UKC

VIDEO: Salbitschijen South Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Sep 2015
Salbitschijen South Ridge, 3 kbUKC User David Linnett of Bald Eagle Productions has just released his latest video of the premier alpine rock climb Salbitschijen South Ridge 2981m near Göschenen in Central Switzerland. ​This short video features the flora and fauna around the Salbithütte, time lapses, views to the outrageous Westgrat, big towers, super-exposed ridges and giddyfying drops, culminating in the photogenic Gipfelnadel summit pinnacle.

Read more
 Doug 29 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Another nice little video from Me Eagle & team. So what's next ?
 BALD EAGLE 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Doug:

> Another nice little video from Me Eagle & team. So what's next ?

Hey Doug muchly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to post. As for what's next? Well I have 3 climbing videos in pre-production, complete with some pretty cool drone footage so watch this space. And a big list of "exciting" routes + adventures to film which will last me at least a year or 3...
Cheers
Dave
 deepstar 29 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Dave another great video!
 ChrisBrooke 29 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Dave. You're working through the classics! You'll have to set up a 'Bald Eagle' ticklist on the UKC logbooks
I climbed that route a few years ago and it was nice to try and recognise any of it......didn't remember much, but a few spots here and there, like the crux wall and the last couple of pitches. I remember feeling exhausted and a bit 'altitudy' by then.
 Dave 29 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Very nice but is the route completely bolted ? It looks to have lots of bolts next to lots of cracks for the most part. I dunno, what IS alpine climbing coming to?
 9fingerjon 29 Sep 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks Dave, enjoyed that - I did the route a few years back, so the film bought back some nice memories.
 BALD EAGLE 30 Sep 2015
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Nice one Dave. You're working through the classics! You'll have to set up a 'Bald Eagle' ticklist on the UKC logbooks

> I climbed that route a few years ago and it was nice to try and recognise any of it......didn't remember much, but a few spots here and there, like the crux wall and the last couple of pitches. I remember feeling exhausted and a bit 'altitudy' by then.

Hey Chris and thanks a bunch for your kind feedback! Yeah the South ridge at about 16 pitches + 550 Metres is a fair old length so no surprise you only remembered the odd pitch and were a bit knackered by the end! The boys and I were very happy to get back to the lovely Salbithutte at around 7.30pm for a superb meal and beer from the wonderful Rebecca and Marlene...
Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave:

> Very nice but is the route completely bolted ? It looks to have lots of bolts next to lots of cracks for the most part. I dunno, what IS alpine climbing coming to?

Hi Dave thanks for taking the time to post!
The route is partially bolted and the belays are equipped though most parties take some slings, nuts and friends to supplement the bolts. The rationale is explained in the front of the Salbit guidebook but to the best of my memory, the Salbit was in danger of becoming out of favour compared to some more accessible areas, so after a lot of consultation with locals the decision was made to retro-bolt the route.
The South Ridge is still an amazing route so I would not let the bolts put you off making a visit as it is one of the best climbs I have ever done....
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Gustav:

> Thanks Dave, enjoyed that - I did the route a few years back, so the film bought back some nice memories.

Hey Gustav many thanks for the feedback and I'm glad my wee video evoked some nice memories for you! The Sudgrat is truly one of the greatest climbs of it's type and grade in the Alps....
Cheers
Dave
 goatee 30 Sep 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great video Dave. Always worth a watch. I look forward to following your adventures into the future.
 BALD EAGLE 30 Sep 2015
In reply to goatee:

> Another great video Dave. Always worth a watch. I look forward to following your adventures into the future.

Heya goatee and thanks for taking the time to post some positive feedback as it is muchly appreciated!
Cheers Dave
 jshields 30 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for this Dave, they really do keep getting better, inspirational stuff.
Well done.
Jon
 BALD EAGLE 01 Oct 2015
In reply to jshields:

> Thanks for this Dave, they really do keep getting better, inspirational stuff.

> Well done.

> Jon

Hey Jon a maa-hoosive thanks for posting some kind feedback and I appreciate your appreciation!
Cheers
Dave
 pneame 01 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

The best yet - as it has been on my wish-list since I was about 15, I particularly appreciated it. As you appear to have the same rock shoes as me, I could armchair along very happily!

