UKC

Supermoon tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 27 Sep 2015
Anyone staying/getting up to watch it? If the clouds stay away, I'll be setting up my camera to see if I can photograph it.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Anyone staying/getting up to watch it? If the clouds stay away, I'll be setting up my camera to see if I can photograph it.

When did 'supermoons' appear - they seem to be every couple of weeks now and for 50 years I had never heard the expression?

Chris

PS I believe they are pretty much indistinguishable from a regular full moon to the naked eye.
 mark s 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

>
> PS I believe they are pretty much indistinguishable from a regular full moon to the naked eye.

i think you are right,just a bit of media hype. suppose the papers encouraging real astronomy instead of astrology is a good thing
 streapadair 27 Sep 2015

This one will be - there's an eclipse 2 - 3am.

Apparently they are about 5% bigger, and are noticeably bigger to the eye.
In reply to mark s:

> i think you are right,just a bit of media hype. suppose the papers encouraging real astronomy instead of astrology is a good thing

Except 'supermoon' is a term coined by astrologers and not astronomers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon

Chris

In reply to streapadair:

The full eclipse isn't until about 3.10 am., so I'll put my alarm clock on for 3.

.. but if it's like the last few nights there may easily be a problem with a temperature inversion (where I live).
 winhill 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It's a perigee moon, the moon is at it's closest to the earth. it is visibly larger and brighter, last night was quite good.

Tonight's is also a total lunar eclipse, which will be red with the moon being lower in the sky.

It won't happen again til 2033.

I've set the alarm clock.
 winhill 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

For most of the UK it is 03:47 at max.

Begins: Mon, 28 Sep 2015, 01:11
Maximum: Mon, 28 Sep 2015, 03:47
Ends: Mon, 28 Sep 2015, 06:22
 ThunderCat 27 Sep 2015
In reply to winhill:

> It won't happen again til 2033.

...and if this good paper is correct....we won't be around to see it!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/497171/Supermoon-triggers-end-of-world...

AAAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
In reply to winhill:

> It's a perigee moon, the moon is at it's closest to the earth. it is visibly larger and brighter, last night was quite good.

> Tonight's is also a total lunar eclipse, which will be red with the moon being lower in the sky.

> It won't happen again til 2033.

Are you sure about that - they seem pretty regular?

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html

Chris

> Are you sure about that - they seem pretty regular?

> Chris

No, we're talking about two different things: the occurence of lunar eclipses, and the passage of the moon which brings it closest to the Earth. Two completely unrelated things. Quite rare for them to coincide.
 peppermill 27 Sep 2015
In reply to ThunderCat:
Oh my.

The chap the wrote that seems to be the current weather harbinger of doom for the express.

Edit to ad this.

http://www.nathanrao.com/press

Hahahahahahahaahahahahah!!!!!!!!
Post edited at 19:29
 gethin_allen 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The full eclipse isn't until about 3.10 am., so I'll put my alarm clock on for 3.

2:47 is the best time according to the sky at night.

I have my first day in a new job tomorrow so I don't think I'll bother staying up.
 Cheese Monkey 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It's times like this I like working nights outdoors
Andy Gamisou 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> It's times like this I like working nights outdoors

Cat burglar?
 winhill 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Looking like we'll get cloud at 0230 now. blocks. might be best to stay up to see what you can and then get to bed if the cloud comes in.
 skog 27 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

I think that's 02:47GMT, which means 03:47 for viewers in the UK.

Looks likely to be cloudy here.
 gethin_allen 27 Sep 2015
In reply to skog:

> I think that's 02:47GMT, which means 03:47 for viewers in the UK.

> Looks likely to be cloudy here.

Ah well, I still won't be waiting up for it.
 aln 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Isn't tonight's event about the lunar eclipse rather than a so-called Super moon?
In reply to aln:

Well, it's about both. A lunar eclipse that happens to coincide with a 'super moon'.

There's not a trace of the 'blood' yet, even tho the eclipse is now well advanced (and it's a clear sky here) at 2.55 am. The eclipse is just fine, though
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

A good view here in Barnsley, more of a brown rather than red, definitely worth staying up for
In reply to John Simpson:

As an eclipse, yes, it's really impressive. One of the best I can remember, because it's just such a clear night. But the blood thing has been wildly exaggerated - it's just very slightly brown, as you say.

To see it properly you have to go out of doors really, away from any street lights ... but there's nobody around in my road ...
 skog 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It's a bit hazy here, but visible.

We woke up our eldest daughter and watched the last of the white crescent gradually pinken and vanish.

It's more mud than blood, but still well worth losing a little sleep for!
In reply to skog:

It's looking amazing here now. Definitely the best I've ever seen. Obviously a total eclipse, because it's become really quite faint now, and quite a lot redder. Very spooky indeed. Various birds/nightlife making funny noises, I think because they're disturbed by it.
 winhill 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Just put the kids back to bed, lovely clear skies here. The colour darkens just because there's less light, it was redder when there was enough light to contrast but not drown out the red.

