UKC

Magic Pond, Shorn Cliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 21 Sep 2015
I was expecting other-worldy beauty; a wisp or two of elven mist, maybe. In fact I've only ever seen it as a nasty little boggy area next to the path. What's so magic about it?
In reply to bpmclimb:

Jump in and you'll find out!
 The Ivanator 21 Sep 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

I once roamed the undergrowth in the general area searching for the mysterious magic body of water, after stumbling around for several minutes was forced to concede that "Yes, that boggy patch is it". It is generally quite an enchanting piece of woodland, "Tolkienesque" as the guide describes it, so it is somehow incongruous that the "magic pond" is just a muddy puddle with a few twigs in!
OP bpmclimb 21 Sep 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

It occurred to me that it might be because when there's water in it (very thick, brown water) the level appears to be higher than the low-lying bit of path to the right. A bit like "magic" stretches of river which appear to flow uphill (but a lot less impressive).
 alan moore 21 Sep 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:
It's the little weepy patch you cross before going up to Tigers Don't Cry isn't it?
Not sure about Tolkienesk? Always felt it was one of the rattiest bits of jungle on the Wye but then the climbing more than makes up for it...
OP bpmclimb 21 Sep 2015
In reply to alan moore:

> It's the little weepy patch you cross before going up to Tigers Don't Cry isn't it?

Actually, I think it's the next little ascent path down southwards; goes up to the vicinity of Central Cave. Don't have my LWV book to hand to check, though ......

........ where is my book, anyway? Don't tell me I've left it somewhere
 Trangia 21 Sep 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

Never found it, but I did stumble into wasps nest in the undergrowth and got stung for my efforts!
 alan moore 21 Sep 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

I'm sure you're right; I used to climb there a lot 20 years ago but memory fades...
There wasn't much of a path up to the central area then: the one up to Tigers was the main one with a route leading to Fallacy at the South end. And a LOT of nettles in between!
OP bpmclimb 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Never found it, but I did stumble into wasps nest in the undergrowth and got stung for my efforts!

Ah! The guardians of the Magic Pond. You must have been impure in spirit.
 The Pylon King 21 Sep 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

I reckon the laziest guidebook writers always describe old enchanted feeling woods as Tolkienesque.

Does my head in.

As if these woods didn't exist before tw*t face wrote his books.
 The Ivanator 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Not a big Fangorn then?
OP bpmclimb 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> I reckon the laziest guidebook writers always describe old enchanted feeling woods as Tolkienesque.

Although at least they do bother with -esque. The very laziest would just stick a y on the end. Like this: Tolkeiny
OP bpmclimb 22 Sep 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

Tolkeiny

Although I'm not sure John would approve, despite the space-saving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...