UKC

Recommend me a vacuum cleaner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Yes, really.

I bought a cheap, crappy Hoover a year ago, because spending money on household appliances makes my @rse ache, and whilst I saved a lot of beer money, the amount of dust in the carpets is making my asthma go nuts. I used to have a very whizzy Dyson job which kept my lungs honeymoon-fresh, but that cost 350 quid - and if I'm going to blow that kind of money on something frivolous, it'll have an Arcteryx label on it.

Maximum of two hundred quid and bagless. I just know the UKC massif won't let me down.
 marsbar 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

II was going to say this

http://www.vax.co.uk/carpet-cleaners-and-washers/6151f-1-1-132432-00#produc...

But it isn't bagless.

Andy Hardy 24 Sep 2015

If it's the dust in your carpets that's the problem, surely you'd be better off replacing them with hard flooring / laminate (might blow the budget though &#128521
 herbe_rouge 24 Sep 2015

Try Miele, they've got bags but work and don't fall apart like dyson.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2015

I have bought two second hand Dyson's over the years and have never regretted either purchase. The first Dyson DC01 cost me £20 from a carboot sale. I don't knbow how old it was when I got it but it lasted 15 years with me before it died. Well not exactly died, more that it was not cost effective to repair it considering my initial outlay.

My second Dyson, a pet variety cost a bit more, £100 to be exact. The shop did allow me to trade in my old Dyson to sweeten the deal.

Is there a Second-hand Dyson dealer near you?
 marsbar 24 Sep 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Miele is good I agree.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> II was going to say this

> But it isn't bagless.

I have the exact same vacuum which I use to wash my carpets.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> If it's the dust in your carpets that's the problem, surely you'd be better off replacing them with hard flooring / laminate (might blow the budget though &#128521

Laminate downstairs. Upstairs, we had to rip the boards up a few years ago to rewire and strip old CH; they're in a terrible state and would need replacing just to get laminate down properly - in a couple of years I may put decent floorboards down and leave them exposed.

For now, the carpets have to stay. And it's looking like they're trying to force me out.
 the abmmc 24 Sep 2015

Sebo every time, bagged though but brilliant. Mine sooks up everything, especially the dog hairs. Should get one for about £200, there's a place down south that gives you 10% off if you sign up to their newsletter. I did this and they've never newslettered me yet!!
In reply to marsbar:

Do you know, I really like that: a proper Man Tool. It looks sufficiently like an industrial power tool that I'd actually Hoover at least once a month.

Man Tools. Cheap (and justifiable) at any price.
In reply to The Lemming:

Dunno - the Dyson lasted five years and performed well (we bought it on moving into our first house. Imagine our surprise when it turned out that the plain brown carpet was a *patterned* brown carpet), but only because I took out a ridiculous five-year warranty: in the end, it was like Trigger's broom.
 marsbar 24 Sep 2015

They do seem to last well, quite bulky but solid.
 Andrew Wilson 24 Sep 2015

Makita do a cordless vac which fits the 18v battery. Manly enough?
 TMM 24 Sep 2015

Another vote for Miele. Not too pricey when you factor in a 10 year warranty.

Just sent mine back last week after I inadvertently sucked up some water. Machine got louder and louder before finaly dying. Miele sent a courier with a special box and sent it back in less than 5 five working days and it is now working like a charm.

It's had a hard life over 5 years as we have renovated two houses in that time so it has sucked huge amounts of plaster and had also dealt with plenty of cat and dog hair.
In reply to marsbar:

Wickes have this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Vax-6131T-Multifunction-Cleaner/p/132200?CAWELAID=1...

For seventy quid. Job done: time spent on this is time I won't ever get back. Thanks all - once again, humbled by the omniscience of INC.
In reply to TMM and herbs:

I'm not actually that sold on miele - my impression is that they're not what they were.

I work as a locum vet and most practices have a miele industrial washing machine. They seem to need a lot of attention and definitely don't like dog hair.

