UKC

Saddleworth Outdoor Festival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The SOF is taking place over the first weekend in October. I've not been to it before (maybe it's the first one?) but it looks fun and friendly. If you're anywhere near local, then it might be an entertaining way to spend a day or two.

http://saddleworthdiscoverywalks.co.uk/saddleworth-outdoor-festival/

In reply to Frank the Husky:

Is it just me that thinks a view from Ladow Rocks looking into Derbyshire, is not fully in place on the front page of Saddleworth Outdoor Festival?
Saddleworth being fully in the County of Lancashire
Its not as though Saddleworth has not views of its own.

Lusk 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> Saddleworth being fully in the County of Lancashire

Yorkshire really!

In reply to Lusk:

The Romans had a fort at Castleshaw, so its not really Yorkshire,
In reply to Name Changed 34: That's a very good question. I'll ask the guy running the festival.

Sean Kelly 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Well as I am in the area during that time Martin I might well renew my acquaintance with Den Lane. I first climbed there circa 1973. Hope to see you too.
Cheers
Sean
In reply to Sean Kelly:

you know half of it is shut now
 Tom Valentine 25 Sep 2015

The best half
 Tom Valentine 25 Sep 2015

Are you saying it's part of Italy, because that makes about as much sense as saying it's in Lancashire.
 robin mueller 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Are you saying it's part of Italy, because that makes about as much sense as saying it's in Lancashire.

Actually, there is some sense in the Lancastrian connection. This from Wikipedia:

"For centuries Saddleworth was linked, ecclesiastically, with the parish of Rochdale and was long talked of as the part of Yorkshire where Lancastrians lived."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddleworth

Tom Valentine 26 Sep 2015
In reply to robin mueller:
Thank you for pointing out it was a part of Yorkshire. Obviously it is on the "wrong" side of the Pennines, and local government changes mean it was lost to Yorkshire, but it became part of Greater Manchester as opposed to Lancashire.
But you are right about ecclesiastical matters, since it was part of Rochdale parish. Does that make Rochdale part of Yorkshire?
Post edited at 10:43

I think I was quite clear about why it made more sense to link Saddleworth to Lancashire than Italy.

Rochdale was of course historically part of Lancashire, so it's not surprising that someone might assume Saddleworth was Lancashire too.

Many of these new "Greater manchester" towns are full of people who don't care for the new label. My home town of Bolton is full of Lancastrians who aren't impressed by the idea that they are in some way Mancunian. I can imagine the same may be true for Rochdale and surrounding areas.
 marsbar 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Lusk:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I should imagine that no-one who talks like a Lanc wants to be thought of as a Manc.
In reply to marsbar:

> That would be an ecumenical matter.

Yes!

Imagine a Lancastrian's chagrin at being told that, in future, he would be living in Greater Manchester.

Now imagine the reaction of a Yorkshireman being told the same thing.
But what about the reaction of a Lancastrian living in Yorkshire, when told the same?

There must have been a few spontaneous combustions.

I believe this phenomenon is known locally as "ecky thump."
Post edited at 21:40

No, I'm not saying that.
As you are probably aware some people have not yet come to terms with the boundary changes of the 70's.
When they do, the realisation will dawn that not only are they no longer ruled by Rome, but that Yorkshire [and others]are also a past administrations, and so on and on.

The church link is interesting, but can we trust Wikepeda on local matters? after all it has had to field, a correction about the Saddleworth village of Denshaw.

'' On 17 April 2008, local, national and international media reported on Denshaw's entry on Wikipedia which had been vandalised with spoof information. The entry "attracted unwelcome notoriety after it was targeted" by editors,[2][20] although the offending material was removed after initial reports were published.[21][22] The story featured on the BBC's North West Tonight, a regional news programme,[23] and later picked up by news services as far away as Pakistan.[24]’

and yes your so so right about the beast half of DL being shut and so sad and to no good end
G
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I first climbed there circa 1973.

Just by a any chance are you the Sean who very kindly, sent, by post some old steal Karabiners to a boy who tagged along in Den Lane one evening after he had finished school?
 Tom Valentine 01 Oct 2015

Just found the Denshaw spoof. Hilarious but, as they say, there's no smoke etc etc...
 The New NickB 01 Oct 2015

> Does that make Rochdale part of Yorkshire?

No, you barstewards are already creeping too far down the valley, you should never have been allowed to cross the Calder at Tod, next you will be trying to annex Littleborough!
 Bob 01 Oct 2015

My in-laws are from Saddleworth, always good fun winding them up about being Lancastrian

Note that I am a Lancastrian living in Yorkshire, it's not too bad though as I can just see through the smoke filled clouds to the promised land on the horizon.
 Sean Kelly 04 Oct 2015

Bloody hell! That was a long time ago. Yes, I remember they were incredibly heavy to carry up a climb so when alloys first appeared I ditched them. I'm sure you didn't keep them long?
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I guess it was around 73

Glad of the opportunity to thank you

Thank you Sean.

Yes I still have at least 1 of them !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...