UKC

Best Mountain Boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 09 Oct 2015
What is the best B2 boot you have ever used?

I have a wide fitting foot, so am limited to current models: North Face Verto SK4 or Mammut GTX.

Actually disappointed with how quickly the soles of the NF boot wore out - 18 months, several weeks of daily use and the front of the sole completely worn away.

A lot of people commented on how funky the NF boot looked!

Will be testing the Mammut next week......
Bserk 12 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

have a look into some of the brands that offer extra wide models like Lowa, Hanwag or Garmont. If you use your B2 boot in alpine condidtions day in and out I would not be surprised that it wears out after 18 months! My Sportivas are showing heavy wear and tear after only two 6000m peaks
 nutme 12 Oct 2015

I have North Face S6K and they fit me very well. I would guess that they are similar fit to S4K. If so my B2 choice is Scarpa Manta which fits me perfectly as well. Scarpa is size 40 while North Face is 40.5 so sizing is slightly off.

I would recommend Manta, amazing boot and full leather - extremely durable.
mattlee 12 Oct 2015

Mammut Monolith GTX. I've had mine for three winters and can't fault them. Used them extensively in the lakes.....Warm, Comfortable and look the part. I bought a pair of Nepal GTX for a recent Mont Blanc trip and they are very good but not sure they're worth £130 more than the Mammut's. B2 covers most eventualities for me !

Ysgo 12 Oct 2015

The Mammut Goretex? That's not a model. That's two brandnames.

I don't quite understand how much use you've had. 18 months of daily use, or several weeks of daily use?4
18 months of daily use, and I'm surprised they lasted that long. 18 months and I'm not massively surprised. They're a lightweight technical boot. Stuff wears out.

If you want a durable boot, it's gotta be heavier. I'd second the Manta recommendation. Very durable. Or maybe just accept that footwear is getting lighter, so wears out sooner.

Incidentally, I imagine Feet First could resole the Vertos for you.
 Welsh Kate 12 Oct 2015

Salewa Blackbirds come in wide fittings. Worth a look, they're very comfy.

Currently in correspondence with Mammut about their boots. Maybe starting another posting on Corporate responsibility and value for money soon.
 olddirtydoggy 25 Oct 2015

There seems to be a huge ongoing problem at Mammut over soles just simply peeling off or falling to bits. We did a 3 day trek on the Cairngorms recently and one of the party was wearing some Mammuts straight out of the box and the soles were peeling off. My latest pair of XT Trail GTX are in bits. This isn't a new problem and I can't understand why they are not addressing this. My old Raichle's were the best boots I've ever worn but I'll never buy another product with the Mammut brand on it again. It's really sad as they are probably the easiest fit on anybody's feet.
 The Potato 26 Oct 2015

Scarpa manta I've had them for seven years although I do only wear them in winter
 Mr Trebus 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Salewa Blackbirds come in wide fittings. Worth a look, they're very comfy.

I have wide feet and love my salewa ravens. My feet still feel great at the end of a long day out.

I am not sure about the durability of the sole though as I have seen reports that the sole does wear quickly.

Al
 nathan79 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

I've got Salewa Rapace, B1's, and the soles are showing a pretty decent amount of after around 18 months, and they haven't had massive use. Fine apart from that.

Mammut Monoliths are my winter alternative. Great boots. Going on three years old and wearing well.
 StuDoig 26 Oct 2015

I'll add to the Manta suggestion. I've a very wide right foot (extra wide fitting on Altberg boots if that helps at all....). Anyway, wear mine for long days with no complaints.

Cheers,

Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...