UKC

Can I leave my car without a battery in it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 04 Oct 2015
Got a dead battery on my car and have had t buy a replacement for £150 from halfrauds. Obviously I'd ideally want to get one cheaper, so for the moment I'm limping from jump start to jump-start I think I've got enough juice to start in the morning if I disconnect it over night (security etc is giving a light drain). Will this present any problems in the morning, I've got radio codes and itbwont be laced overnight. But is there anything else I need to worry about?
 The Lemming 04 Oct 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> But is there anything else I need to worry about?

The cold and damp mornings, especially when winter comes may prove the downfall of your battery.

Sorry.

cha1n 04 Oct 2015

It'll be fine.
 summo 04 Oct 2015

Presuming your handbrake is better than your battery or alternator, park on a hill.

Ps. You have checked it is the battery and not a very worn out alternator?
OP balmybaldwin 04 Oct 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Alternator giving good charge. It's an 8yr old battery. Got a spare just don't want use it today as I can get one half price and this will allow me to limp to and from work tomorrow
In reply to summo:

Agreed - I have similar problems from time to time due to an unlocated drain on the battery and find that bump starting is an easy backup, and doesn't need much of a slope in either gradient or distance - a sloping driveway is often enough.
 gethin_allen 04 Oct 2015

I don't remember Halfords being that expensive, What sort of car/van are you driving that needs such and expensive battery?
 LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2015

Have you've got the code for the radio noted down?
In reply to gethin_allen:

Jaguar style 2.2 diesel. It's just halfords being overpriced. I can get the exact same battery for £73 from eurocarparts... I just needed it running today so bought it with intention of not using and returning it once I've got one for a decent price.

It's an hb110 85ah 800a standard battery halfords only had the Bosch 5 yr jobs rather than their own brand in that size (which is still £117)
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yep. Learnt that lesson years ago!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...