UKC

Modern Technology :o(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 09 Oct 2015
We've just gone over to BT Youview TV with all sorts of functions.

The one that really puzzles me is that you can:
1. Pause a live programme and then "unpause" it. How does it work that you can pause it at a particular time, say 5:30pm, then five minutes later resume the programme from where you paused it?

2. Also noticed that you can "rewind" live programmes and then resume again. How does the tv catch up with the live broadcast?

My brain really does hurt.
 cuppatea 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

The box is recording as you're watching, just a half hour or hours worth.
OP mypyrex 09 Oct 2015
In reply to cuppatea:

Yes, I just got that by googling but how does what you see on the screen catch up with the live broadcast. If I'm watching a 30 minute programme that started at 1 o'clock and pause it for ten minute will my screen view of the programme finish at 1:40 instead of 1:30?

Sorry to be obtuse!
 Shani 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

At a technical level a circular buffer is used (as does most streaming).
OP mypyrex 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Shani:
> At a technical level a circular buffer is used (as does most streaming).

?
I know trains have buffers.
Post edited at 17:37
 ianstevens 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

It doesn't "catch up" - although if you fast forward through advert breaks then it probably will
 Hooo 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

You carry on watching with a delay. You don't catch up. Unless you're on a commercial channel, then you can fast-forward the ads and end up finishing at the same time.

> will my screen view of the programme finish at 1:40 instead of 1:30?

Yes
OP mypyrex 09 Oct 2015
In reply to All:
Thanks for the explanations. I'm a bit more enlightened now

Yanis Nayu 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

You do know that when you pause it, it stops for everyone?
 Bob 09 Oct 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

As the others have said: the live signal is put straight on to the hard disk then read off and shown to you. Depending on the unit this can be anywhere from half an hour to an hour. The writing and reading from disk are two separate tasks so can be controlled separately. When you pause live TV you are stopping the reading bit, when you resume then the writing and reading are now separated by however long you paused for. The unit doesn't "catch up" unless you skip forward in some manner.

This also means that if you have been watching a programme from the start and then decide to record it then the saved recording will start from the beginning so long as you aren't beyond the half hour or hour buffer length.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...