvement for you, to my mind, means "fitter stronger". You probably already know how to get fitter and stronger and it's just life's usual constraints that take the edge off motivation to do the hard work.

Other thing that occurs to me is... What is it that you want to improve at? I see you as a bit of an all rounder in terms of dry rock and winter. I reckon it's always going to be hard to get to a very high level in either when you do both (and all the other climbing sub-disciplines, sport, trad, bouldering, etc. as well.). Good luck, stay psyched...

OP French Erick 23 Sep 2015
In reply to JLS:

Cheers John for your kind words.

I am not trying to reach any "very high level" in anything... I am, as ever I was, continuing to bumble around climbing areas.

I see what you saying about sorting a "few minor technical errors". However, what got me thinking is that anytime I try to up my game to get "fitter/stronger" I get injured... which means I do it wrong- hence the assistance of a coach to see what it is I do wrong.

I can't afford trial and error anymore.

BTW, I think you are not wrong. My aspirations are all-rounding. Whether unrealistic or not: I want to be able to systematically O/S E4, get to tussle with some mountain E5s which suit me, occasionally redpoint 7c/+; and O/S VIIIs which suit me. Not fussed about the bouldering- to me it's just a bit of fun and as high as number as feasible without specific work will do just fine.

Aim high and see what happens!
 JLS 23 Sep 2015

Intresting. The grades you suggest you're after aren't as high as I'd have thought you could aspire to. I'd say you are already strong enough to climb those sort of grades. Given strength isn't going to be the stopper then it'll just come down to fitness. This is good news. Getting fit by doing laps and P.E. stuff isn't too difficult to get right and won't be as likely to injury you as fingery strength stuff. If you've been getting injured, I'd guess, your previous training dabbles have been more strength focused and more intense than they'd really need to be for your sub-8a aspirations.

So, you are probably right, a good coach could probably assess your climbing and confirm if my perception of you is near the mark. You might as well ask Dave Macleod to do you the favour, I'm sure you could repay it with a bit of belaying on some winter horror show.
 Rich W Parker 23 Sep 2015

As above, Mark McGowan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...