UKC

Bear Grylls - good example or dangerous??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aljones91 20 Sep 2015
Hi Guys, I know this has been raised a number of times but seriously where do we draw the line between inspiring people to get out there and someone demonstrating awe full techniques in the outdoors.

On a number of occasions Bear demonstrated very poor if not shite techniques including belaying off moss. At some point an inexperienced individual is going to get nailed and then it will be "extreme sports" that are going to get blamed.
 Timmd 20 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

I don't know about extreme sports being blamed, but I agree about him showing poor technique.
In reply to aljones91:

Yawn.......
 wiwwim 20 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

for every life lost because of Bear giving them the wrong techniques, another who would otherwise die due to being in a tight spot manages to survive by hollowing out a cow and keeping warm inside it until rescue.
 summo 20 Sep 2015
In reply to wiwwim:

> for every life lost because of Bear giving them the wrong techniques, another who would otherwise die due to being in a tight spot manages to survive by hollowing out a cow and keeping warm inside it until rescue.

Empire Strikes Back, luke did it 20 or even 30 years before Bear.
 ScottTalbot 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Can't watch the bloke, he drives me nuts! Absolute plank IMHO...
Cambridge-Climber 21 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

There's some buoyancy provided by the neoprene of his wetsuit, but not sufficient to match the requirements set out in POR…
 Neil Williams 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Yes, the dodgy abseils (no doubt corrected off camera) are beginning to grate.
 Trevers 21 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> Empire Strikes Back, luke did it 20 or even 30 years before Bear.

The Star Wars geek in me has to point out that it was Han who shoved Luke in there
In reply to summo:

But the real question is:

Which of the two, Star Wars or Bear Grylls is completely made up rubbish?
 summo 21 Sep 2015
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

> Which of the two, Star Wars or Bear Grylls is completely made up rubbish?

it is not beyond possibilities that stuff in star wars could happen in the future. We know that Bear grills is complete rubbish already.
 Wsdconst 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Used to like him when he first started,read his books and enjoyed them, then he started with the publicity campaigns and the horrible bg clothing which makes you look like a tw*t.but the nail in the coffin has to be the celebrity thing, taking them for an abseil down a hill and other rubbish. I did like that show when he dropped some ordinary people off on an island but to be fair he wasn't in it, then he spoiled that buy doing it with some shitty celebs,f##king bear d##khead.
 Dave the Rave 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

To be fair, the one he did with Jonathon Ross was comedy genius when he lobbed bears pigeon out of the cave.
 Alan M 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Got to ask where do you stand on the following programmes?

Survive That
Dual Survival
Naked and Afraid
In to the Unknown
Survivorman
Manhunt
Ultimate Race Alaska
etc. etc.

Just some of the programmes I can think of that have been on TV recently or still on TV.

Personally, when I watch any of the outdoor based programmes I see many techniques that would get the inexperienced killed or seriously injured if they are copied. However, I remember one important fact that seems to get missed when people post about Bear Grylls and when I watch all of the above.... it is TV they are for entertainment purposes only and not instructional survival classes.

What about Ice Cold Gold, wearing jeans on the Greenland icecap whilst crossing it with those spring like walking crampons on their boots.

Just imagine the response on here if someone posted " Hi guys, going to Greenland next week for 2 months and trekking the Icecap. Will I be OK in my Levis and microspikes?"

What about Ed stafford on the Discovery channel the other week heading off into the Siberian Wilderness in winter without insulated boots....He ended up with frost bite. I think that was reasonably foreseeable!! Also keeping Ed as the example he also set off into the wilderness not knowing the scale of his map and ended up needing to use a sat phone to call for his crew to come and get him.

I just never get the whole bash bear thing when all of the TV programmes are up to it (from what I can see).

In reply

>
> What about Ed stafford on the Discovery channel the other week heading off into the Siberian Wilderness in winter without insulated boots....He ended up with frost bite. I think that was reasonably foreseeable!! Also keeping Ed as the example he also set off into the wilderness not knowing the scale of his map and ended up needing to use a sat phone to call for his crew to come and get him.
Saw that one. The taxi driver gave him the wrong scale then denied it.
It's a good series. Very watchable.

> I just never get the whole bash bear thing when all of the TV programmes are up to it (from what I can see).

Greasy Prusiks 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Top Gear encouraging people to drive fast was more dangerous than BG doing abseils of a birds nest or whatever.
 Alan M 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
> In reply

> Saw that one. The taxi driver gave him the wrong scale then denied it.

