UKC

New hydrophobic down as belay jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 03 Oct 2015
In the market for a new belay/emergency benightment jacket, mainly for Scotland winter, but will also use in drier and colder conditions sometimes as well.

Was assuming I'd get a synthetic, but with this new generation of hydrophobic down has anyone started using one of them instead? Especially if you get a model with a good water resistant shell.

Thoughts or experiences?
 Timmd 03 Oct 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I gather that the down loses it's heat until it dries out again, after which it fluffs back as good as before, it might not be the best thing for stopping you from becoming miserably/dangerously cold.
In reply to JayPee630:

Blimey, just logged on to post much the same question.

Bump
In reply to Timmd:

And anything with a good Water resistant shell is going to
Be rather Heavy & Expensive , Synthetic probably a better bet
OP JayPee630 03 Oct 2015
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
Really, looking about a down jacket with a WR shell is usually lighter or about the same as comparable synthetic (and probably warmer)?

The ME Fitzroy (synthetic) is 645g, and the Jottnar Fjorm (down) is 648g.
The Rab Photon X jacket (synthetic) is 670g, and the Rab Neutrino Endurance jacket (down) is 635g.
Post edited at 17:10
In reply to JayPee630:
That's not what I'd call a WR Shell just a dwr treatment that wears off
Very quickly, my understanding of a proper down Jkt with WR Shell was goretex or event job like the Rab Batura ,Arcteryx fission sv or the cracking Crux Magma & Plasma light but Expensive

I've used a Neutrino winter climbing didn't last long (Pre Hydrophobic)
Was nice and warm first few outings then a soggy pile of feathers
In any kind of damp weather.
Post edited at 19:18
OP JayPee630 03 Oct 2015
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
Cheers for the reply. Yeah, not sure about the difference/categorization of water resistance versus DWR, but yeah I guess most of the ones I was looking at were the later.
Post edited at 19:23
 angry pirate 03 Oct 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Have you thought about a Rab Alpine Generator? Only 590g so pretty light and I love mine for winter use or in soggy conditions as a camp coat.
Perhaps not as ideal as down as a warm layer for colder climes though but you could always pick up a more suitable down down the line somewhere.
OP JayPee630 03 Oct 2015
In reply to angry pirate:

Yeah, looked at lots of synthetics but was thinking and canvassing opinions about a down instead.
 Dave the Rave 03 Oct 2015
In reply to JayPee630:
Just look to nature. Sea birds prean their feathers to maintain their waterprooficity.
It's a marketing ploy worse than durex.
Unless the jacket has a waterproof outer, I reckon you're saying bye bye to a shed load of cash.
Post edited at 21:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...