UKC

Portland Weston car park (Grangemouth, 'walkers and climbers')

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewmc 02 Oct 2015
According to this website:

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/travel-dorset/roads-and-driving/parking/car-pa...

the car park on Portland in Weston (for Blacknor South etc) is now £6.50 / day, while presumably still being 10m from free on-street parking. I like to think I try quite hard to follow the guidelines and access notes for crags, but the BMC RAD page which tells you to park here also says the charge is 50p! What do people actually do/what are the informal guidelines from the local activists etc? If parking on the estate is still a no-no I guess I will just make the trek from the main road?
 johnl 02 Oct 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Park in the estate and annoy the hell out of the locals (I am one), then they might complain enough to the council to get something done about it. The £6.50 parking charge is ridiculous , the idea of the 50p charge was to allow them to tow cars away if they were dumped there, otherwise it was meant to be free.
PS. Ignore the above advice if you have a nice new shiny car.
 KDhruev 02 Oct 2015

My pessimistic thought on this, which I should say is based on no evidence what so ever, is as follows:
Council put up price to stupid level --> Climbers (and others) stop using the car park --> council can claim car park is under used and so can sell of the land to build more houses on.

Im not saying building more homes is bad (or good) just that I think this is all a crafty plan from someone who doesn't appreciate a short walk in.
 Gaijin 02 Oct 2015

I grew up on the estate (Woolcombe Road represent!) and was never aware of issues with climbing access. I have had conversation with my mother other the years and she too was oblivious to said situation.
To this day I still park right by my old crib and walk in to Blacknor.
 aln 02 Oct 2015

I was confused by this topic heading. I live a few miles from Grangemouth and I've never heard of Portland Weston car park.
OP andrewmc 03 Oct 2015
In reply to aln:

Oops, I accidentally replaced Grangecroft with Grangemouth.
 Dandan 03 Oct 2015

Since the northern battleship walk-in disappeared and the parking charge went sky high, I've either parked on Reap Lane for battleship, or parked in the North West corner of that (grangecroft?) Estate for blacknor. Up in that corner of the estate is a big line of parking spaces that are always half empty, I've greeted locals while unloading the car with no issues.

That price increase is crazy, but the suggestion that the council want to turn it into flats now makes a lot of sense...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...