Really nice pacing in the intro - just the right amount of "special effects".
 Gav Parker 01 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks David fantastic...
 BALD EAGLE 02 Oct 2015
In reply to pneame:

> The best yet - as it has been on my wish-list since I was about 15, I particularly appreciated it. As you appear to have the same rock shoes as me, I could armchair along very happily!

> Really nice pacing in the intro - just the right amount of "special effects".

Hi pneame a big fat thanks for posting some kind feedback and glad you enjoyed my wee vid. Just because we have the same pink rock shoes and you vicariously "armchaired" along the ridge with me, I'm afraid that does not count as ticking it off! Get yourself booked into that lovely Salbithutte next summer and get it done mate... Cheers Dave
 climbwhenready 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing. Another place I want to go to one day, now that I've watched that!

I'd be really interested to know what the logistics of filming an Eagle production are. I've noticed you often have a fixed camera with people walking by, or timelapses - is there a lot of hanging back, doing the filming, then catching up with the rest of the group? Whenever I do my (rubbish) videos they almost always end up being point-of-view, which isn't so good.
 d_b 02 Oct 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:
The church rock one involved a couple of gopros, a tripod mounted camcorder that went out with us in the boats and another camcorder with tripod on the shore.

There was a certain amount of following stage directions, but it was mostly a case of going climbing.

Time lapse is easy enough provided that you either don't mind sitting around for a few hours or are reasonably confident your camera won't get nicked.
Post edited at 12:02
 BALD EAGLE 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Gav Parker:

> Thanks David fantastic...

Cheers Gav I appreciate your appreciation! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 02 Oct 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Amazing. Another place I want to go to one day, now that I've watched that!

Cheers cwr I hope you pay the lovely Salbithutte a visit one day as there are loads of amazing climbs easily accessible from the hut!

> I'd be really interested to know what the logistics of filming an Eagle production are. I've noticed you often have a fixed camera with people walking by, or timelapses - is there a lot of hanging back, doing the filming, then catching up with the rest of the group? Whenever I do my (rubbish) videos they almost always end up being point-of-view, which isn't so good.

Ok the other David who featured in the Church Rock sea stack video summed it up pretty well and I like to keep things moving so it does not impact on the climbing and the day too much. However there is often a lot of running around (largely by me!) back and forth around the group to quickly set up a tripod + camcorder. Also as long as a venue is easily accessible, I can often bribe my long suffering better half (Emma Cava on Camera 2) with the promise of a free meal, chocolate and a bottle Cava to sit for hours on end (she often takes a book + blanket!) to film some long shots. So with 2 camcorders, a head cam and now a drone I have up to 4 cameras in total and usually end up with hours worth of footage which I like to edit down to a few minutes.
Obviously for the Salbit video there was just me with 2 camera + 1 tripod. Anyway I have 3 more climbing vids in pre-production so watch this space...
Cheers Dave

pneame 02 Oct 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Just because we have the same pink rock shoes and you vicariously "armchaired" along the ridge with me, I'm afraid that does not count as ticking it off!

Rats.
I was even beginning to feel somewhat tired and anxious by the crux, knowing that it was biting off (a lot) more than I could chew in my present state of fitness....
 Bobling 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Went down very well with a glass of vino! Excellent stuff Dave, keeping hope alive for us armchair climbers that one day maybe we'll emerge from under the nappies and placcy toys and get strong again. You've a gem of a leading man with El Davide rocking it on the sharp end with arms of steel and those pithy one liners.
 BusyLizzie 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! Amazing. Your videos get better and better, Dave - a real pleasure to watch.
 BALD EAGLE 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Bobling:

> Went down very well with a glass of vino! Excellent stuff Dave, keeping hope alive for us armchair climbers that one day maybe we'll emerge from under the nappies and placcy toys and get strong again. You've a gem of a leading man with El Davide rocking it on the sharp end with arms of steel and those pithy one liners.

Hey Bobling muchos gracias and most things in life are improved with a glass of vino! Yeah El David is excellent value, company and a beast of climber! Just a shame for filming purposes that he has a face like a bag of chisels...
Anyways after David topped out, after leading most of the 16 pitches, he looked so relaxed as if he had just gone for a stroll to his nearest tapas bar... Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 04 Oct 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Wow! Amazing. Your videos get better and better, Dave - a real pleasure to watch.

Hey Lizzie glad you enjoyed my video and I really appreciate your appreciation! Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...