Graeme G 24 Sep 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

> fall apart like dyson.

Glad it's not just me. Dyson are crap.
 TMM 24 Sep 2015

> I'm not actually that sold on miele - my impression is that they're not what they were.

> I work as a locum vet and most practices have a miele industrial washing machine. They seem to need a lot of attention and definitely don't like dog hair.

We can only judge from our own experiences. My folks have a 12 year old Miele washing machine that has never put a foot (or a drum) wrong. Our Miele dishwasher is fine but no better than Bosch one's I have previously owned.

I have used Dysons and Vax and in the past and neither have been as effective or lasted as long as the Miele I am currently using who's only failure has been down to my own ineptitude.

For an independent view Which magazine rated Miele as their top performing machines as well.

Good luck with your search.
In reply to TMM:

Ye gods, I'm genuinely getting drawn into this one, despite myself. It's like not looking at fat ladies' @rses in Aldi.....

I think the whole 'I've got a 90 year old Miele and it makes ten-quid notes out of pocket lint' thing is kind of the point: they used to be great, but the bean counters have taken over and in about five years, they'll have ceded the high ground. Certainly, in the last two years I've locumed at at least four practices where in-warranty machines have gone on the blink and last weekend, whilst on call, I tried to dry my work trousers in a Miele condenser dryer: after FOUR hours, they were hot, but no less wet. The nurses weren't remotely surprised by this. (I actually had to put them on at that point).

Etc etc.
 pec 24 Sep 2015

You need a Henry. After years of buying cheap (crap) hoovers and seeing how crap other people's "wonderful" and overpriced Dysons are we splashed out on a Karcher (German engineering don't you know) which turned out to be the worst designed hoover ever built and so eventually got a Henry and its bloody brilliant, well as brilliant as a hoover can ever be.

Read the Amazon reviews fro them if you want more evidence.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NUMATIC-HVR200-12-Vacuum-Cleaner-Bagged/dp/B00N3MDS...
 marsbar 24 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Be careful with those Hooray Henrys.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmC62Eg82E8
 More-On 24 Sep 2015

I can't believe I'm responding to a question regarding vacuum cleaners, but our Gtech Airram is so good I had to share!
It simply does the tedious job of vacuuming very well and beats any Dyson, Miele etc that we've tried.
It can also be taken apart for cleaning and spares are well priced (not that we've needed any yet).
In reply to More-On:

> I can't believe I'm responding to a question regarding vacuum cleaners

And yet here you are, in the Expanding Circle of Shame. I've had to buy one of the recommendations, just to get out of it.

john spence 24 Sep 2015

I've just got rid of our Dyson....it was just gathering dust.
 More-On 24 Sep 2015

I could say 'tell us how you get on', but probably best just to shuffle off quietly before we're spotted!
 Mark Kemball 24 Sep 2015

Why bagless? Had a dyson because I liked the idea of bagless, but really did not like the mess of frequently emptying it, nor the fact that the filters (not cheap) continuously needed cleaning or replacing. When it finally died, we bought a Sebo Storm, well worth it, highly recommended.
 radddogg 25 Sep 2015
In reply to john spence:

We got rid of ours too....it sucked
 Siward 25 Sep 2015

Our Dysons have served us well for years. Also, when one really had had it we took advantage of the flat rate (£79 iirc) service scheme whereby a dyson man in a van came round and replaced virtually every part, leaving it as good as new. Its still running now and that was years ago.

I approve of the repair not replace vibe there.
 jimjimjim 25 Sep 2015
In reply to TMM:
I'm a painter and decorator and we use a henry, cheap tough and reliable but if miele do a ten year warranty I'd seriously consider getting one of those. When I've use them in people's houses they are brilliant. Bags are expensive though. Dyson on the other hand I find to be completely crap. They never work, are over designed and far too expensive.
 TMM 25 Sep 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

Good point on the bags and filters. I have been using non-genuine bags off eBay as OE part is a daft price.

