UKC

Darkness falls across the land....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 30 Sep 2015
Aside from being a great line from Thriller, it is getting to that time of year when a lot of us start using our headlights on the way home from work.

Please take a few moments to check your front and rear lights are working.
 johncook 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Pesda potato: Please also check that they are correctly aligned, and please remember to dip them when approaching or following another vehicle/cyclist.

abseil 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

> Please take a few moments to check your front and rear lights are working.

What and blind other road users and poor rabbits and things?

Edit, just kidding, one of my pet peeves is seeing other drivers in poor/ very poor lighting conditions without any lights on.
Post edited at 21:46
 Bob 30 Sep 2015

Sunday morning I was heading up Wharfedale in fairly thick fog, perhaps 1 in 10 vehicles were correctly lit: some were on parking lights; some on daylight running lights; between a quarter and a third had no lights on at all. Really worrying. Not that much better on the commute yesterday morning, again in thick fog, about a third with no lights.
 gethin_allen 30 Sep 2015
In reply to abseil:
"one of my pet peeves is seeing other drivers in poor/ very poor lighting conditions without any lights on."
And a significant percentage of the unlit people will be driving silvery grey cars that blend into the gloom few easily.

Part of this problem could be that people are becoming reliant on automatic lights in their cars and in my experience these do not switch on in foggy conditions that are otherwise bright.
 Dan Arkle 30 Sep 2015

And when you want to thank someone on the road, remember to unleash all 6000 Lumens of Bi-Xenon goodness directly into their retinas. Then they will truly know that you appreciate their kindness.
 Tony the Blade 01 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

> All road users, including cyclists, also check that they are correctly aligned, and please remember to dip them when approaching or following another vehicle/cyclist.

FTFY

I'm not trying to be a bellend here, but it amazes me how many cyclists think it's ok to have the equivalent of a 747 landing light strapped to either their helmet or handlebars. Ladies and gents, please make them turndownable. thanks

(I'm a sometimes car/minibus/van driver and also a cyclo-commuter and roadie user - but never at the same time)
 johncook 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade: The number of cyclists who have no lights is even more of a concern. Yesterday morning in thick fog there were a lot of riders (do they not have jobs?) on the Ringinglow road out towards Stanage. Not a light between them and very few hi-vis jackets or even reflectors on the bike. What with them and silver cars with no lights, it made for an interesting drive, at 10mph, for a few miles!

Tony the Blade 01 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

Yes John, I agree with you. No lights is worse than bright lights.
 Ridge 01 Oct 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Part of this problem could be that people are becoming reliant on automatic lights in their cars and in my experience these do not switch on in foggy conditions that are otherwise bright.

I'm seeing a lot of cars with no rear lights, front lights only. Must be some useful automatic lighting thing.

On the plus side, putting the rear foglights on and leaving them on permanently will slowly die out, as pressing a switch once becomes as incredibly difficult and complex to drivers as pressing a switch twice used to be.
 balmybaldwin 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I believe these are Morons who have not understood their car enough to realise that the lights coming out of the front are running lights/fog lights and therefore have no rear lights on.

After flashing and tooting and pointing at the back of the car to warn them, someone yesterday with no lights at the rear, swore at me and drove off, so I've now reported them to the police for driving without lights (I doubt they'll do much but they might just send a letter) (We have quite a good system for reporting "antisocial driving" here)
 Trangia 01 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

> Please also check that they are correctly aligned, and please remember to dip them when approaching or following another vehicle/cyclist.

Why would you dip them for cyclists? They don't pay any road tax.
 Jimbo C 01 Oct 2015

And on long straight roads, please remember to dip your lights when you see another vehicle, not just when you think you're close enough to dazzle them.
 Ridge 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> And on long straight roads, please remember to dip your lights when you see another vehicle, not just when you think you're close enough to dazzle them.

However, for drivers with those high intensity Billion lumen front lights, don't bother. The f***ing things can effectively blind oncoming traffic on dip anyway. I'm contemplating just driving everwhere at night in a pair of sunglasses and main beam permanently on.
If you can't beat em, join em..
 nathan79 01 Oct 2015

I can't stand all those fancy million lumen new headlights. They drive me insane.
As do the fools who insist on having their rear fog lights on in a traffic queue.

Another one who'll never understand cycling ninjas and their apparent lack of desire to be visible.

