UKC

Paramo - Layering for Scottish Winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanic 03 Oct 2015

I'm interested in some advice from anyone who uses a Paramo jacket for Scottish winter.

Do you use one of the lighter jackets (eq Velez Adventure Light) or one of the heavier Jackets (eg Velez Adventure).

What do you wear under the jacket?

What do you wear over the jacket?

Ta.

Edit:Grammar.
Post edited at 13:20
 Jack B 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I use a Paramo Aspira jacket, for winter hillwalking and occasional grade I & II gulleys.

At moderate temperatures, I wear a merino baselayer underneath. As it gets colder, I add a thin midlayer fleece in between the baselayer and jacket, that's usually enough even in bitterly cold spindrift. If I'm going to be inactive for an extended period, e.g. after pitching my tent, I add a thick fleece under the jacket. I never wear anything over it other than a rucksack.

For winter climbing, you might want something extra for belays, I never really did enough to get a good system worked out though.
 angry pirate 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I use a Furtech Claw jacket for winter as its a better cut for me than paramo, but is essentially the same thing. I do have a Quito jacket for summer but I don't think it'd survive winter bashing.
I use a synthetic base layer (either an old north cape one or a helly) and a 100 weight fleece (ME shroud) under mine and that keeps me warm enough all day. I do keep a belay jacket (Rab alpine generator) in my bag to chuck on over the top. I use paramo salopettes too.
It is a decent system for winter.
 rif 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I have a Velez smock which I use in winter for hillwalking, ski touring, and solo or roped climbing. Under it: a merino base layer, and no fleece/thin fleece/warmer fleece depending on the weather and what I'm doing. Only been chilly once, while stuck on a small belay in a traffic jam. Nothing over it, though occasionally when doing remote solo skiing (Braeriach etc) I'll carry either a loose-fitting belay jacket or a bothy bag as just-in-case. I wouldn't have thought the Velez Light is warm enough for winter climbing.
In reply to Oceanic:
Aspira smock with a synthetic base layer for ins/outs and fast moving activities (I run hot when active), with a mid weight fleece under smock for stops. As a back up for the unexpected, an oversized Marmot Stride or Rab Alpine Generator to go on top depending on circumstances.
 alasdair19 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I have the new heavy one and have worn out just about an aspira smock. thermal, polatec 100 fleece, paramo. bivvy jacket in bag (decathalon bright orange) the fleece goes on while gearing up.

I run hot and sweaty hence the paramo in the 1st place!
 doz 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

Aspira smock and salopettes...merino t shirt under is all I ever need if moving fast(walking/ski-touring)
I get seriously cold when still so climbing will wear Buffalo shirt under and Torres belay smock over...
Paramo stuff is bombproof...I love it - transformed my enjoyment of winter when I ditched goretex fifteen years ago!
I think folk who don't get on with it tend to run at more constant temperature or are confused about the need to make a fashion statement out in the wilds!
 SimonCRMC 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I've used an Aspira smock for ages - doesn't need anything over it as it's withstood sustained snow, wind and rain on many occasions. I use an Explorer pull-on as a baselayer - it has the advantage of twin vertical front zips which line up with the smock and allow you to vent through to the skin if you run hot. I've rarely needed any other layers in any conditions although I normally put a fleece on as a mid layer when climbing.
HTH
Simon
 PN82 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

Paramo aspira salopettes, baselayer and aspira smock. I have used the velez adventure light which was warm enough just lacks enough pockets for me for winter hence the switch to the aspira.

Over the top I have used simond belay jacket or mountain equipment citadel at rest stops.

I bought the aspira smock and salopettes and ME citadel from eBay for a total combined price of £330. Less than a top spec Goretex pro shell and I will probably be a lot warmer and less sweaty!

Agree with chap above that it transformed my comfort/enjoyment in winter.

I used to be one of these people that ran hot but just slowed my pace down slightly and now I'm absolutely fine!

Enjoy getting out on the hills
 DaveHK 08 Oct 2015
In reply to angry pirate:

> I use a Furtech Claw jacket for winter

Never heard of these but just looked at their website and they look like good value. Does it work well?
 MB42 08 Oct 2015
In reply to rif:

I used the velez light climbing last winter with two merino base layers, a warm fleece and a thin belay jacket to stick on when stopped and found it warm enough.

