UKC

Sicily

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnbb 26 Sep 2015
I am considering going to Sicily in November for climbing. I have been twice in San Vito lo Capo (two weeks in total), last time October 2013. Has there been any (significant) development since then? New sectors/crags? Are any of the other areas in Sicily worth of a visit, and if so which ones?

Thanks
jbb
 scott titt 26 Sep 2015
In reply to johnbb:
There is still constant development at San Vito. It is definitely worth buying the latest Gebro Verlag guide 4th edition) for the newest crags, especially lots between Bunker and Portella della Vache. There has also been a fair bit of new development at Parco Cerriolo as well as some infills at El Bahira. Some of the new crags above Castelluzo (Corvio etc) are now closed, they were in a nature reserve.
San Vito is now very much the epicentre of Sicilian climbing, the nearby Palermo crags are not as well used these days and are getting a bit green in places. The ambience of some of the city crags is a bit strange, the advice is not to wear sandals in case of needles!
The crags in the south of the island are over 5 hours drive away and are mostly not very good.
 andyman666999 26 Sep 2015
In reply to johnbb:
I am heading on my first visit to San Vito in October , I have seen on the internet that in addition to what seems like quality sport climbing there has been a deep water soloing event there, I can't find any more information on this. Does anyone know if there is a topo for any of the DWS?
Thanks
Andy
Post edited at 12:48
 scott titt 28 Sep 2015
In reply to andyman666999:

The DWS is at Cala Firriato, there is no online topo. Ask at YMCA Climbing House in San Vito, they may have details.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...