UKC

Harness recommendations for small woman / large child

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My daughter is growing out of her Tomcat harness, so looking for something which will transition her from kid to adult. She takes after my side of the family, so is quite small in the waist, but has to max out the leg loops to get the rise she needs to keep it fitting at the waist.

She's exactly five feet tall but is growing quite quick, so we're going to need something which will take her on a couple-or-three inches in growth. Would really prefer something with adjustable leg loops, or at least with an elasticated cinch.

I throw myself at the UKC massif with absolute confidence - never been let down yet.

(Ps: cannot, under any circumstances, be pink)
 marsbar 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

I found the dmm renegade great for long rise and female shape. Mine is a few years old so I don't know if its still the same. I would have thought that she could get and keep a small adults for quite some time.
 springfall2008 04 Oct 2015

Have you taken her somewhere to try on the standard Small/XS style women's harnesses? You can get quite a range in waist sizes, my daughter started in an XXS Black Diamond one (Momentum I think) when she was 6 and it still fits her now she is 9. Adjustable leg loops is pretty standard.

Go-outdoor is great for trying on harnesses and shoes, you don't even have to buy there if the price isn't good, just order online
 marsbar 04 Oct 2015

Apparently there is now a female version
http://dmmclimbing.com/products/new-puma-harness

Sealwife 04 Oct 2015

My daughter wears a Black Diamond, woman's harness, size XS. Can't recall which model, but it has a fair bit of adjustment at the waist and leg loops. This was her first adult harness. She got it when she was about 5ft tall and has stretched about another 3 inches in height in the past 6 months. It still fits her well.
In reply to all:

Already top suggestions, thanks very much. Should have said also that here in Cornwall, access to decent outdoor retailers is a bit limited. But we'll try the local places first, with some good advice from here.
 Sealwife 04 Oct 2015

Daughters harness is Black Diamond Primrose and is grey and turquoise.
 BAdhoc 05 Oct 2015

As stated above the black diamond primrose I use myself but have safely had the harness on teens/younger children.
 henwardian 05 Oct 2015

Recommendation depends a bit on what you want it for. If your daughter mainly (or always) climbs indoors, lightness and ease of movement are probably your priority, if she is climbing a lot of trad routes outdoors then the number of gear loops is going to be important and she will want something with a bit more padding because she might be hanging in the harness for a bit longer and being comfortable becomes an issue.

I wouldn't worry so much about height. I have yet to see a harness that didn't fit because of height, the issue in my experience is always either leg-loops or waist-loop or both.

Bottom line is: Go in to a shop and try a few harnesses on. The leading manufacturers of harnesses all create such high quality products these days that a lot of the decision comes down to personal preference.
In reply to all:

Right, the smart money seems to favour the BD Primrose; now all I have to do is find somewhere in Cornwall that sells it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...