UKC

Avensis steering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 03 Oct 2015
Two weeks ago I started driving my 3rd work Avensis in 3 years. Great car. The last two were heaps, the last one 9 years old, 277,787 miles when they gave up on it. The new one is 2 years old with 63,000 miles on it. All three cars have pulled to the left, the previous two badly, this one mildly but it's there. All three have also had steering rack problems, on full lock as you're turning there's a kinda dead spot where you have to nudge the steering wheel to carry on. Again, bad in the previous cars, just slightly noticeable in this one.
Is this something these cars are known for or have I just been unlucky?
 Philip 03 Oct 2015
In reply to aln:

We had 2 as pool cars at work years ago. Both were fine, took them over to Germany with no noticeable problems on the long drives. Almost bought one but then got a better deal.

Although ours never did more than 20k before going back at the end of 3 years.
OP aln 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Philip:

>Although ours never did more than 20k before going back at the end of 3 years.

20k? Babies! I do that in a year. Am I just unlucky then? Anyone else?
Rigid Raider 04 Oct 2015
In reply to aln:

Don't cars pull to the left when there's a camber?
OP aln 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Probably. I mean pulling to the left all the time even on the flat.
 ByEek 05 Oct 2015
In reply to aln:

I thought all cars (UK) did that so that when you fall asleep / unconscious, you drift into a tree rather than an unsuspecting motorist on the other side of the road.

Perhaps this is urban myth though.
In reply to aln:

Get the tracking checked and if out it can be adjusted. If it is fine, it's not the cars its you, you must keep pulling to the right.
 jkarran 05 Oct 2015
In reply to aln:

> Probably. I mean pulling to the left all the time even on the flat.

Roads are almost never flat. Pulling to the verge is normal, try driving it on the right. If it still pulls left get the tyres checked and tracking sorted. If it still pulls left get the brakes checked. If it still pulls left get it exorcised

I'm not clear what you mean about a dead spot on the rack but hydraulically assisted power steering often has some idiosyncrasies particularly at full lock.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...