I notice the current warranty is 2 years or another £50 to extend to 10 years. I recall that when I made my purchase there was a special offer to extend for just £10 which makes it a no brainer.

Miele are still top rated by Which for vacuums so they cannot have slipped too much in quality.

Recently had to replace washing machine and dryer. The Miele costs were huge, I could be a dryer four times over for the same money which rather negates any quality issues. Horses for courses I guess.
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015

Henry hoovers aren't the best at sucking perhaps, but they're really robust and 'keep smiling' , and seem easily repairable.
 Jasonic 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Miele or Henry- latter industrial quality at half the price and made in the UK!
 SAF 28 Sep 2015

Get a Vax, there 2 year guarantee is great, if you manage to blow it up in two years they give you a replacement. If you pay a small admin fee (less than £5 i think), they just send you the new one without picking up the old one, so they'll never know if it really did blow up... Vacuum cleaner for life!!!!
 Hooo 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Jasonic:

Henrys are great for work, tough and suck up anything, but they are shite at filtering. No good for my (or the OPs) asthma.
I got a Dyson as a wedding present 11 years ago and it's still going, despite some heavy DIY use. The design has loads of really annoying "features", and it needs a complicated thorough clean regularly, but it does a very good job and has never needed repair.
 petellis 28 Sep 2015
Definately not a f@*$ing dyson - does anything they make not produce a million decibels of noise and look like a child designed it? The hoovers are loud and the hand dryers are comparable with a vulcan bomber.

Miele are good but like any company they do a range and the bottom end are built down to the same price constraints as any of the competition are. I got one of their decent ones and its like the perfect german frau: she could suck a golf-ball through a hose-pipe but runs quiet enough that you can talk over her without raising your voice.
Post edited at 20:53
 Trangia 29 Sep 2015

I don't think anyone has mentioned Vax?

I've got one which I inherited from a dead relative a couple of years ago. It's brilliant and bagless. You can see the dust building up in the transparent cylinder and you just unclip that when it's full and empty it into the dustbin.
 The New NickB 29 Sep 2015

Another Miele fan here, can't comment on longevity because I've only had it a few months, but despite being pretty compact is the most powerful vac I've ever had. Replaces a 10 year old Dyson that I have never got on with, bulky and a real pain on the stairs with really disappointing suction, broke down a few times as well.
 robhorton 29 Sep 2015

We've got a reconditioned Dyson which I think we paid about £50 for 8 years ago and still going strong. Might be worth seeing if there's anywhere locally that repairs/sells them.
 Jenny C 30 Sep 2015
I love my Dyson, but our local vacuum shop reckons that the modern ones are ****, so worth thinking about the recommendations of buying second hand.

Not convinced by bagless, love the fact you can see all the crap and have no excuse for forgetting to empty the bag but find it very messy to empty.
 Fredt 30 Sep 2015

Don't get a Hoover.

I got one and it sucks.

fatbuoybazza 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux!
 gethin_allen 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Glad it's not just me. Dyson are crap.

What I've found is that new Dyson are crap and old Dyson are much more robust and twice the weight.

I'd second what the lemming said above about finding an old refurbished Dyson, something like a DC04. My parents old one worked for at least 10 years and my sister's one is as old and still going despite 2 house renovations.

I was too tight to buy a Dyson and bought a Hoover whirlwind which out of the box was easily as powerful as a dyson but the filter clogs easily due to poor design and cleaning it is a nightmare job.

I was given a vax power 5 antipet and that has most of the same issues as the Hoover.

The biggest tip for the the OP would be to clean more often.
In reply to all:

Went and got pretty much the first recommendation: Wickes are doing the Vax 6131 for seventy quid. Can breathe again.

Thanks to all - bizarrely comprehensive critiques of modern vacuum cleaners; next week, food blenders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...