UKC

Best Winter soft shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zola 21 Sep 2015
Hi I'm looking for a winter soft shell jacket to replace my mountain equipment pulsar jacket that slipped off my boot bag on the way out of chill factor this weekend and not handed handed back in !!
Could any body give me any advice on a similar warm winter soft shell .
 Alpenglow 21 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:
I had a ME Pulsar, but it got demoted to a cold day cragging jacket as the fit wasn't great, cuffs would barely go over gloves and pockets werent that harness compatible.
I bought a Haglofs Skarn Winter and it is amazing. Really breathable, cut is perfect, zero armlift, pockets are completely harness compatible and massive secure cuffs. You feel really protected in it too. Doesn't have the fleece inner, but it's warm enough with the right midlayers.
Post edited at 23:16
 nathan79 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

Montane Sabretooth, if Montane's fit suits you. My go-to winter option. Or it's bug brother the Tigertooth.
 alexm198 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

I use a Patagonia Northwall (even got the bottoms to match now!) in the unlikely event of a dry Scottish day or for places like Norway. Don't think they make them anymore but you can still pick them up here and there. Fluffy interior is fantastic and super warm, but not too sweat-inducing.

I think the Montane Tigertooth is very similar, powershield outer with R2 style fleece interior.
 HeMa 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

Not that familiar with the Pulsar. So will answer a bit more broadly.

In practice you'll have about 3 real options.
1) Wild blocking and water resistant softshell with fleece backing. Think of the Patagucci Northwall, 'Ryx Gamma MX and so on. As stated will insulate a bit (or a lot, depends on the jacket), block most of the wind and keep you relatively dry... unless you have a habit of climbing below showers and/or leaning against waterfalls or damp snow.

2) Wind blokckin and water resistant non lines softshell. See above, 'cept that they don't really insulate at all.

3) Hybrid softshell. Like 'Ryx Alpha Comp, OR Iceline or Patagucci Mixed Guide. Mixing waterproof hardshell or softshell with non waterproof softshells. Can be rather good, stellar or adequate.

My pick for the last 3 or so seasons has been the Mixed Guide, it has served me will in Scandinavian icefalls, early season wet-tooling and even a week of Scottish winter.
https://instagram.com/p/jwrBfSKlOj/
https://instagram.com/p/zaCekbqlHy/

Oogling at TobyA's test Alpha Comp, I think it's a bit better than the mixed guide.
 BnB 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

Not an easy question to answer with a single jacket:

On clear dry days a non-membrane soft shell will function best

Choose a membrane softshell for mixed (but not too wet) conditions

Hardshell (goretex pro etc) for a proper Scottish soaking.

Whichever you choose for the forecast will turn out suboptimal when the weather takes a sudden change. It's all part of the fun

As an alternative to traditional softshell, I climbed about 15 routes last year in a Polatec Alpha breathable insulated jacket (or try Atom LT from Arcteryx) in good comfort and never needed the backup hardshell in my pack. Bet I'd have needed it if I'd left it in the car though!

planetmarshall 22 Sep 2015
In reply to BnB:
> As an alternative to traditional softshell, I climbed about 15 routes last year in a Polatec Alpha breathable insulated jacket (or try Atom LT from Arcteryx) in good comfort and never needed the backup hardshell in my pack. Bet I'd have needed it if I'd left it in the car though!

I climbed the vast majority of Scottish Winter routes last year in an Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody, with a lightweight waterproof in the pack. The waterproof was used more for extra wind resistance than anything else, so something that combines the Atom with some extra wind resistance would, for me, be a good combination.
Post edited at 14:46
 HeMa 22 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> so something that combines the Atom with some extra wind resistance would, for me, be a good combination.

I thin you're getting quite close to Patagucci Northwall.

Sure, you'll need a bit more insulation underneath, but from what I've gathered it's rather warm.

crustypunkuk 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

If you can find one, the m.e Vulcan is plenty warm, and I'd also recommend the berghaus winter valaparola- I replaced my pulsar with one and I've not found it lacking at all!
 BnB 22 Sep 2015
In reply to HeMa:

> I thin you're getting quite close to Patagucci Northwall.

> Sure, you'll need a bit more insulation underneath, but from what I've gathered it's rather warm.

I've gone for the Northwall's evolution (via last years's Knifeblade), the Kniferidge, this year. Less insulation with just a flocked lining, and taped seams so I imagine very windproof and (they claim) "waterproof in all but a downpour". Will try the ME Eclipse underneath over a mesh tee. Or a thicker grid fleece like the Eclipse Inferno if that combo doesn't provide enough warmth. Still gonna plump for the hardshell on really wild days.

connor 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

It's worth looking at the jottnar offering too.
 Pina 22 Sep 2015
In reply to zola:

Sort of depends on what type of winter climbing you're planning (i.e. ice v mixed). I swear by my montane alpine stretch, it's stretchy, durable, windproof and cheap (~£60 though you can get em cheaper depending on the sales). Though mind that you'll need a fleece layer as it's not insulated.
 ben b 23 Sep 2015
In reply to zola: No-one has mentioned Buffalo yet, or the more socially acceptable Montane version...

b
 Nathan Adam 23 Sep 2015
In reply to crustypunkuk:

ME have released a new Vulcan this season which looks pretty perfect for Scottish Winter. I'm going to invest in that and some G2 trousers as my main winter outer layers this season.

Have been very impressed with Powershield Pro and Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants last season but the Kniferidge pants they have brought out this season are just ridiculously expensive for a winter weight softshell trouser in my opinion.

I don't think you need hardshell other than for wind resitance after you get above the freezing level and softshell is much more durable and less likely to rip than a hardshell fabric, interested to see what the winter is bringing with it regardless!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...