> It's a good series. Very watchable.

I agree it is very watchable series and I enjoyed the episode in Brazil, though not sure I would have jumped in to that lake not knowing what that huge animal was first.

I can only imagine the reaction on here if it was Bear relying on the advice of a taxi driver through an interpreter. The point being is that the shows will inspire new people to the realms of adventure travel in remote places. If Bears programmes are setting a bad example, to me most of the outdoor based programmes are also setting bad examples. Every programme I watch there is always some sort of emergency/manufactured emergency that develops. Take Ultimate race Alaska the guy broke a leg falling out of a tree on one episode.

However for me atleast I watch the programmes as easy watch entertainment not to learn skills.
Post edited at 20:34
In reply to Alan M:

> I agree it is very watchable series and I enjoyed the episode in Brazil, though not sure I would have jumped in to that lake not knowing what that huge animal was first.
Yeah. Saw that last night. Scary.
> I can only imagine the reaction on here if it was Bear relying on the advice of a taxi driver through an interpreter. The point being is that the shows will inspire new people to the realms of adventure travel in remote places. If Bears programmes are setting a bad example, to me most of the outdoor based programmes are also setting bad examples. Every programme I watch there is always some sort of emergency/manufactured emergency that develops. Take Ultimate race Alaska the guy broke a leg falling out of a tree on one episode.
I'm surprised they get away with stuff in this overprotective, compensation culture.
> However for me atleast I watch the programmes as easy watch entertainment not to learn skills.
Exactly
 Wsdconst 21 Sep 2015

Ok I ll give him that one then.
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Ok I ll give him that one then.

It was hilarious . Have you seen it? They were in a cave 50 ft up, and bear produced a pigeon to cook on his fire. Ross put on his dressing gown like Rigsby from rising damp, lit a cigar and tossed the pigeon out of the cave. Hilarious
 Krustythebrown 21 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Having watched a small amount of him "soloing" on Cloggy with a harness on and the rope always neatly hidden and him hugging the crag spouting "Im at my limit here" I was wishing he'd fall off. Huge Bell End, thats all.
 summo 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Krustythebrown:

> I was wishing he'd fall off. Huge Bell End, thats all.

he might well have fallen off in earlier takes. What you need is 'Bear Live'. Like springwatch, but with more stupidity.
 natetan 22 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

#bearisatwat
 Billhook 22 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Oh, NO!!! NOt another Bare GRills thread.
 wercat 23 Sep 2015
Oh Come on!!! A silk Dressing gown is almost weightless and the sense of self satisfaction to be enjoyed when seen by passers by in some remote spot as they see you nonchalantly enjoying your coffee in such a garment after a bivouac has to be experienced personally to be believed!
Post edited at 18:09
 Dave the Rave 23 Sep 2015
In reply to wercat:

I agree. Rossy was cool and ruined Bears attempt to make the show look 'extreme'
 Yanis Nayu 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Krustythebrown:

> Huge Bell End, thats all.

Has he?

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Has he?

My Mrs reckons so. She actually stopped speaking when he got his top off last night and back flipped into the rock pool. Cheers Bear.
On another note, his new shows gone a bit soft. Last night he rescued some native crayfish and in true bear style hammed it up taking them upstream .'ill do anything for these crayfish '
Would have been more fun if he'd eaten one raw in front of the conservationist and said 'mustn't waste the protein'
 abr1966 23 Sep 2015

I watched that show last night and thought what a nobhead all the way through it!
In reply to abr1966:

> I watched that show last night and thought what a nobhead all the way through it!

Yeah. Especially his finger hanging contest, and , holding that birds hand across the clints and grykes!
 abr1966 23 Sep 2015

> , holding that birds hand across the clints and grykes!

Yes what was that all about! Im sure he's not got a lot of control in the overall production but im equally sue he could just say no to some of it. It irritated me in so many ways!!
PamPam 23 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

Annoying. Really annoying. If anybody wanted to go and learn outdoor or survival skills then I'd suggest they go and get themselves on a decent course instead. I'm all for people being inspired to get out and about but there are basic skills and knowledge that are useful if not essential to have. Sadly though you can't teach common sense but awareness is something you can try and instill in people.

