UKC

Gokyo Ri-Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 21 Sep 2015

So I have been lucky enough to be chosen as part of a team of leaders taking some explorer scouts to Nepal next year to help at an orphanage and also to do the trek up to Gokyo Ri.

Has anyone been in the area? What was it like for yourself?

Also we will have a few days at the end of the trip, no plans so far and would like to go and see or do something special, any ideas? Anywhere from Kathmandu to Lukla or close by would be great and something less physical than the previous week of trekking we would have just done.

I'm really excited as I have always wanted to go to Nepal
Post edited at 11:30
 mxg 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

I was there in 1996. I doubt it's changed much though. The walk up past the Gokyo Lakes is amazing, as is the view of them when you get higher. I remember eating a lot of potatoes and cheese. The whole area is visually stunning and the people really make it special. Make sure you are acclimatised. I'd been up high for about three weeks before I went to Gokyo so was something of a superman but you get so much more out of it if you are fit. It was a bit quieter than the path up to Kala Pattar but that wasn't exactly busy.

I'm not sure what state the Kathmandu Valley is in these days but there would have been plenty of places to visit had there not been the earthquake. I think it's best you check when you are there as what's best to visit. It's great that people are going back because the cash will help so much.

It's such a fantastic place.
OP cfer 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

We have ties with the orphanage in kathmandu and are going back to help as we can, we need to look at a project for
while we are out there but have some local relationships so our efforts can be put into the most beneficial projects

We are looking at a 10 day trek from Lukla to Gokyo Ri and back again with plenty of stops for acclimatizing, just after the must do's if there are any

Also if any one has any suitable down jacket or bags for sale let me know as will have to start looking at buying some
 ashtond6 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

it was bloody freezing in Gokyo, are you going over the pass?
amazing place, feels very isolated

ps. I had a synthetic bag which was a good idea as you can pile 263478263 blankets on top of it to keep warm. May not be so successful with a down bag
OP cfer 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

I think we are going to do the same trek as the previous group 2 years ago

Lukla-Phadking
Phadking-Namche Bazaar
acclimatisation day in Namche Bazaar
Namche Bazaar-Phortse Tenga
Phortse Tenga- Lharbamba
Lharbamba- Goyto
Summit-then Machhermo
Machhermo-Namche
Namche-Phadking
Phadking-Lukla

10 days in total, but this could be changed
 richie4088 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

If you have time after the trek check out Chitwan National Park, and while your in Kathamandu get to the Rock Bar in Thamel

Also while in Gokyo make sure you visit the bakery you can have a well deserved cake after a hard few days trekking up!
 leadbeater 22 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:
It's a beautiful valley and you'll have a great trip.

I volunteered for 5 wks at the Machermo Rescue Post in Spring 2013, spending a week up at Gokyo. In my opinion your planned ascent to Gokyo from Namche is a bit rapid and you would reduce the risk of altitude illnesses by taking an extra day e.g. Namche-Phortse Tenga
PT-Dole (short day)
Dole-Machermo
Machermo-Gokyo

In addition to being better acclimatised you can visit the rescue post to attend the daily educational talk on altitude illness and hear about the work that they do 😀
Further info at: http://www.ippg.net/machermo-porter-shelter-rescue-post/
 nawface 22 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Hi

Leadbeater is right regarding acclimitisation days.

For sleeping bags/jackets contact Shona's. It's a gear shop in Kathmandu. They make their own kit (good quality) and you can either rent or buy. Rental costs are really cheap, pretty sure it cost around £10 to rent a sleeping bag for an Everest Base Camp trip. Cheap to buy also. HIghly recommended. More info below.

http://www.redrucksack.com/shonas-one-stop-outdoor-shop-thamel/

https://www.facebook.com/shonasnepal
OP cfer 22 Sep 2015
In reply to leadbeater:

Perfect, thats exactly the type of advice we are after

I really cant wait, my first time in that part of the world and Im like a kid at christmas..The fact we dont go till next december and will be there for Christmas is neither here nor there
 EddieA 23 Sep 2015
In reply to nawface:

> For sleeping bags/jackets contact Shona's. It's a gear shop in Kathmandu. They make their own kit (good quality) and you can either rent or buy. Rental costs are really cheap, pretty sure it cost around £10 to rent a sleeping bag for an Everest Base Camp trip. Cheap to buy also. HIghly recommended. More info below.

I'll second that recommendation - I'm still using the down jacket and sleeping bag I bought from Shona's 18 years ago - both are well made, durable and really warm.

Eddie
In reply to EddieA:

Thirded. Still have a bumbag from around that time, which I traded for with some krabs. The gear there is appreciably better than in most of the other Thamel shops.
 nawface 23 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

It'll be really cold at night around Christmas. Easily colder than -5 in the tents. Make sure everyone has a decent mat and sleeping bag. The plus side is the weather should be really stable.
 eltankos 23 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

Hi, Lucky you, I was there in 2012, my thoughts at the time are in this here blog
https://tankgetshigh.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/wednesday-18th-april-2012-gok...

Gokyo was absolutely stunning, we were fairly well acclimatised by the time we got to gokyo, having been to base camp and a couple of high passes already, so Gokyo Ri wasn't really a problem, but would definitely take as much time as possible on the way to acclimatise, if you're feeling crappy there you wont enjoy it as much.

Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...