UKC

Research on Climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bhumika Soam 21 Sep 2015
surveymonkey.com/r/3XGZ7DP

Hey Guys,

I am an industrial design student working on my thesis project on climbing. I was hoping to gain some insights through you and knowing more through this survey will help me a lot with my research. Please help!
 Dandan 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Bhumika Soam:

A little more info in your post might be good, I've no idea what information you want from me, climbing is a broad church and perhaps not everyone will be able to contribute to what you need. A bit more explanation will stop people clicking through and then getting annoyed that you have wasted their time.

Perhaps the title of your thesis for a start...?
 Jon Read 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Bhumika Soam:

Right, permit me to offer some advice:

1. State what institution you are working for, what the research is, and what your position is (and who is responsible for the research, likely to be you supervisor). This will help your potential participants to identify that you are a bona fide academic and not a scam merchant (well, of course it won't, but you need to get people to trust you to do your survey, right? Be fully open)

2. This is human subject research, whether you think it is or not, and is likely to be subject to ethical review at your institution -- have you gone through that process and gained approval? If so, state so. How do we know you have permission to conduct this study through your institution? The onus is on you to convince us.

3. What in it for us? Why should we give up valuable internet-time-wasting time to help you? What is the benefit to participants? Are you going to pay us? (Brill! Ah, but see point #2) Are we going to get cheaper better kit in 20 years time when you're lauching your new gizmo that helps us all climb E12 with impunity? Think about how to engage us... you need us more than we need you at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...