UKC

Newbie question: Chalk/gloves problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Raijin 21 Sep 2015
Hi there

I just started climbing indoors and love it..
Apart from one kinda cruicial aspect of it..
I hate when my hands are really dry, covered in dust, like chalk does..

Are there ANY alternative to this? Right now i'm just hoping to get over it, but i'm not sure i will.. it's the clost thing i have to a phobia :P

Could liquid chalk be a solution?? Or is climbing gloves a thing? From what i've read gloves are a big no go..

Thank you for reading
 zimpara 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:

Mountain biking neoprene gloves are excellent for that. Full fingers if you want the eXtRa gripz!
 EddInaBox 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:

I don't use chalk, but indoors there is no getting away from it, after a few climbs my fingers feel like you describe since everybody else leaves the holds covered in the stuff. However, there is an alternative to chalk, take a can of anti-perspirant with you and spray your hands before you start, I find my hands stay much drier, and when they do get a little moist I just wipe them on my clothes.
 Wsdconst 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:

Once your up high clinging for dear life trying with all your strength not to take a fall having chalk on your hands will seem insignificant. youll get used to it, liquid chalk is worse if anything,well to me anyway.
 deepsoup 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:
Gloves - no, you don't want gloves.
Liquid chalk may be worth a try, but you may as well try no chalk at all. People greatly exaggerate it's importance imo, you might find you do just fine without.
 Billhook 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:

Gloves?? Are you serious. Climb without chalk until you really need it.
 springfall2008 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Raijin:

A lot of people over chalk, you only need a little unless you sweat buckets...
 Mike Nolan 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Raijin:

Don't use gloves.

Ignore the people telling you to not use chalk, its pretty crucial indoors and makes it unpleasant for people who do use chalk when you make the holds greasy with your unchalked hands! You'll get used to chalk on your hands, I used to hate it too.

It's also worth using moisteriser after your session so stop your hands from drying out, as well as being aware that some brands use drying agents which makes your skin dry out more than the brands that don't.
 JoshOvki 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Doesn't Adam Ondra take a bowl of water with him when he is competing to stop his hands getting too dry?
 andrewmc 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

> Ignore the people telling you to not use chalk, its pretty crucial indoors and makes it unpleasant for people who do use chalk when you make the holds greasy with your unchalked hands! You'll get used to chalk on your hands, I used to hate it too.

The people who use chalk obsessively make the holds unpleasant for those who don't always use chalk when they coat the holds in greasy chalk :P I use chalk but only when I need it (and rarely outdoors). Indoors I find myself brushing holds obsessively though...
 Andy Hay 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Raijin:
Hi there, after coming out of hospital many years ago and starting climbing again, my hands were in pieces for quite some time due to my hands going soft (all the tough skin had peeled off), tried all the potions & lotions then happened across this stuff at the counter in a climbing shop at Ambleside. Climb on bar/cream, should be able to get it from most outdoor retailers & found with in weeks my hands were fine after climbing & chalk. just give your hand a good wash & apply! hope this helps? Happy climbing!
Stack.

Fraser 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

> chalk... makes it unpleasant for people who do use chalk when you make the holds greasy with your unchalked hands!

Lol, I've heard it all now!

To the OP: use chalk if you want/need to and don't if you don't. But don't try gloves, it just won't work.
 Chris Murray 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Nolan:

> Ignore the people telling you to not use chalk, its pretty crucial indoors and makes it unpleasant for people who do use chalk when you make the holds greasy with your unchalked hands! You'll get used to chalk on your hands, I used to hate it too.

I never use chalk indoors. I only use my chalk bag as a convenient container for my brush, which is used to clean the greasy congealed chalk off (usually the lower) holds. Funnily enough, the ones at the top are usually chalk free.
Naamah 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:
I agree - liquid chalk is a mare to get off. Leave it alone.

I'm lucky - I have an equine background so I'm used to dirty and gnarly hands. Horse muck (any horse muck - sweat, hair, skirf etc) is worse than chalk and it stinks a whole lot more!

You'll get over it

I love my chalk bag!
Post edited at 21:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...