UKC

Map of Southern Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 21 Sep 2015
Hi, might anyone have a detailed map of Greenland I could borrow or buy, or know where I could get one? Thanks.
 Sl@te Head 21 Sep 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Went there a few years ago with a school group, I ordered the maps from 'The Map Shop'.
 tony 21 Sep 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Have you tried Stanfords? They're usually my first port of call for maps.
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Search.aspx?eaSearch=greenland#
OP David Coley 21 Sep 2015
In reply to tony:

> Have you tried Stanfords? They're usually my first port of call for maps.

Thanks - have now ordered map to the southern part.

In reply to David Coley:

Do you need a map of the whole of Greenland? That's not going to be detailed. I suggest you focus in on your areas of interest, get what contour maps you can, but also go to Google Earth. The last has very variable resolution around the Greenland coastal strip, but where it is good (and not cloud covered) it is very good (down to a few feet).
OP David Coley 21 Sep 2015
In reply to John Stainforth:

Sorry John, I meant southern Greenland, and by detailed I didn't mean 1:25,000 just something with the major features on. I think I have ordered something suitable now.

I don't know if it is just me, but I find it really hard to use google earth to get an overall feel for a place.
 JuneBob 21 Sep 2015
In reply to David Coley:

The Saga maps are probably the best, 1:250 000.
I've also used this:
http://dk.nunagis.gl/
In reply to David Coley:

I worked in Greenland as a geologist, so I have a good idea of how the Google map images relate to reality. Also, I would spend weeks in the UK examining stereo pairs of aerial photos and I found that helped tremendously when I got on the ground.
OP David Coley 22 Sep 2015

John, where did you get the stereo photos from. I'm using google earth at the moment
In reply to David Coley:

They came courtesy of the Greenland Geological Survey (GGU) for whom I was then working. (I think those photos dated from the early '70s and were taken by Hunting Aviation or Surveys of the UK.) GGU is now amalgamated with the Danish Geological Survey. They may be able to help you, or sell you photos.
OP David Coley 25 Sep 2015

Thanks John
 Simon Caldwell 25 Sep 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Harveys do some maps of Greenland, not sure which areas are covered though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...