UKC

El Capitan (for Mac)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 01 Oct 2015
any Mac users taken the plunge yet? Opinions?
 Mike-W-99 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Yes, seems mostly fine.
One Windows app I run under wine doesn't work and rather annoyingly the developer of the wine packages was made aware of various el cap issues several months ago.
 snoop6060 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Me, and it considerably faster on my late 2008 macbook (4G Ram, core duo 2.1G) . I jumped through 3 upgrades today to get to the newest one and I am made up as my mac now feels zippy (ish) like when I first got it.
 Only a hill 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Been running the beta on my MacBook Air for weeks. It's faster and more stable than Yosemite.
Removed User 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Been fine, I didn't on this occasion do the Beta as Capture One wasn't working well with it and I needed it for work but uploaded it last night and it is going well. All seems a bit quicker and theres less lag than before.
 Postmanpat 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Is downloading yosemite a few weeks ago the reason why my Macair keeps losing my home internet connection and my safari keeps freeing. The timing seems like a strange coincidence.
Removed User 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

There was a longstanding wifi disconnect issue with Yosemite throughout its tenure. There were various work arounds but it does seem the later Yosemite builds and El Capitan are more stable in that regard.
 Postmanpat 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> There was a longstanding wifi disconnect issue with Yosemite throughout its tenure. There were various work arounds but it does seem the later Yosemite builds and El Capitan are more stable in that regard.

So, as I suspected, I should have ignored the annoying pop up repeatedly telling me to download Yosemite. (when they clearly new it would screw up my computer) What do I do now?
Removed User 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

It was variable as an issue, friends of mine didn't have any problems whereas I was plagued by it (wifi disconnect). The later Yosemite updates did seem to resolve it and the latest Safari update has made Safari more what it was in Mavericks. ie quick I would just download the El Capitan Build in the app store update and enjoy what Yosemite probably should have been. The beta feedback on El Capitan has been overall pretty positive whereas when I undertook the Beta for Yosemite the wifi issue was widely discussed amongst many other issues.
 Postmanpat 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> It was variable as an issue, friends of mine didn't have any problems whereas I was plagued by it (wifi disconnect). The later Yosemite updates did seem to resolve it and the latest Safari update has made Safari more what it was in Mavericks. ie quick I would just download the El Capitan Build in the app store update and enjoy what Yosemite probably should have been. The beta feedback on El Capitan has been overall pretty positive whereas when I undertook the Beta for Yosemite the wifi issue was widely discussed amongst many other issues.

Thx, i'll try that.
 Doug 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:
Updated a Macbook air this morning as a test (not much software installed & all the documents, photos etc are copies). Went very smoothly so updated my iMac this afternoon. Took much longer (larger & not ssd disk ?) but so far all seems well

edit to add - the MBA was running Yosemite, the iMac was still on Snow Leopard
Post edited at 14:33
 Nick Alcock 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

A note to any graphic designers/typographers out there.

Don't install yet if you are a QuarkXpress user.
They are still working on the 2015 version to make it compatible with El cap.

Mind you, I'm still using Quark 9.5 on Yosemite which is 'unsupported' It works fine.

Quark 10 is however supported on Yosemite, but not on El cap.

Progress eh?

In reply to Glyno:

I haven't yet upgraded to El Cap (from Yosemite). Sounds good, but one question: can El Capitan still run both Pages 5.5 and the older Pages '09 (i.e Version 4)? I slightly prefer the older version.
 Nick Alcock 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/

Could help you Gordon.
 NathanP 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

Updated my 2014 MacBook Pro on Friday. No problems so far and it seems to run a bit quicker than Yosemite.

I didn't have any of the reported problems with Yosemite on either that machine or my wife's 2012 MacBook Pro.
OP Glyno 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I updated on Friday and haven't really noticed any difference
Mind you, Yosemite was running perfectly well.
Removed User 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I updated my 15" MBr on Friday morning. I didn't realise how long it would take and had to get to work so partially through the install I closed the lid and put it in my bag. Id never usually do this but I thought it might work. Think it overheated, as the installation failed. Managed to finish the el cap install through OS-X recover, but lost all my data. I did have a time machine backup from just before I attempted to install el cap. I recovered my system and then installed el cap no problems. Runs fine - a few updates to software required but everything runs smoothly.
Obvious tip- install new operating system with macbook connected to mains and keep lid open. Make time machine backup just before you upgrade operating system

SouthernSteve 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

There are big problems with Microsoft office.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/05/microsoft-office-2016-el-capitan-bugs/

I would hold off at the moment!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...