UKC

Amphetamines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 01 Oct 2015
We all know chalk is only useful for E4 and above (or 6b+ if you're climbing sport). Some classic mountaineering routes were done on amphetamines, and reading the news today it seems like even non climbers can benefit from a bit of speed. Hoping to push into les Difficiles soon, so I'm wondering at what grade amphetamines will start to help my alpine climbing. Anyone got any data?
In reply to humptydumpty:

Hallucinating and believing you're Chris Sharma would be useful at any grade surely?
 Hawky 01 Oct 2015
you will be up there forever, cleaning up and chatting the back legs off a donkey.
Post edited at 21:45
 marsbar 02 Oct 2015

I take something similar on prescription and I'm rubbish and a total punter. Hope this helps.

On a serious note, be aware of the risks from increased blood pressure, its not the best idea to be taking speed and then working your heart to excess. It can also lead to uncontrolled emotional state on withdrawal which may not be too handy in an alpine environment. It can lead to over confidence and bad decisions. It will mess up your appetite and sleep pattern, you may find you need to force yourself to eat, especially as you plan on being active.

Here is the official advice;
Amphetamines are stimulants.
They will keep you awake for long periods of time before the comedown.
Using more than one stimulant drug at a time drug can put your heart under significant stress.
Don't inject - injecting amphetamine can become compulsive and is very risky.
If you do inject, always use clean needles and never share any equipment.
Safer ways of using are smoking, snorting, swallowing as there is lower risk of overdose, infection and contraction of blood borne viruses.
Swallowing it is by far the safest way to use it. Snorting it is more risky and injecting is the riskiest way to use.
Stimulant drugs are caustic so if swallowed they can damage the lining of the throat, oesophagus and stomach; if you are going to take them this way then use a capsule or cigarette paper.
Amphetamines can cause the body to dehydrate and over heat; if you choose to use make sure you drink water or soft drinks regularly.
Don't forget to eat - amphetamines suppress the appetite so eat before and after using.
Amphetamines disrupt sleep patterns so sleep is essential to help your body recover.
Try not to use other drugs, such as benzos, to come down; food and sleep are the best way.
Make sure you have more days where you don't use, than days that you do.
Use in a safe environment with trusted company and tell someone you are with what you are taking.
Amphetamines may interact badly with so
- See more at: http://dan247.org.uk/Drugs_ReducingHarm.asp#DAmphetamines
 Timmd 02 Oct 2015
If you're even vaguely serious, since you'll feel spent after taking it, I'd only take some to use to get you out of the kind of situation where you've run out of food and energy, and simply have to keep going to avoid being outside/up high in the kind of situation where you could lose your hands due to frostbite, and if you find yourself moving like a snail/sitting down and feeling like giving up.

Post edited at 10:47
Lusk 02 Oct 2015

I reckon you've fallen off a wall somewhere and cracked your shell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...