UKC

Kalymnos first time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flash13 24 Sep 2015

Hi,

I'm heading out to kalymnos for a couple of weeks next week and just looking for some advice.

Are there any stand out number of crags I should visit? I climb up to 7a+ and my partner at a stretch 6b.

Where is the best place to get food?

And any great restaurants that we should eat at.

Any other advice is welcome. I'm staying in panormos.
Post edited at 14:13
 just one more 25 Sep 2015
In reply to flash13:

Hi
Just back from my first week in Kalymnos. I climbed sixty routes from 6a to 7a+. It is the best place I have been for sheer consistency of outstanding routes of all styles from perfect grey slabs to wicked tufa, often on the same crag. So many good crags, but stand out ones for me were Panorama, Grande Grotta,Arginonta,Symplegades and anything on
Telendos.
Also the friendliest place going climbing wise and the nicest locals, loads of great places to eat, we really liked the Aegean Tavern.
Have a good one

Steve
OP flash13 25 Sep 2015
In reply to just one more:

Cheers,

I feel the pressure to climb 120 routes now

Thanks for the advice il be sure to check those places out.

Martyn
 Dandan 25 Sep 2015
In reply to flash13:

Kalymnos is so easy and so geared towards climbers that you don't really need to worry about any of those things!

You'll have trouble finding a bad crag, but you have to visit the grande grotte, I think it's a local bye-law or something, there are a couple of 7a/+ you'll be able to get on in the cave and plenty of easier stuff for your partner on panorama or afternoon, the two adjoining crags.
Also get to Secret Garden if you can, well worth the extra travel.

I've never found a bad restaurant yet, I agree that Aegean Tavern is top notch, I also liked Prego and Manifesto. If you have self catering facilities, all the local shops have a good range of fresh produce (including great bread) and groceries.

The only other thing I would say is to rent a scooter if you can, Panormos is a bit of a walk from any crag, scooters are dirt cheap and you can rent one on a standard driving licence, it massively increases the choice of crags. The roads are very quiet so even if you have never ridden a scooter, its not a stressful experience, make sure you wear at least a climbing helmet or the bike helmet supplied, ignore the hatless locals!
Ysgo 25 Sep 2015
In reply to flash13:

To add to the very useful advice already given, I'd mention, that most restaurants give you a free dessert, especially if you have a starter. At Panos restaurant they also give you a load of free wine afterwards (usually about half what you've already drank). If you get a drink from a bar, they give you free bar snacks with it. If you go about halfway through Massouri there's a massive bar on the right with pool tables in, and they give you really good bar snacks. Especially if there's loads of you, and if you order a few rounds.
Also on the way up to/down from Poets, there's an amazing ice cream parlour (gelateria), and as you're walking/riding back through Massouri the bar on the right (forgotten it's name) with loads of climbers in it is great.
OP flash13 25 Sep 2015
In reply to flash13:

All excellent advice, I mean I've only ever heard great things about kaly so really looking forward to getting out there and it's my gfs first proper climbing trip.

We do have a scooter booked as I knew it was pretty essential.

I'm sure I will know people out there as having worked in a climbing wall your always bound to bump into someone you know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...