UKC

Gower advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 23 Sep 2015
Heading down to the Gower for a couple of days. I've picked up a copy of the latest local guide and that's really helpful. But if anybody that knows the area wants to recommend a good campsite , a prime sport crag with a good spread of lower grade routes (5,s and 6's)in close proximity to a good trad crag with stuff in the VS - E1 range......I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
 d_b 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Nicholaston Farm at Reynoldston is a good camp site. Friendly, with a farm shop on site and just above the 3 tors area. 3 cliffs bay is maybe a 20 min walk.
 Greenbanks 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Just watch out for snakes!

(
 The Ivanator 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Lewes Castle at Fall Bay Fall Bay to Mewslade shares the parking with Rhossili Rhossili Beach.
Loads of good Trad at Fall Bay and lots of decent low/mid grade sport at Mermaid Wall (Rhossili). Mermaid Wall is very tidal though, access varies from about 5 hours with a low Spring tide to no access at all on Neaps (low tide has to be below about 2m to get to the climbs). There is some other Sport on the levels above the beach at Rhossili Trial Wall Area but the stuff off the beach is much better.
Topos for the Beach Sport at Rhossili are not in the recent selective "Gower Rock" guide, but are available on the SWMC wiki http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/wiki/Rhossili
 summo 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Camp at Piton Cross (smaller and quieter, but 3km to pub), or Llanngenneth (big and busier, 1km to pub) and little farther along the beach to crags. I would go for piton cross.
OP alastairmac 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:
Thanks very much for all the advice. Really helpful. Snakes?
Andy Gamisou 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

> Thanks very much for all the advice. Really helpful. Snakes?

Yes, those of us that live in countries with 'real' snakes will be seriously sniggering.
 timbo 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Saw a fairly sizeable adder at Pennard Buttress a couple of weekends ago. it slithered under a rock before i could take a picture. I decided against moving the rock to look for it again.
 d_b 25 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

There are adders. Technically venomous but harmless in practice. You would need to go out of your way to be bitten by one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...