UKC

Dennis Healey RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 03 Oct 2015

Died peacefully at the age of 98. A real giant of post war politics and government. How the Labour party needs someone of his quality now.
 Dave the Rave 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Died peacefully at the age of 98. A real giant of post war politics and government. How the Labour party needs someone of his quality now.

Indeed. He was highbrow.
In reply to Postmanpat:

+1

I don't know of its just seeing politicians with the eyes of a world weary adult, but our leaders now seem to be diminished compared to those of previous eras. And Healy was one of the giants
In reply to Postmanpat:

We could maybe try to spell his name(s) right.

Still, RIP. A life well lived. I saw an interview with him somewhere recently where he was asked how he was and said words to the effect of 'well, of course I am missing my wife very much indeed' and then moved straight on to discuss his painting and so on. A very old-fashioned approach, and the better for it.

jcm
 digby 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Indeed. He was highbrow.

Eyebrow, surely?
 Ridge 04 Oct 2015
In reply to digby:

> Eyebrow, surely?

I think that was Dave the Rave's point
 Dave the Rave 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> I think that was Dave the Rave's point

There's no point knocking
 veteye 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

A politician who you could trust in most instances, and who was logical, and straight-forward.
(You can never trust any politician absolutely)
Jim C 05 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

> A politician who you could trust in most instances, and who was logical, and straight-forward.
> (You can never trust any politician absolutely)

Famously , he lied ( and later admitted lying) about Oil reserves( understated) , so true you cannot trust ANY politician.
 sbc23 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Accidental dislike
 DaveHK 05 Oct 2015
In reply to sbc23:

> Accidental dislike

I might use that for the title of my memoirs if you don't mind.
 krikoman 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Died peacefully at the age of 98. A real giant of post war politics and government. How the Labour party needs someone of his quality now.

They have someone of his quality now.
 neilh 05 Oct 2015
In reply to krikoman:

I doubt any current politician of any party matches the lot from the post war generation. You only have to read his obituary and see that he was the beach master at the Anzio landings to understand this.
 digby 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> I think that was Dave the Rave's point

Dohhh!
 Simon4 05 Oct 2015
In reply to krikoman:

> They have someone of his quality now.

Frank Field?

Surely not the third rate polytechnic lecturer and "activist" (or lecturer at a third rate polytechnic, now pretended to be a university) who even then was one of those described by Dennis Healey as "out of his tiny Chinese mind" (later amended to "a very silly billy"), who has learnt nothing in 32 years of well deserved obscurity on the back benches?
 The New NickB 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

I bet he can spell Denis Healey though!
 krikoman 05 Oct 2015
In reply to neilh:

> I doubt any current politician of any party matches the lot from the post war generation. You only have to read his obituary and see that he was the beach master at the Anzio landings to understand this.

Isn't that a little difficult to prove, unless you start another war?

Who can tell what someone will be like under those conditions until you're in them?

Indeed it's often the people who nobody would expect to deal with those situations that can come through it.
 tony 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

This chimes with something that I've been thinking for a while. There are no real politicians, of any shade, in the UK who might be described as real statesmen (or women). There's nobody who really makes you sit up and pay attention, and there's no-one to whom the rest of the world looks to for wise words and sound leadership. There's certainly no-one who's going to be described as a giant of early 21st century politics.
 krikoman 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> Frank Field?

Yes, that's exactly who I was thinking of. FFS!
Jim C 05 Oct 2015
In reply to tony:
There's certainly no-one who's going to be described as a giant of early 21st century politics.

Edit
Yes there is:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4114020.stm
Shrewsbury and Atcham's Daniel Kawczynski stands at six feet eight and a half inches (204.5cm) which he says makes him officially a giant.
Post edited at 12:21
 Timmd 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Jim C:
We've still got ten years to go for early 21st century politics?

Possibly,
Post edited at 12:39
 Chris Harris 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> There's certainly no-one who's going to be described as a giant of early 21st century politics.

> Edit

> Yes there is:-

> Shrewsbury and Atcham's Daniel Kawczynski stands at six feet eight and a half inches (204.5cm) which he says makes him officially a giant.

The MP for Staines is 6 foot 4, earning him the local nickname "The Staines Massive".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...