UKC

£2.5 to £4k to spend on a car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
If you had between £2500 and £4000 to spend on a car what would you get?

I need a reliable car that you can fit a couple of bikes or pads inside or 4 people's worth of winter climbing kit.

I've currently got a 2001 1.9 tdi Fabia estate which I've been very happy with.

What would you buy?
 jkarran 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Something I liked being in and driving. That sort of money gets you a reasonably modern car in decent nick and there are very few bad modern cars.

Personally I'd probably get something older, a BMW of some sort, maybe an 840Ci if I could find a tidy one at 4k or an E30 318is or a first generation MR2 for a lot less. Tricky decision.

If I were you I'd certainly consider keeping the car you're happy with and save your money. If it's gotta go then just get out and try a load of cars you can afford, see what you like then do your research.

jk
 ScottTalbot 21 Sep 2015

I'd be looking at BMW's too.. They age better than most.
Timarzi 21 Sep 2015

I spent just over that a couple of years ago on a Corsa. But I don't think it would fit your criteria.

Don't think I'll be buying another. Wouldn't mind a Fabia, actually.
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I'd be looking at BMW's too.. They age better than most.

I can't see myself driving a beamer...
 Neil Williams 21 Sep 2015

Vectra or Mondy, ideally petrol as they last better?
Graeme G 21 Sep 2015

> I can't see myself driving a beamer...

Why not?
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Because they're more often than not driven by under endowed tailgating wankers.
Graeme G 21 Sep 2015

Maybe this is your opportunity to challenge the established perspective?
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I'm afraid I'd fall into the, 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' camp...
 The New NickB 21 Sep 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Everyone I know who drives a Beemer in the price bracket the OP refers to seem to spend a fortune keeping them on the road.

jkarran 21 Sep 2015
> Because they're more often than not driven by under endowed tailgating wankers.

...and prejudice is such an appealing characteristic.

Anyway, my point wasn't that you should buy a BM, it was that you should buy what you like, for me that's old BMs but it's your money and you that will be using it. To hell what others think of this brand or that, get what *you* like, it's transport not fashion.

jk
Post edited at 15:22
 RyanOsborne 21 Sep 2015

We got a signum (bit like a Vectra but with more back leg room). Pretty happy with it, cruise control for the motorway, fairly economical, and really comfortable for long distances. My advice would be to buy from a dealer, so that if there's anything wrong with it in the first 6 months you can get them to fix it. We got a new set of brake disks and pads, and a new clutch in ours, so it was a bit of a bargain at £2.5k.
 RyanOsborne 21 Sep 2015

Also, our neighbour's BMW, which is a similar age is falling apart big time, the paint is flaking off and it makes some serious rattling sounds when he drives it. I don't think paying more for a fancier brand is necessarily always a good idea.
Timarzi 21 Sep 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> We got a signum (bit like a Vectra but with more back leg room).

More room for your back legs?
 Mooncat 21 Sep 2015

Clio 182 Cup, it'll be a crush but worth it for the fun of driving it.

Boring answer, I know, but I've got a C-max and it pretty much epitomizes 'dad', down to the driver's arm rest. But the boot's huge and it's a comfortable drive - was happy to do the Cornwall-Scotland and Cornwall-Pyrenees trips in it over the last 12 months. Plenty of room for MTBs or a family of four plus the contents of a camper van (long story).

4k would easily suffice: I've a 9yo diesel which has done 110k on one set of glo-plugs and (I think) a routine cam belt replacement.
In reply to jkarran:
Cheers for all the advice.

My wife bought us 2005 1.9 tdi fabia estate with 100k on the clock while I was at work. It cost us £2200.

Hopefully we'll get 100k miles and five years out of it like we did with the last one.
Post edited at 22:06
 nathan79 22 Sep 2015

Happy motoring!
Donald82 24 Sep 2015

Honda Jazz
 Lesdavmor 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Donald82:

VW's are about to get really cheap ( & Audi's ?)
 sg 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

> VW's are about to get really cheap ( & Audi's ?)

Aye, there's no doubt where the value is in this market at the mo! As long as you're not too worried about emissions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...