UKC

Parents buying cigarettes for child - legal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 25 Sep 2015
A patient of mine smokes 15 a day and is only 15, when I asked her she said her mother buys cigarettes for her.
What is the law regarding this - Ive advised her on the risks but to me it seems wrong that she should have access to this drug at all.
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

It's against the law for people to buy them for people under 18, but I don't know if that applies to parents and their offspring at home.
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015

She'll be changing her lung DNA in a way which doesn't apply to people who start smoking as adults, meaning the lung cancer risk is higher.
 winhill 25 Sep 2015

This is a result of the outlawing of the sale of cigarettes to youngsters.

When I were a lad, my mum used to send me to the shop to get her cigarettes.
 Dax H 25 Sep 2015

Considering its soon to be against the law to smoke with a kid in the car you would like to think there is a law about parent's buying for their kids but it's possible that one has never been made because what type of idiot would do that in the first place.
Sounds like child abuse to me.
 Dave the Rave 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Dax H:

> Considering its soon to be against the law to smoke with a kid in the car you would like to think there is a law about parent's buying for their kids but it's possible that one has never been made because what type of idiot would do that in the first place.

> Sounds like child abuse to me.

Would that be the same as parents putting girls on the pill at 15?
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Seems an odd comparison?
cb294 25 Sep 2015

Why? If I had realized my daughters were having sex at age 15, not providing the pill would have been the greater abuse.

Do you believe that parents can stop their kids from having sex when this prevalent in their group of friends? In some cases maybe, but normally the peer group will dominate behaviour.

Fortunately for me this is/was not an issue, but I know exactly what I would consider the responsible parental response.

CB

balmybaldwin 25 Sep 2015

> Would that be the same as parents putting girls on the pill at 15?

No the equivalent of your example would be putting a 15yr old on zovirex(sp?) Which blocks the nicotine receptors and there for remove the risk of addiction.

This would be more like prostituting your 15yr old, but paying the clients a few quid to do it
In reply to Timmd:

> Seems an odd comparison?

Not in the case of 'child abuse'. I see buying ciggies and putting kids on the pill when underage similarly. They're underage in both circumstances.
 Bobling 25 Sep 2015

It's a complete guess but she might be lying?
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015
> Not in the case of 'child abuse'. I see buying ciggies and putting kids on the pill when underage similarly. They're underage in both circumstances.

Only one directly causes harm though. The two aren't comparable.
Post edited at 21:16
In reply to Timmd:

> Only one directly causes harm though. The two aren't comparable.

Doesn't underage sex increase the risk of cervical cancer?
Andy Gamisou 25 Sep 2015
In reply to winhill:

> When I were a lad, my mum used to send me to the shop to get her cigarettes.

Sure your moniker's not Dunhill?
OP The Potato 25 Sep 2015
Being on the pill controls periods as well as being a sex aid, it can also help reduce acne.
Cigarettes are addictive drugs, the pill is controlled and monitored by a doctor
Post edited at 22:06
 Timmd 25 Sep 2015
> Doesn't underage sex increase the risk of cervical cancer?

It probably does actually.

I think it's from knowing of seven people who have smoked & who've gone onto become ill and die of something horrible in their 60's, it's probably left me seeing smoking as being something of a death sentence.

Post edited at 23:15
 Morgan Woods 26 Sep 2015

So isn't there some sort of mandatory reporting in this situation?
 JayPee630 26 Sep 2015

Are you playing the role of reactionary thick right winger for laughs?
 Gills 26 Sep 2015

There's many reasons for girls 15 and under to be on the pill.

It helps regulate thier cycle
It reduces the heaviness of a bleed
It reduces pain during bleeds
It helps reduce embarrassing acne
Birth control obviously

There are a lot of young girls on the pill for any range of reasons.
Also if they want to have sex they will, whether on the pill or not. sad fact but true. If they are going to have sex anyway are they not better having extra protection?
 marsbar 26 Sep 2015
Donald82 26 Sep 2015

If it is illegal, the law shouldn't be applied. Criminalising people for this sh1t helps no one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...