UKC

Most Remote Multi Pitch Crag in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Heaton 01 Oct 2015
Anyone have any ideas about what the most remote multi-pitch mountain crag in the UK is? Or if not most remote, biggest walk in?
 JLS 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

St. Kilda swim in? Or do you want to restrict yourself to mainland UK?
craigloon 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Garbh Choire of Beinn A'Bhuird is a fair trek.
 Bob 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

On the mainland it's likely to be Carnmore Crag which is three to four hours walking though in winter Seana Bhraigh might take some beating.
 skog 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

This seems to be quite poorly known, but Seana Bhraigh is only about 10km walk-in, mostly up a good track, if you park in the hillwalkers' car park just before Corriemulzie Lodge.

On the mainland, it probably is one of the Fisherfield crags - though Lurg Mhor has at least one route on it.
 Bob 01 Oct 2015
In reply to skog:

I presume that's summer only parking?

Lurg Mhor, ah yes, didn't the first ascensionists use canoes to get to the crag as it was easier than walking?

The other Fisherfield crag that I think is multi-pitch is Carn an Ban which is on A'Mhaighdean, the Munro reckoned to be furthest from any road.
 skog 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

> I presume that's summer only parking?

Not that I'm aware of, though I've never driven up there in winter, so maybe! If so, it would certainly make it a lot more remote, though cycling would help a lot.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

> I presume that's summer only parking?

Yes, it's closed from about October to mid May.
 Cam Forrest 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob:

Probably Maiden Buttress on Carnan Ban, or, even more probably, Pillar Buttress on A'Mhaighdean.
 d_b 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Cam Forrest:

Pillar Buttress on A'Mhaighdean is the most remote I have climbed on, and well worth a visit. I have had my eye on Ricepaper on Stac A' Chaorruinn, which I think just about beats it.
OP Dave Heaton 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Heaton:

Thanks guys, this gives me loads to look into. I'm keen to get off the beaten track and find some proper UK wilderness to climb in.
In reply to Cam Forrest:

I've carried a full rack all the way to the bottom of Maiden Buttress. As we started gearing up, the heavens opened. Extremely sad times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...