UKC

Anyone watching GBBO 2015?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 21 Sep 2015
I'm no baker, but getting very caught up in this. Mostly because a good friend is competing, which makes for pretty nerve -wracking viewing... anyone else getting in to this? Everyone seems genuinely nice, talented, and fairly normal (given the obvious exclusions of wanting to bake on telly, of course, and be opened up to the joys of twitter trolls and malignant tabloids).

Tamal, Ian and Nadiya for the final, I reckon....

b

girlymonkey 21 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

Yes, I am watching it. Have done for a few seasons now, but I think this is the hardest to predict who will stay in. All very talented. It does make me hungry though every time I watch it!! lol
OP ben b 21 Sep 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have to confess to being a GBBO virgin who has only just popped his kirsch laden glacé cherry on to the great Black Forest Gateau of life. I assume the hunger pangs settle after a few episodes but perhaps not!

b
In reply to ben b:

Yep we watch in our house, this has been a hard series to call as to who will make it. last week there was alot of squealing at the tv as things get tense.
 Alyson 21 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

Which competitor is your friend? I agree with your 3 finalists, they are all fantastic bakers. Glad Tamal finally got star baker this week after being robbed in week 3 - he's been consistently excellent.
In reply to ben b:

Hard to predict the final because past performance counts for nothing in GBBO. You could be star baker 4 weeks on the trot, but muck up week 5 and you're out on your ear. One of the aspects I like about the show. Consistency is king, and I am a fan of Paul fwiw
 climbwhenready 21 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

I love it. Ways to destress after work: climbing, GBBO, or box sets.

I also think Tamal, Ian and Nadiya for the final. They're all competing at the same level in different ways, I think.

With the exception of the final, past performance does count for something, I think. They tend not to throw someone out if they were previously consistently strong then have an iffy week, unless it's absolutely disastrous in all 3 challenges.
OP ben b 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

There have been a couple of star baker one week, out the next surprises though. However they both had complete shockers and there wasn't really any option.

Ian was bizarrely disadvantaged by winning three in a row. Certainly got a lot of flack for being consistently good (and Paul was going home until he came up with the lion, so could never have got star baker that week - hence the commendation).

He's a good mate (and climbed about E1, Scottish V, and did a couple of FAs in the Himalaya as well as a winter circuit of Kailash and a heap of mountain marathons) - we stayed with them for a week earlier this year, and gained about a stone in weight as he was baking 18 hours a day for the months leading in. For a faintly camp posh bloke he's tough as nails and very dedicated!

Cheers

B
 Alyson 21 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

18 hours a day?! It's hard to imagine being that dedicated to a hobby, even if you do know you're going to be on TV getting judged for it. No wonder he's so good!
 Yanis Nayu 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Agree about Tamal being robbed in week 3. I guess you share the view of my friend at work (with whom I have a weekly bet with an almond croissant riding on the result) that Tamal is a "total babe"
OP ben b 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Tamal is a fantastic baker and seems like a really fine guy. I did giggle about his 'memorable sandwiches'... glad to know that there are other sufferers out there.

I'm not sure he was robbed though - steady all the way through and a great breadcycle (apart from the name, obviously) but Mary and Paul call the shots.

b
 Alyson 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I guess you share the view of my friend at work that Tamal is a "total babe"

Sigh.

Am I that transparent?
OP ben b 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson: Aye, an enormous amount of work. It's pretty tough for the bakers with full time jobs, as it's so hard to get the practice in. Ian was baking like a lunatic - texts asking to pop in to the shops on the way home for another 2kg of butter and 4 dozen eggs! Tamal seems to be working as a gasman and competing in GBBO - I can't get my head around how that's even possible. At least firemen get watches with long periods of not much else happening. Dorret looking after a family and working - just incredible. Chapeau.

I think the last five are the correct last five though - rarely any doubt over who was going to go home each week, so far. We're left with a group of consistently good bakers all of whom have also pulled off some fabulous pieces at times. Can't wait

b

Alyson 25 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

The right person went this week and Flora is struggling to keep up with the others. Barring some major disaster by Ian, Nadiya or Tamal they're looking like good bets for the final.

Given that the show is pre-recorded earlier in the year... do you know who wins?! I don't want you to tell me who it is, just wondering.
 girlymonkey 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I didn't want to know, but was told yesterday (not sad about who wins, it's actually the person I was rooting for, but sad that the surprise has been ruined!)
 Yanis Nayu 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I think Flora's a big fave to go next. She's done brilliantly though, all without Ruby Tandoh histrionics. Who will win out of the other 3 is anyone's guess.
 aln 25 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:
I've never watched it and I feel superior because I haven't.
 radddogg 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Oh so its ok for women to objectify men but not the other way round?
 Alyson 25 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> Oh so its ok for women to objectify men but not the other way round?

I wish I got paid by the hour for every discussion I enter into which starts with this silly strawman. Admiration and objectification are not the same thing.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Can I just clarify that I'm very happy to be objectified.

If only...
 Alyson 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Ha ha! I did find myself thinking the other day "Wow, construction companies have really cleaned up their act! The workers don't wolf whistle and shout filthy things like they used to". Then I remembered I'm not 17 any more, which probably has a lot to do with it...
In reply to Alyson:

there is something weird about the chronology of the challenges over the weekend, unless they wear the same clothes both days. Or maybe i'm not paying enough attention
OP ben b 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

They have to wear the same clothes both days for continuity reasons, I gather. Which is probably a bit grim when you think about it... stressful baking in a hot tent, it's going to get whiffy...

It was all finished and in the can several months ago; there are several rumours on the internet about who won, but there's more than one winner in that case! I don't know, and Ian certainly hasn't said, and I'm looking forward to finding out on the day (I think, although we will be absolutely bricking it on Ian's behalf!).

He's always been a keen baker - when they were out in Sudan working for Medicins Sans Frontieres he made a solar oven out of bits of aeroplane wreckage, to bake her a birthday treat. Macgyver does Apricot Crumble

b
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

So "total babe" isn't objectifying him?
 Yanis Nayu 27 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

I said total babe, not Alyson.
 Alyson 27 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:
No of course it isn't. A persistent misunderstanding of the meaning of 'objectification' leads to a misrepresentation of equality issues. Objectification means reducing someone to being nothing more than a (usually sexual) object, it's very dehumanising. So perhaps if I'd said something along the lines of "I don't care whether he can bake or not, I just want to stare at his ass" you might be justified in calling me out on it.

Calling him consistently excellent then conceding that he is also a total babe is not objectification. It can, at times, be a nuanced distinction but that doesn't mean you shouldn't bother trying to understand it.
Post edited at 10:20
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

And I said its ok for "women" to objectify not Alyson.

The point is we got slated for admiring Jessica Ennis but this is exactly the same
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Totally agree.

Back to Jessica Ennis. Superb athlete. 9/10 - would bang
 Alyson 27 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

I think you're missing the point a little bit about how if you dehumanise someone then you're reducing them to a sex object. Giving them a score out of ten is very dehumanising, not to mention completely crass. If you got slated for that comment then this is probably why. Hope that helps
 Dave Garnett 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> Calling him consistently excellent then conceding that he is also a total babe is not objectification. It can, at times, be a nuanced distinction but that doesn't mean you shouldn't bother trying to understand it.

You're being very patient but I think this probably a lost cause.
 radddogg 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Dress it up all you like, it's still the same concept. Hope that helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...