UKC

MCN Brecon Ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ollie B 28 Sep 2015
Hi,

Been looking at this (http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/events/index_four.html) but wont have the time to reccy the whole route prior torace day, does it have markers along the way? and is it easy to follow?

I understand it's a hill race so need to use a map etc and im not a f*cktard so can do all that but just wanted to know how easy it is to nav (ie can i focus on the running/training rather than faff with time spent learning the route).

Any advice much appreciated.

Ollie
 Welsh Kate 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

Hi Ollie
I don't know the details of MCN's signage, but I do know the area very well. Most of the route is on well established paths, tracks or roads, though the landscape looks very different in some areas because millions trees in South Wales have been felled in the last few years, and those areas of forestry are still marked on the map.

I'd say the most fiddly bits in terms of nav are:
Where the extra loop starts, but there's a checkpoint there so presumably they'll direct you and signage should be good.
Around checkpoint 2 - this looks horrible!
The Bog of Doom after checkpoint 4 - largely because it is indeed hellishly boggy rather than because the nav's particularly difficult.
The ins and outs of the bits of road and PROWs navigating around the northern escarpment.

So those are the bits possibly worth having a closer look at, either in person or just by studying the map. The Where's the Path website is very useful for that, though the map is 1:50 rather than 1:25.
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
 mattrm 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

I did the summer event a few years ago. It was very well signposted and nav was needed. They even posted marshalls at a couple of points to make sure folk went the right way. As you probably know the paths are generally fairly obvious up there, so it's all quite easy. No more than about 10 miles or so between checkpoints as well. Great event and I'd recommend it.
OP Ollie B 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

Brilliant thanks both for the info. Ill just reccy the most 'awful' parts and hope for the best. Might see you there in Dec if the training goes to plan.

Cheers,

Ollie
 liz j 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

I've run Rounds 2 and 3 this year and the signage is excellent. Really friendly, low key events with fantastic scenery and a great place to stay at Talybont if you are travelling from afar. I'm already signed up to Round 4, enter it, you won't be disappointed!
 Graeme Hughes 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

You shouldn't have to look at the map at all. I did it last year and it was very well signed. When it went dark they put up loads of glow sticks and the signs were reflective, so stood out when your light shone on them. There are a lot of signs to follow in the last 13/14 miles (when you come down off Corn DDu) so you just need to keep your wits about you. I'm doing it again this year. See you there?

Graeme
OP Ollie B 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Graeme Hughes:

Excellent news Graeme Y it sounds like I am, I jsut got paid so no excuses now .....

Cheers,

Ollie
 Wonrek 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Ollie B:

MCN events are great. The signage isn't intrusive but it is adequate. I've done this event for the past three years and never had any issues with navigating the course.

One word of warning though, the checkpoints supply water and gels only. There's no food available so you will need to carry any nutrition you might need.

I'm back again this year as it's one of my favourite races so I'll hope to see you all there!
 echo34 30 Sep 2015
Sorry to hijack your thread slightly, but I have not seen this event before and it looks good, I'm considering entering the ultra or the marathon.

How does this compare to the Lakeland 50 in terms of difficulty? I did the L50 this year and since then I haven't done many long runs, so just debating whether to go for the ultra or the marathon. I think I should have time to ramp up the training again for the Ultra if its a similar level to the L50.

liz j 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Wonrek:

Food, who needs food!! Going to be a fun weekend!
 Wonrek 01 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

It's very different.....it's cold. Damn is it cold! It's wet, and very, very boggy! It hasb't got nice cosy checkpoints where you can take a breather and it's likely to have winds so strong that staying upright can be a challenge.

Lakeland, warm, pleasent trail, hard stony path, seats and soups in checkpoints.....

Yep, very different indeed!

The climbs are a little less severe I guess.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...