Having said which if I had the spare cash I would get something heavier for winter, probably the Aspira
 jonnie3430 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

I have a Quito and an Aspira smock. The Aspira was heavy, so I bought the Quito for lighter Alpine stuff where weather protection wasn't so important, but I've since used it a lot in Scotland (it's orange, so brought me up to grade VI.) I use a wicking tshirt and Patagonia R1 hoody with the Aspira and a heavy merino long sleeve base layer and Patagonia R1 with the Quito. Th e Quito suffers more from Scottish winter as the materials are lighter, the hood doesn't fit so well and it is nearly too short to tuck well into a harness. The Aspira is the opposite, the hood fits better, the hem is long and it is tough. A compromise between the two would be interesting, but I'd have to wear these two out first, which should take a while. Back to the Aspira for me, unless easy days when the Quito will come out
 Root1 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

Buffalo salopettees and top with hood ,with an Paramo Aspira over the top when it gets gnarly. Bombproof..
 angry pirate 08 Oct 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> Never heard of these but just looked at their website and they look like good value. Does it work well?

I really like mine. I had a paramo Nevada smock which was great but a paramo fit, I.e. not really.
The furtech is like old school paramo which means the liner is a wee bit heavier than the new paramo stuff. The fit on my Claw 2 is much closer: the sleeves are much less flappy and there is much less spare fabric. That said, the large is a good fit which allows for good reach and the hood is awesome! The transparent peak is a neat idea and really works. Pockets are decent too.
I'd prefer the sleeves an inch longer but they're ok.
The fabric is as waterproof as paramo, so not entirely but the trade off is far superior breathabilty.
The only thing is that the website has very limited stock so I'm not sure he still makes them. Worth firing off an email as he found stock that wasn't listed when I bought mine.
 angry pirate 08 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Good to know that the Quito is ok for winter. I've always been put off as mine is a bit of a battle to do the hood up over a helmet. Mine's orange too (well, butternut squash) so I should wear it to bump up the grades a bit
 Dave 88 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanic:

They used to do a Summit Hoodie (softshell kinda thing) + Fuera jacket (wind proof) combo. Individually they were showerproof and windproof, but worn together they formed a full weight paramo waterproof.

This gave great layering options and ended up being incredibly warm because you had the extra air trapped between the two jackets. Huge pit zips mean you can vent and cool down if you get hot.

For everyone moaning about Paramo's baggy fit (myself included), they tailor items for a very reasonable price. I think they quoted me £35 for extensive work to be done to each garment with about a 6 week turnaround time. It would usually be a lot less but I wanted a new zip and some other expensive bits. Not bad for a tailored jacket that really will last a lifetime.
 Dave the Rave 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave 88:

I'm not doubting you, but I have a fuera wind proof and it has no pit zips nor is waterproof? Does the wash in make it useable as a waterproof?
 Dave 88 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Maybe it's the Fuera Ascent. I don't have it to hand to check unfortunately.

No, sorry it wasn't very clear. The summit hoodie and the Fuera jacket are both windproof when worn individually, but when worn together, add up to a full weight paramo waterproof (and I use the wash-in too). This is not just my opinion, it's how this pairing was advertised by paramo. I actually got a discount by buying them as a pair because they were made to work in tandem, or individually as windproofs.

A quick look at the website and I don't think they still make this combo. By the looks of things the Bentu fleece+windproof or the Enduro pair are their new equivalent.
In reply to Dave 88:
Thanks.
So if I proof my fuera wind proof smock and use it over a bentu, then I have a waterproof combination? The smock is good.
 Dave 88 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I haven't got any experience of the Bentu range, but it seems to be the case. I personally prefer the look of the Enduro smock fleece though, has a hood for starters!

Might be worth dropping Paramo an email to check, they've always seemed very helpful when I've got in touch.

Bentu- http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=B3CC4853-020...

Enduro- http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=347C5232-F6C...

In reply to Dave 88:

Thanks. I've wondered whether the fuera was able to be made waterproof in the past. I thought their full waterproof jackets had some special quality and were different from the fuera wind proof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...