One of my biggest gripes is at twilight when you only need your sidelights on to be seen rather than see yet the retina burners are at full intensity.
wme1 01 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

One scary trend I've noticed is when a cyclist has a rear light but no front light, presumably coz it's not dark enough and it saves weight etc. What they seem to fail to recognize is that if there's a car/lorry/bus coming in the opposite direction waiting to turn right across their path and there's a vehicle with lights on behind the cyclist (be it 10m/20m/50m/100m), the cyclist is virtually invisible. People rushing to and from work will see a gap between them and the vehicle with lights on and go for the gap - another squashed cyclist.
 gethin_allen 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> However, for drivers with those high intensity Billion lumen front lights, don't bother. The f***ing things can effectively blind oncoming traffic on dip anyway.

Totally, How can blinding all oncoming traffic ever be considered a safety upgrade? I do wonder if the maximum power output of headlights is regulated.

nathan79 01 Oct 2015

If it isn't regulated then it should be. Really p's me off. Some seem just as bright as having high beams on.
 radddogg 01 Oct 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> If it isn't regulated then it should be. Really p's me off. Some seem just as bright as having high beams on.

It is
 gethin_allen 01 Oct 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> If it isn't regulated then it should be. Really p's me off. Some seem just as bright as having high beams on.

Driving up to North Wales a while back I flashed an oncoming car because I thought they hadn't dipped their lights only for them to flash back at me showing that that was their dipped beams. They were so bright they could easily have been their main beams.
 Tom Valentine 01 Oct 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

What time of day was it?
 balmybaldwin 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

About 7.30 it was one of those cars with led "running lights" on the front only
 Ridge 01 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> It is

The regs certainly need revising. There's a very disturbing trend to ever more powerful headlights, ( and even tail lights that are as bright as foglights with really distracting patterns), in the motor industry. Must be some sort of willy waving thing - my headlights are brighter than yours. On unlit country roads that undulate they're an absolute menace. Even if the headlights are correctly adjusted, (which I suspect most aren't), they blind oncoming traffic. Unless the driver is clinically blind or drives round in sunglasses with a tinted windscreen there's absolutely no justification for these being road legal.
 digby 01 Oct 2015

It's easy to set the headlights too high with in car adjustment.
 radddogg 01 Oct 2015
In reply to digby:

No it isn't. The only adjustment is downwards which is to be used when a heavy load is in the boot or when towing
 Ridge 02 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> No it isn't. The only adjustment is downwards which is to be used when a heavy load is in the boot or when towing

Alternatively, put your headlights on the lowest (heavy load in boot) setting, then adjust the headlights under the bonnet until they point at the normal height for dipped headlights. Hey presto, the only adjustment is up. I suspect this is the preferred setting for people who 'need' maximum illumination for driving at night.

Whatever the setting, the current generation of headlights are excessively bright and blind other road users.
 Trevers 02 Oct 2015

> Driving up to North Wales a while back I flashed an oncoming car because I thought they hadn't dipped their lights only for them to flash back at me showing that that was their dipped beams. They were so bright they could easily have been their main beams.

This seems to be a common thing these days. It's horrible when you're effectively blind because of a car behind you in all three mirrors. It often tends to be big "offroad" BMW/Audi cars I've noticed.
 Tom Valentine 02 Oct 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Which, to be fair to the "morons", are bright enough to illuminate an average driveway and mislead people who don't go through a mental checklist every time they turn the ignition on.
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm seeing a lot of cars with no rear lights, front lights only. Must be some useful automatic lighting thing.

I gather this is a result of legislation requiring 'day-lights' for new cars. When they drive at night they see the light on the road and assume there lights are on or at least they don't remember because it appears their lights are on.

In reply to Ridge:

> The regs certainly need revising. There's a very disturbing trend to ever more powerful headlights, ( and even tail lights that are as bright as foglights with really distracting patterns), in the motor industry. Must be some sort of willy waving thing - my headlights are brighter than yours. On unlit country roads that undulate they're an absolute menace. Even if the headlights are correctly adjusted, (which I suspect most aren't), they blind oncoming traffic. Unless the driver is clinically blind or drives round in sunglasses with a tinted windscreen there's absolutely no justification for these being road legal.