Out walking in July in the Lake District I did see some sights. The most worrying one was an older couple who had got a bit lost and ended up having to clamber down a bit of a vertical scramble, it didn't look great and the way they were taking had a bit of a big step with a gap that just led to the ground quite a bit away. It wasn't far from my path and it would have been marked on the map that they had. I had to stop to see if they needed help as the woman looked like she wasn't confident and there was a real risk that if she took a fall the man would have been dragged down with her. Not being horrible but if they'd fallen and the distance they'd have fallen there'd have been broken bones. Nobody else was around but me. I can only guess that they ended up that way by getting lost and obviously were in a hurry so decided to take a short cut as I doubt they had much warm kit or a means of shelter in the tiny packs they had on.

The worst one I heard was somebody who followed a gridline on a map going up Scafell Pike Corridor Route. They ended up leading a group up somewhere where if a slip or fall would have occured, serious injury or death was a real possibility. They'd gone way off route when one of the group showed me and described where they'd gone. All because somebody didn't read the map correctly and actually look around and ahead of them.
 GrahamD 23 Sep 2015
In reply to PamPam:

> ..... If anybody wanted to go and learn outdoor or survival skills then I'd suggest they go and get themselves on a decent course instead.

Well, dur, yes. Just as you are better going to a driving school than learning to drive from top gear.

FactorXXX 23 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

I want to know how that very small coil of rope he always carries managed to go the full height of Malham...
 Neil Williams 23 Sep 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

I thought that.

And he randomly abbed onto a climber who seemed quite happy to have him clip to the same bolt!
 FactorXXX 23 Sep 2015

Last night he rescued some native crayfish and in true bear style hammed it up taking them upstream.

...and then released them right next to a road!
On a more serious note, I was under the impression that the Crayfish disease mentioned was readily transmitted via clothing, etc. So anyone that had been fannying around in various rivers beforehand, could well be transmitting the disease to the new safe area.
I'm assuming, that the whole Grylls involvement was very much for the camera and the actual scientific stuff was actually done in a scientific fashion...
 FactorXXX 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

And he randomly abbed onto a climber who seemed quite happy to have him clip to the same bolt!

I think UKC need to interrogate Steve McClure and get the low down on what actually happened...
 Neil Williams 23 Sep 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

Not sure where the abbing off moss thing came from though, unless that was another episode, it seemed a reasonably sized boulder to me.
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Last night he rescued some native crayfish and in true bear style hammed it up taking them upstream.

> ...and then released them right next to a road!

> On a more serious note, I was under the impression that the Crayfish disease mentioned was readily transmitted via clothing, etc. So anyone that had been fannying around in various rivers beforehand, could well be transmitting the disease to the new safe area

Not sure on that. I thought it was because the larger American crayfish ate the native ones?

FactorXXX 23 Sep 2015

Not sure on that. I thought it was because the larger American crayfish ate the native ones?

I believe the American Crayfish carry a disease that they are immune to, but their UK/European counterparts are quite definitely not. Think it was on Springwatch a year or so ago.
Someone on UKC will know!
In reply to FactorXXX:
. I think I've heard that on spring watch too.
Donald82 26 Sep 2015
In reply to wiwwim:

> for every life lost because of Bear giving them the wrong techniques, another who would otherwise die due to being in a tight spot manages to survive by hollowing out a cow and keeping warm inside it until rescue.

Nah, everyone knows that from Rob Roy anyway
 mp3ferret 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Here's a letter of complaint written by the chair of CRO : http://cro.org.uk/britains-biggest-adventures-with-bear-grylls-broadcast-on...
 SChriscoli 28 Sep 2015
It is one thing to be inspired by an individual, enough to take up a specific activity.

It's another to think you can be proficient in said activity after watching a few 'programmes'.

Anyone who thinks like that is an ass and will probably be in the obituaries of the local papers.

Read, take courses, join specific clubs and walk before you can run.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Sep 2015
In reply to SChriscoli: If only Mr Grills had taken your advice...

Oceanrower 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:
> Here's a letter of complaint written by the chair of CRO : http://cro.org.uk/britains-biggest-adventures-with-bear-grylls-broadcast-on...

And I'll reply here with the same as I put on the other side.

God help us all if she ever watches Sanctum.

It's entertainment, it's not real and the CRO should NOT be getting involved.

Unless you happen to think that the BMC should be proscribing safety standards fur us. Compulsory helmets, no body belays, bolts instead of pro..........

(I'm joking about the last one (I think))
I'd like to think that the BCRC (the national Cave Rescue Organisation rather than the local one mentioned above) has far too much sense than to get involved.
Post edited at 22:43
In reply to SChriscoli:

> It is one thing to be inspired by an individual, enough to take up a specific activity.