Makes you wonder what people made of it before they understood what on earth (moon) was going on.

Going for a talk next month on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism , those guys must have seemed like demi-gods at the time.
 Tom Valentine 28 Sep 2015

It's all that coil dust int'air, owd cock.
OP Only a hill 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It's actually quite vividly red from here. I guess it depends on local atmospheric conditions.
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Coil dust went years agu si thi, ar remember when it wer all black fields rand ere yung un.
Post edited at 03:56
 skog 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I wonder how much the conditions in the part of the atmosphere the sunlight shone through to get to the moon, first, matter. I suppose that'd be a more diffuse effect, if noticeable at all.

The haze here is still stopping it from being as good as it could be, unfortunately.
 Gazlynn 28 Sep 2015
In reply to skog:

> The haze here is still stopping it from being as good as it could be, unfortunately.

Agreed here in the Scottish central belt.

Cheers

Gaz

"Last coal before M1" .........
In reply to Only a hill:

My best effort from earlier.
https://flic.kr/p/ye4SvJ

Night all!
In reply to Only a hill:
> My best effort from earlier.

> Night all!

A much different shade to what I saw, great picture. You'd have to be happy with that.
Post edited at 05:57

> "Last coal before M1" .........

Eyup, sorry I must be been thick, I don't get this reference.
 Postmanpat 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I don't understand. Was there actually an eclipse i.e. did the moon partially disappear?
I got up at 3.30am and there was a very brown moon. Very nice.
A shop on Dodworth Road had this sign up for years. Maybe a firm like your Darkside Developments was doing conversions that relied on lumps of the stuff.
Post edited at 08:24
 skog 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> I don't understand. Was there actually an eclipse i.e. did the moon partially disappear?

There was a total, umbral eclipse - the whole moon was within the dark part of Earth's shadow.

The moon doesn't disappear during eclipses as the Earth's atmosphere always refracts some light round onto it - more red light than other visible wavelengths, so it looks dark red or brown.
 Postmanpat 28 Sep 2015
In reply to skog:

> There was a total, umbral eclipse - the whole moon was within the dark part of Earth's shadow.

> The moon doesn't disappear during eclipses as the Earth's atmosphere always refracts some light round onto it - more red light than other visible wavelengths, so it looks dark red or brown.

Ah, thx. Good, I can tick that then

> A shop on Dodworth Road had this sign up for years. Maybe a firm like your Darkside Developments was doing conversions that relied on lumps of the stuff.

Ah I see, never saw that. I have no connection to Darkside Developments other than working in the same industry.
Cheers - I am pleased with the shots I took. It was quite something to watch!

Thanks for the disclaimer. I didn't really mean "your", more like "yer".
 thomm 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
Definitely worth the stagger outside, with super-clear skies here in the Thames valley. Since I hadn't turned any lights on, so eyes were fully adjusted (and with the moon conveniently shaded!), I was impressed at the display of stars so close to London. It made me realise that apparent 'light pollution' is as much about never letting our eyes adjust to darkness as it is about the wider problem of light spilling into the atmosphere.
In reply to thomm:

This is definitely true. After I'd been outside for nearly an hour (with my head torch set to the red beam) I was startled by how many stars were visible – a clear band of the Milky Way and many astronomical bodies visible. Normally there's too much light pollution in this area.

Flinticus 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Why do I find out about this the morning after the event??

Now I have to wait until 2033 for the next.
 Sl@te Head 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Wow, can't believe I've seen the Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Meteor Shower and the Northern Lights all from home (Anglesey) this year!
No probs, and it shows the correct use of dialect can change the whole meaning of the phrase.
Post edited at 09:57
 fmck 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

This explains a lot. Not such an event for me.

Got up about half three, couldn't sleep. Stumbled outside to pick up the empty bottles from last nights barbeque. On returning up path from wheelie bin noticed moon looking manky. Cleaned ma glasses, up steps back into kitchen. Farted in kitchen, paused to ensure it didn't follow. Close door behind to trap and return to bed without waking anyone.

Result! cant wait till 2033.
 lone 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Sharon and I saw it from the summit of Great Rhos, New Radnor last night -

J
 Rob Naylor 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Anyone staying/getting up to watch it?

Had to get up at 0400 anyway to drive to Axminster from Kent, so took the opportunity! Good view from Kent.
 wercat 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
Sadly, a bit disappointing in our bit of the eden valley. Lovely clear sky overhead but the eclipse was going on in a bit of the sky where it was becoming misty so was a bit underwhelming compared with one we saw in 2007 - IIRC that happened about 2 or 3 hours earlier and the moon was much higher in the sky - not so affected by ruddy streetlamps either.

The most staggering thing then was the impression given by the delicate shading that the moon was indeed a huge ball of rock and not a flat disc. That impression was not made last night because of the relative dimness and lack of sharpness through the mist.

Very pleased to have seen it at all, as every time we've looked for a lunar eclipse since then it's either been completely overcast or pouring with rain.
Post edited at 16:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...