UKC

find me a cheap "grand montet" ski

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 05 Oct 2015
hi guys

I'm in market for a good 105 ish multi purpose shredder. medium turn radius, as heavy as necessary ski.

suggestions please? and even better link to cheap 14/15 version

probably mounting marker duke
 HeMa 05 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:
Rocker?

Black Crows Corvus seems like a contender and the dynastar whatever 108. Old Atomic Big Daddy would also fit the bill and be cheap NIP. Atomic Automatic should also be on the list.

And the Voile Charger.
Post edited at 20:50
 HeMa 05 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Oh, check the Classic e-retailers like T-P and S-C for deals.
OP alasdair19 05 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

thanks for that.
 galpinos 05 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

There are Whitedot skis on Sportspursuit if they float your boat.
OP alasdair19 06 Oct 2015
In reply to galpinos:

thanks I know they're trendy... will have a look. frankly I know more about climbing gear than is healthy but skis are a mine field
 damowilk 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Not sure about cheap: I'm NZ based, everything is expensive here. But I'd give a cautious thumbs up to Whitedot, I've only done half a season on them. Mine are Preachers, so next size up from what you're looking for. I would have recommended Volkl Nunataqs, but my 2013 pair have both delaminated after no more than 50 days moderate use.
I'm considering replacing mine with either Blizzard zero g 108s or Volkl BMTs, whichever are cheaper. I thought about DPS Wailers, but the Rocker seems more suited to N America powder than NZ crud. I also considered BD Carbon Converts, but they feel too light to be anything other than a self powered powder chaser.

My choice is motivated by mostly touring, and mostly NZ mixed conditions, so might not be what you're looking for.
 tjoliver 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

The Black Crows Atris would fit the bill pretty well.

Don't own a pair myself but know a few skiers who do and they all love them.

I may have a friend, based in Cham, who is selling off last year's model on the cheap side (he can get this year's latest black crows ski for cheap) if you are at all interested. Not sure though.
 Jack Geldard 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Some cheap Sidestash going here (not mine, no idea about the seller), these are ideal GM skis and already mounted with Dukes. £220

ebay.co.uk/itm/Touring-All-Mountain-K2-SIDE-STASH-174cm-with-MARKER-BARON-Bindings-/161837788696?hash=item25ae48ae18
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

thx sadly too short
 Dark-Cloud 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:
As above, Sport Conrad is your friend, they are knocking out last years stuff cheap at the moment.

I have a pair of Scott Punishers for sale a few years old and narrow by todays standards (around 90mm from memory) but a really nice ski non the less but they have downhill bindings on so no good to you really.
Post edited at 09:11
graham F 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Was going to say...Conrad currently selling 184 Annex (the Sidestash replacement) for €300. Bargain.
 mike123 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:
As above The white dots on sport pursuit are a bargain but most of them only seem to be available in 178cm and up. Which is good really because I really can't justify them .
 Dark-Cloud 06 Oct 2015
In reply to graham F:

I find it hard resisting Conrad deals every season !!

The Whitedots are highly tempting, Carbolite Ranger in a 180 something, hmmmmmmm
In reply to mike123:

can't find them for some reason could you send me a link. I have annex as a touring ski 200 euro...
In reply to alasdair19: I was based in Cham for the last 4 winters, skied a lot of days on GM in all conditions.

I've got Volkl Mantras, very old and wrecked Gotamas and some 4frnt EHPs. Had a shot of a mate's Blizzard Cochise 193cm for a few runs last year - I thought they might be too much ski but they we phenomenal. If you can find them, buy them. Any price. Just buy them. Stop reading now...

Ok, some quick opinions:

Whitedots - never skied them but no-one I know rates them. Too much sidecut usually and shovels too big.

Black Crows - mainly skied by people sponsored by them, but no personal experience. Meh.

Dynastar - still haven't bettered the legend pro rider. Don't know anyone who's skied the 105. I've never skied them.

K2s - I've had Hardsides, friends have had sidestash. Fine skies, not very exciting but dependable and often cheap.

Atomic Automatic - as HeMa says, another dependable choice.
graham F 06 Oct 2015
Rigid Raider 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

I'm still using my Rossignol Bandits, go-anywhere and lightweight but hence poor on ice and unexciting out of the turns. Horses for courses I guess.
 walts4 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Fultonius:

> Had a shot of a mate's Blizzard Cochise 193cm for a few runs last year - I thought they might be too much ski but they we phenomenal. If you can find them, buy them. Any price. Just buy them. Stop reading now...

Ok, disclaimer here, don't ski the Blizzards but everything I've seen with my own eyes would convince me too buy these if you can get them, quite happy with the skis I own & defo not buying anymore, anytime soon!

> Black Crows - mainly skied by people sponsored by them, but no personal experience. Meh.

So, so true, but they are such lovely colours if they match your outfit, they would be perfect-))
 mike123 06 Oct 2015
In reply to mike123: can't copy the menu page which has about 10 different skis but here's the redeemer which for some reason keep popping up on my iPad

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/715537?utm_source=Silve...
 kevin stephens 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Preachers
 walts4 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Just appeared on Chamonix buy & sell
DPS Wailer 112 RP 190

€500 – Les Houches

DPS Wailer 112 190 Bamboo/Carbon/Fibreglass Heavily Rockered Ski
Reveiw here
http://www.ski-review.com/ski_revi…/…/dps_wailer_112rp_2011/

See More
 mudmonkey 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Second Ally's vote for Cochise, woo ha! Great all-conditions powerful and fast ski for Chamville - piste/powder/crud busting duty/bumps/slush/hardpack/everything else in between. Deals to be had with a few mins search online.

You can always find a better ski for each individual condition but they are seriously good all round - completely blow my Gotamas out of the water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...