UKC

NEWS: Sport Climbing One Step Closer to Tokyo 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Sep 2015
IFSC Sport Climbing Delegation presenting in Tokyo, 4 kbAfter the IFSC presented their bid in August this year, sport climbing has today been proposed as an additional event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games by the Tokyo 2020 Additional Event Programme Panel. Sport climbing was one of eight sports shortlisted by the panel in August, and today skateboarding, surfing, baseball/softball, sport climbing and karate are the final five sports which have been recommended for inclusion.

Read more
 Alison 28 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Do we know how many sports out of the 5 will ultimately be chosen for the 2020 Olympics?
In reply to Alison:

It depends on the number of 'events' which get chosen, as explained in Rob's quote:

“Now the Tokyo organising committee have made their nominations it’s up to the IOC to decide on which sports will be admitted to the games in 2020 - fitting them into their 310 event and 10,500 athlete limits as set out in their ‘Agenda 2020’. 306 medals (as of Rio 2016) are already allocated so theoretically that only leaves room for 4 more medals i.e. 2 more sports (male and female in each) or 4 events from a single sport, unless the IOC decide to up the number of events at 2020. It's exciting times for sports climbing as they only require 2 events and a small number of athletes and perfectly embody the Olympic motto of higher, faster, stronger!”
 Steve Woollard 28 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

A sad day for climbing
 jsmcfarland 28 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Anyone who has a problem with this is a numpty tbh, there are plenty of international climbing competitions already, having 1 more with the 'olympic' label attached is hardly going to bring about the end of the world.

Now back to the important questions.......should the finals routes be protected by threads, pitons or bolts!? :P
 andrewmc 28 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I've never understood why so many climbers who argue so forcefully in favour of their freedom to roam the hills and climb the crags unmolested by fees, restrictions and red tape (and in turn polish the rock, strip the vegetation and carve paths into the hillsides) then spend their time bickering about how other people choose to spend their time.
Removed User 28 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Watch out "Climb England" will soon sort out the chop routes and the committee will soon sort out that claim for an E9 in their smartly badged blazers!
 Mike Goldthorp 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Steve Woollard:

> A sad day for climbing

The next step in the evolution of climbing? It's important to make the distinction between indoor/competition climbing and outdoor/lifestyle climbing. I'm not sure what your reasons behind being sad for this change are (?) but I don't think lifestyle climbers, craggers or traditionalists need to feel threatened by this. Has the growth of indoor climbing and competition climbing increased the traffic on outdoor crags, or has it buffered the damage to crags despite the huge growth of participation in climbing?

It also provides more potential careers in climbing, so die-hard climbers can earn a living in the industry they're passionate about whilst maintaining the climbing lifestyle that they want.
Just ideas to consider...
 Lemony 05 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Have to say, I'm not exactly enamoured with the weird "Triathlon" style competition that seems to be proposed.

> According to the IFSC proposal, 60 climbers would compete in the Olympics in three disciplines: sport, bouldering, and speed. The events would take place over four days, and the medalists would be chosen based on the combined results of all three disciplines.

http://www.climbing.com/news/climbing-moves-step-closer-to-2020-olympics/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...