Surely, it must be possible to inspire without behaving like an irresponsible cock?
 Timmd 29 Sep 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
Indeed.

I dunno if I'd call him that, but there's loads of (relatively) safe and inspiring adventurers and outdoor sports people out there.

Post edited at 00:13
 peppermill 29 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

I used to be a fan until he used a deer antler wedged in a crack for his ab anchor.

Why Bear? WHY????
 GrahamD 29 Sep 2015
In reply to peppermill:

> I used to be a fan until he used a deer antler wedged in a crack for his ab anchor.

> Why Bear? WHY????

Probably so that only the really stupid wouldn't see the parody and take it too seriously ?

ByEek 29 Sep 2015
In reply to peppermill:
> I used to be a fan until he used a deer antler wedged in a crack for his ab anchor.

> Why Bear? WHY????

Because it is more entertaining than setting up scaffolding, wearing all the correct personal protection equipment, watching the HSE briefing prior to the shoot and all the other dull sh1t that happens off camera.

Have you ever actually sat and watched someone abseil or climb? It is the dullest thing on this planet. If you are going to sell the idea to a TV producer with a 2 second memory span, you are going to have to sparkle it up a bit.

You are getting confused between reality and TV. The two things are completely different. TV is not real!
Post edited at 11:21
cap'nChino 29 Sep 2015
In reply to wiwwim:

That's a bulls*@t argument and you know it. The only reason anyone is going to hollow out a cow to keep warm is because they learned the technique from Han Solo not Grylls.
 mp3ferret 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> and the CRO should NOT be getting involved.

Really - the people responsible for cave rescue, in the area he was 'dicking around in', shouldn't get involved?
I can't think of a better group to voice their concerns.
 ByEek 29 Sep 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

> Really - the people responsible for cave rescue, in the area he was 'dicking around in', shouldn't get involved?

> I can't think of a better group to voice their concerns.

Its not real! It is TV entertainment. Entertainment - you know - dicking around for fun. You will be telling me the folks from Jackass were being irresponsible too next?

If I were asked to help him out in return for a donation and unlimited use of the production crew catering van, I would jump at it.
 deepsoup 29 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:
> Its not real! It is TV entertainment. Entertainment - you know - dicking around for fun. You will be telling me the folks from Jackass were being irresponsible too next?

It claims to be real, it's not presented as fiction, drama or 'dicking aroud for fun'. Jackass is more authentic, and whatever those folk do to themselves and each other you won't see them pretending what they do is clever and you certainly won't see them swatting and stamping on bats or otherwise molesting the wildlife for a laugh.

Bear Grylls isn't a colossal bellend because he plays a dickhead on tv, he's a colossal bellend because he's in character *all the time*.
Removed User 29 Sep 2015
In reply to aljones91:

My ten year old has called him out for faking it and he's the target audience.........
 peppermill 29 Sep 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> You are getting confused between reality and TV. The two things are completely different. TV is not real!

Thanks for the advice......

(That wasn't a serious post BTW)

ByEek 29 Sep 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Bear Grylls isn't a colossal bellend because he plays a dickhead on tv, he's a colossal bellend because he's in character *all the time*.

He may well be. But he has made his money doing that and my wife thinks he's fit so we may well be in a minority!
 jkarran 29 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

I've never quite understood this kind of rule. One must wear a buoyancy aid for paddling about on a calm lake but not for swimming or surfing where there's a very real risk of getting overwhelmed by the waves or bumped on the head. He doesn't look to be at much risk in that picture.

jk
 Offwidth 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

I get it! Given Sanctum is a work of horror fiction I guess you are saying we should regard Bear in that sort of category!? I look forward to the new scouting badges for being well fit, plausible deniability and blagging (demonstrably gaining another badge by deception)

PS recommending safety gear isn't the same thing as making it compulsory.
Wiley Coyote2 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> It's entertainment, it's not real and the CRO should NOT be getting involved.

I can think of no one better than the CRO to get invovled. They know the caves concerned intimately and they are the ones who may have to fish the bodies out if anyone copies this pillock.

As for it 'being tv not reality' you may realise that but the plain fact is that this tripe is dressed up as a documentary presented by the Chief Scout for crying out loud. Those with experieince of the outdoors will see it for the total nonsense it is but the unititiated - the very ones who might be tempted to ape this buffoon - do not. I used to think he was a joke but now I think he is genuinely dangerous. I'm amazed that someone like Ofcom have not got invovled. They get their knickers in a knot over incredibly trivial stuff yet have nothing to say about something that is potentially lethal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...