UKC

Winter is coming. What TV shows?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 23 Sep 2015
Evening sofa surfers.

What TV shows or box sets would you recommend for my winter's viewing pleasure?
 Axel Smeets 23 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

There's only one TV series which has ever truly drawn me in. And the second series is starting this autumn.

The Returned.
 Dave Garnett 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Les Revenants, not the US version, you mean? Brilliant and haunting, the French Twin Peaks and great music too.
 The New NickB 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

First series still available on All4.
OP The Lemming 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Bit confused. Are/is these/it a series dubbed with subtitles?
 Axel Smeets 23 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Yes, that's correct. Really, really good viewing. I don't have the time nor the inclination to watch endless TV box sets or series, but this really got me. Highly recommend.

I think the first series consists of six, one hour or so episodes so it's not like you have a huge amount of catching up to do in time for the second series (date not confirmed yet).

Post edited at 22:34
 Axel Smeets 23 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Just checked.....it's eight episodes.
 tomrainbow 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

A few years late on this but loving Friday Night Lights at the moment.

Bloodline (also with Kyle Chandler) was excellent too.

Both on Netflix.
 colinakmc 23 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
If you haven't watched it already , House of Cards is mesmerising. 3 series, not sure if it's coming back. Netflix again.
 ActionSte 23 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The Wire
Game of Thrones
Archer
Sopranos
Review with Forrest MacNeil
 mcanuda 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The Walking Dead - 5 seasons to catch up. Gore & drama in one )
 Doad13 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If you have Netflix there are a few on there I have become fond of:
Narcos
Sense8
House of cards
Bridge / broen / born (depending on the country)
Lilehammer (has finished now)

Additionally many of the US shows are starting back up:
Gotham
American horror story
Walking dead
Blindspot (new series)
Player (new series)

Lastly if you have discovery I recommend anything with Ed Stafford. His shows draw me in a lot more than the other guy who's name crops up on here once a week!
 Chris the Tall 24 Sep 2015
In reply to colinakmc:

Yep, House of cards is very good. Just about to start 3rd series - but I assumed it ended with him arranging his own assassination, as per the original, so it would have to the final series

Looking forward to a new series of the returned, as much for the Mogwai soundtrack as anything, and I agree with everyone recommending game of thrones - I expected to hate it, thinking it would be all Lord of the rings type shite, but was hooked immediately.
 graeme jackson 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

NCIS resumes this Friday (as does NCIS new Orleans). Everything else on TV is crap apart from titchmarsh on Capability Brown on More4 tonight.
OP The Lemming 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Yep, House of cards is very good. Just about to start 3rd series - but I assumed it ended with him arranging his own assassination, as per the original, so it would have to the final series

Truthfully, I found the last couple of episodes of House of Cards a bit of an anticlimax. The first two series were firecrackers out of the gate and I assumed that series three would improve on that.

But once you become President from nowhere, then there really isn't much that the scriptwriters can do to up the stakes. Personally, if Frank had have stayed in the shadows of power then there would have been more scope for skulduggery. The first two series had agendas for Frank's own ends with great stories.

I thought Series three was just bitty.
In reply to The Lemming:
No one has mentioned Breaking Bad yet?

My favourite so far. Last episode was fantastic.

..and for comedy Phone Shop is my other favourite. Genuinely laugh out loud and consistently too. on 4OD
Post edited at 11:56
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> No one has mentioned Breaking Bad yet?

> My favourite so far. Last episode was fantastic.

I'm saving the last serese for this winter. I'm going through them all again as a build up.

Daft question, even though I have see all the other episodes some of the dialogue was in Spanish. Should I have see any subtitles, or was I supposed to be left in the dark about what was spoken as part of the plot?

Basically, should I be hunting for subs?
In reply to The Lemming:
no need for subtitles, they are provided if needed
you are in for a treat
Post edited at 12:00
 The New NickB 24 Sep 2015
the thread in general:

How do you find time for all of this TV / boxset watching?
In reply to The New NickB:

children. Come home from work, make dinner, bath them, story...put them to bed...then what?
 Morgan Woods 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Narcos and Mr Robot are worth checking out.

> the thread in general:

> How do you find time for all of this TV / boxset watching?

Probably the same way that you find time to surf the web and this site?
In reply to The Lemming:

> Probably the same way that you find time to surf the web and this site?

Definitely not! Do I detect an edge to your response? It was simply a question!

> Definitely not! Do I detect an edge to your response?

No more than a perceived edge, that I read in your question. How I choose to waste my spare time is up to me, wouldn't you agree?
In reply to The Lemming:
> No more than a perceived edge, that I read in your question. How I choose to waste my spare time is up to me, wouldn't you agree?

You perceived wrongly!

I wasn't asking you how you waste your spare time. Which is why the question was directed to the thread, not you!

I just surprised by the sheer number of recommendations some people were making.
Post edited at 14:59
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm re watching detectorist, apparently there's another series this autumn as well. If you haven't seen it it's an absolute jem.
 mike123 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Another vote for narcos . Hopefully the shield is still on Netflix , watched 2 series last winter and hoping to pick it up this one .
Removed User 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I thought the Fargo series was surprisingly good. Not really related to the film, if you have or haven't seen it, but shares a similar feel.
In reply to mike123:

> Another vote for narcos . Hopefully the shield is still on Netflix , watched 2 series last winter and hoping to pick it up this one .

I re-watched The Shield front to back on Netflix, "bad cop and worse cop". Excellent.
Also a big up for the animated series Archer, which takes telly to areas seldom visited with real-life actors....
 Dave Garnett 24 Sep 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
> Also a big up for the animated series Archer, which takes telly to areas seldom visited with real-life actors....

I catch this sometimes when I'm in the States. Rare US adult humour, in that it's both adult and humorous!
Post edited at 21:06
 Alyson 25 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If you haven't already seen it, the original Danish TV series of The Killing ('Forbrydelsen') is brilliant. I'm halfway through season 1 and totally hooked.
 RyanOsborne 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Alyson:

+1 for this. Hopefully season 2 will go up on netflix at some point. It's a slow burner, so you have to be in the mood for it though.
OP The Lemming 25 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If people like slow burners , and the mockumentary humour is their thing, then I highly recommend Thick of it.
 Sankey 25 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

True Detective, police procedural combined with existential angst.
OP The Lemming 25 Sep 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Some good stuff there.

Thanks chaps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...