I totally agree there are many 'innovative designs' of head light which comply with the regs as they stand but are horrible for other road users. This wasn't such a problem when it was a few high end models but as these were allowed to pass the rest of the industry is now following.
OP The Potato 02 Oct 2015

anyway back to my original point - no matter how bright, or which way the lights are pointing, they are no good if the bulb has blown. Every day I pass cars with only one headlight / tail / brake light.
 digby 02 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> No it isn't. The only adjustment is downwards which is to be used when a heavy load is in the boot or when towing

Yes it is. In my Hyundai I10 you can adjust them almost as high as full beam or alternatively very low.
 gethin_allen 02 Oct 2015
In reply to digby:
> Yes it is. In my Hyundai I10 you can adjust them almost as high as full beam or alternatively very low.

I'm quite sure that maximum headlight angle is one of the things that is regulated and tested at your MOT. So the highest setting you have on the adjustment will be the legal limit and they trust the driver to adjust them down to compensate for heavy loads in the back.

And the main angle change of the dipped beams is to angle the beams to the kerb side rather than straight down the middle.
Post edited at 22:43
 winhill 02 Oct 2015

Bring back Tufty!

youtube.com/watch?v=jpqSvpF6Gk8&
 Brass Nipples 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Why would you dip them for cyclists? They don't pay any road tax.

How do you know they don't pay tax?
 radddogg 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Because they can't physically. You pay road fund licence per vehicle or are you saying I only need to buy tax for one of my cars?
OP The Potato 03 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Off topic but to clarify, its not even road fund license, it's vehicle excise duty VED which is a tax on using a vehicle on public roads. The tax doesn't go to the roads directly but to a general pot of all taxes.
This is info from the dept of trasport
 FactorXXX 03 Oct 2015
Off topic but to clarify, its not even road fund license, it's vehicle excise duty VED which is a tax on using a vehicle on public roads. The tax doesn't go to the roads directly but to a general pot of all taxes.

Not for much longer...
Post edited at 13:40
In reply to FactorXXX:

Why?
 FactorXXX 03 Oct 2015

Why?

In a few years time, all the money collected will be directly used on roads and nothing else.
Apparently, it's been done for efficiency reasons, etc. However, I think it's been done so that motorists can wind up cyclists legitimately...
There are plenty of tax free cars, what about them?

I'm intrigued as to why my original post has 4 dislikes, I can only imagine they are not fans of Michael Jackson
 Andy Morley 03 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> Because they can't physically. You pay road fund licence per vehicle or are you saying I only need to buy tax for one of my cars?

They might make an anonymous donation to HM Customs and Revenue, to cover their road usage...
 mullermn 03 Oct 2015
In reply to :

Modern bixenons should only really be a problem if they're after market fitted units. Factory fitted lights should be auto levelling - if you've seen cars where the headlights do a 'dance' when the ignition comes on, that's what is happening.

Ofcourse it helps if you're also driving a car with modern lights.. If your eyes have been adapted to the 2 or 3 lonely lumens that manage to escape from old style headlights then anyone else on the road with modern lights is going to seem dazzling.

Ridge 04 Oct 2015
In reply to mullermn:

> Modern bixenons should only really be a problem if they're after market fitted units. Factory fitted lights should be auto levelling - if you've seen cars where the headlights do a 'dance' when the ignition comes on, that's what is happening.

I do wish people wouldn't ascribe magical properties to auto levelling systems. They do the same thing as the little wheel under the dash board. Fat blokes sit in the back, twiddle the wheel to point the headlights down to the normal setting. They don't work if cresting hills or on undulating roads. It's worse with 4x4s, as the lights are mounted high in relation to other vehicles, so no matter how they're adjusted there's always an element of glare for oncoming traffic.

> Ofcourse it helps if you're also driving a car with modern lights.. If your eyes have been adapted to the 2 or 3 lonely lumens that manage to escape from old style headlights then anyone else on the road with modern lights is going to seem dazzling.

You do realise the back scatter you as a driver see from your headlights is about 1% of the intensity any unfortunate looking directly at the headlight receives? If we both put on 200 lumen headtorches and point them in each other's faces we'll still be dazzled, the opposing beams of light don't cancel each other out.

Drivers who really feel a need for more than the terribly old fashioned headlights at night might be better off visiting a good optician than a car dealership or Halfords.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...