UKC

Medical elective ideas + advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pantoum 23 Sep 2015
Hi,

I'm a 5th year medical student who's elective is scheduled for spring 2017. I was wondering whether anyone knew of any way of combining a medical elective with a mountain expedition, or would have any useful contacts within this field? I'd have about 13 weeks in total.

Cheers.
 alasdair19 23 Sep 2015
In reply to pantoum:

self organise an expedition self appointment as medic officer. organise first aid kit, go climbing write essay. mate signs you off as expedition medic.
OP pantoum 23 Sep 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

I'm probably not experienced enough either medically or in terms of climbing to organise one on my own is my main problem. I was more looking to latch on to an existing expedition opportunity..
 planetmarshall 23 Sep 2015
In reply to pantoum:

Try Explorers Connect, maybe.

http://www.explorersconnect.com
 splat2million 24 Sep 2015
In reply to pantoum:

Step 1) Use Google Maps to look at mountainous areas and the nearest a hospital
Step 2) Email them and ask to come

But seriously it depends a lot on what else you are looking for. I can suggest some of the following specifics:

Kilembe Mines Hospital is at the foot of the Rwenzori Mountains - I worked there fore a month a couple of years ago and could send you the email for the medical director if you are interested. I know they take elective students. That would also give you some experience of fairly-rural African medicine. The Rwenzori Mountains take about 10 days to climb - only problem is that there aren't other mountains once they're done.

New Zealand is another good, but very different, choice. Lots of hospitals take elective students and many are near some excellent mountains. More competitive for elective placements though. I did my elective on the North Island at Taranaki Base Hospital (Mt Taranaki is a cool walk but is only a day trip!) but the bigger mountains are on the South Island. Not exactly an expedition venue but some fun climbing / mountaineering / hiking.

The IPPG rescue post at Machermo in Nepal takes elective students. Again it is competitive but potentially worth it and would give you some great experience treating altitude illness. Your dates would need to match one of their seasons. Take a look at http://www.ippg.net/machermo-porter-shelter-rescue-post/
 1step2far 24 Sep 2015
In reply to pantoum:

Have you looked at the medics guide to work and electives around the world? It's got lists of hospitals and clinics worldwide!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...