UKC

Cutting new bike lock keys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 21 Sep 2015
Anyone know if you can get new bike lock keys cut? I've only got one key left for a super chunky d-lock and I don't want to end up trying to cut it if I lose that last key. The key is a flat bar with a groove down the wider sides and cuts in the end with a 180 degree rotational symmetry, like most modern kryptonite/oxford/master lock keys.
I haven't got a code to get a new one from the manufacturer.

Thanks.
 Timmd 21 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

No idea, but 'bump'
 Neil Williams 21 Sep 2015

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried taking it into a key cutting place e.g. Timpson (or perhaps better an olde-worlde hardware store that also does it) and asking them if they can?
 Wsdconst 21 Sep 2015

Take it to a locksmith, thats your best bet to be honest. I've had loads of different keys cut there.
OP gethin_allen 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

I only noticed I was missing today and haven't had a chance to visit anywhere.
 pec 21 Sep 2015

I have an old "D" bike lock with a flat key (rather than one of the round types) and couldn't find anywhere on the high street that had a suitable master to cut a spare from. However, the Timpsons head office in Wythenshawe, Manchester has a special machine which I belive can cut just about anything.
I only live about 15 miles from there so called in when in the area and they were able to cut me a spare although I had to leave it with them for a few days and it cost about £15.
Anyway, you could try contacting them and seeing if you could post your original to them to see what they can do?
http://www.timpson.co.uk/page/109/contact
OP gethin_allen 21 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

That's somewhat promising thanks. I'll keep that I'm mind.

£15 seems quite a long way towards a new lock. I'm usually the last person to say "just buy a new" *anything* but if, and only if, your current lock is not actually all that well rated (check on sold secure) then maybe it's a good time to upgrade?

That reminds me, I need to nip down and bring my bike into the flat.
 winhill 21 Sep 2015

My local locksmith cut me a couple of keys from the lock itself, never mind having a key to work from. It was £25 though and I think he would have wanted the same if it was only one key as he wouldn't haggle. He reckoned his super fancy machine cost £12K but does anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...