UKC

Starting Out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DoorRaider 09 Oct 2015
Hello Everyone!

I am looking at starting some climbing, I live in Herefordshire / Shropshire in the UK, 23 years old and of a slightly larger size (I wouldn't be trying to do this if I was too big). What would be the best place to start? I am thinking of heading to a climbing wall (Llangourse) and trying it out there. I've always loved the idea of climbing since I went on two adventure trips with school and we climbed up and abseiled down.

Is a climbing wall the best place to start? What would be the ideal kit for me to use and move on to outdoor rock climbing? Any good books / guides for newbies and also for areas around Elan Valley and my area?

Thanks,
Andrew.
 Dell 09 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

Book yourself into a beginners course at the climbing wall. Maybe start with a couple of short 'taster' supervised sessions first.

Worth having a read: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/get-into-climbing-indoor-climbing-bmc-magazine-for...
 climbwhenready 09 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

Hi Andrew,

Climbing inside and outside are activities that manage to be very similar and very different at the same time. Most people nowadays get into it at a climbing wall, though that's by no means essential - it's useful though, as most climbing walls do "beginners' courses" where you can learn how to tie in, belay safely etc. while climbing on plastic. If you have a friend who climbs, they can teach you the same.

Climbing outside is more fun Again, you can either pay for instruction or get a friend to show you. There are a lot of SPA/MIAs in the country who run climbing courses (SPA=instructor who can set up ropes on single pitch, short crags; MIA=mountaineering instructor who can take you climbing virtually anywhere), and Plas y Brenin is the national mountain training centre. There might be local people on UK Climbing who can take you climbing outside if you post on the "Lifts and Partners" section - make sure you can belay safely before you do this, though!

One disadvantage of booking a course at the moment is that the weather is going to get more unpredictable, and a weekend in the rain is unlikely to kindle that passion as much as a crisp, sunny day with birds flying below you

Don't buy kit until you've had a go. A good instructor/beginner's course will be able to give you advice on what you need, and you'll be able make an informed decision. For inside climbing, you can hire everything from the wall (initially) anyway. (Eventually you'll want shoes, harness and a belay device and karabiner, though.)

Finally, climbing is a sport where the safety comes from what people do (i.e. with no safety system in place, it would be incredibly dangerous - but an effectively used safety system removes a huge amount of risk). As you learn, learn to judge whether the friend/Youtube video/post on UKC seems logical and can be trusted, or whether the person is BSing. That will keep you safe.
DoorRaider 09 Oct 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

Hello, Thanks for the information. I've gone ahead and bought the book from the BMC website. I have emailed a few places locally that have climbing walls to see what things they can offer in regards to teaching me the way of handling the ropes and such, then hopefully moving to the outdoors with friends and groups to hopefully hone our skills in further.

Thanks to both above for the fast replys, any others will be welcome!
 ClimberGirl 09 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

I only climb indoors so can't really help with benefits of starting out inside vs outside. However if it would be helpful I will explain how I got started inside as a sort of comparison point. I stand to be corrected on anything though!
First of all as far as gear goes I would suggest starting by hiring it from the wall, as others have said - most offer this. After all, you might discover you hate it after having spent anywhere up to £200 on basic kit! If you want to do only bouldering you'd want just some shoes and a chalkbag, plus harness and belay device for roped climbing. Most walls let you use their ropes, at least for top-roping. If you do decide to buy your own don't go for the most expensive stuff straight away - stupidly aggressive down-turned asymmetric shoes are not going to make you climb like Chris Sharma when you only just start (they are likely to be too painful to climb in!) and will easily cost you upwards of £100.
The best idea would be to start off on a basic course to get the idea.
Do try outdoors too though - I wish I could!
 climbwhenready 09 Oct 2015
In reply to ClimberGirl:

Have you considered posting on Lifts & Partners to see if someone will take you climbing? If you're under 18 you might be able to organise something if a parent goes along.

Alternatively if you need to know you can trust the person you're with, guides will take people under 18.

It sounds like you're desperate to climb outside!
 springfall2008 09 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

If you can just find someone who is a member of a local climbing wall to take you for a quick climb. If you like it then book into a course and learn how to belay and tie your knots, that way you can meet up with friends and climb whenever you like.
 jamescook 09 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

Hi there.

I was in the sames shoes as you, it's different for every one. Me personally have never climbed indoors and my first ever climb I took the lead, as I live in a small time and I found it hard to find partners. I self taught myself everything from books and you tube. Once I tried it I got hooked. Since then I have been out with competent climbers which I've learned a lot of techniques from. so I guess you do what works for you and most of all enjoy it.
DoorRaider 09 Oct 2015
In reply to jamescook:

Thanks, I've spoken to two local places, one which will teach me either on a wall or outside and also another place which is at a indoor wall.

Dell 10 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

I'd go for the indoor option, especially given the weather changes this time of year. Beginners courses teach you very little about climbing, it's all knots and safety drills etc, and how to belay safely.
Once you get this important stuff nailed down, that's it, you're a climber!
 radddogg 10 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

Try and find your local climbing clubs details maybe through Facebook? Explain your situation and ask if they mind you coming along to some of their meets. Climbing can be expensive so don't waste money on training sessions if competent viewers can help for free. This will have the added bonus of introducing you to local like minded individuals who you may be able to link you up with a regular partner.

I'd gladly volunteer if you were local to me in lancs
 radddogg 10 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

Also check this link out for inspiration from a famously slightly larger sized climber, John Dunne

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69919
DoorRaider 12 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have spoken to a local center and had a brief over the phone chat about it all, very helpful indeed!
 jamescook 13 Oct 2015
In reply to DoorRaider:

No dramas, if your out around the Peak District or anywhere central anytime drop me a message.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...