UKC

A canon for all seasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 10 Oct 2015
I have used NIkon cameras for 20+years and I am aware of problems that seem to arise which cannot just be because of carrying them on a karabiner on my harness whilst chimneying.
So I am considering changing to Canon.Therefore I would like some advice about what to go for.I would like to look at a full format DSLR(I currently have a Nikon P7000, D90 and D7000),but do not know if it makes much difference over whether you buy a MkII or MkIII version of a particular model of camera.
So over to you Nick and co.
In reply to veteye:

Just out of curiosity, what problems are you having that you hope Canon will solve, and what do you mean by 'for all seasons'. You want it weather sealed, good for cold weather etc?

And the difference between Mks is often significant. The 7D Mk1 and Mk2 have a lot of differences, completely different cameras really.
 CasWebb 10 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

As purplemonkey... says, what problems are you encountering that may be solved by switching brands?
By full format DSLR are you meaning 'full frame' or just standard DSLR, I'm guessing the latter from the cameras you've already got and you probably wouldn't want £2k worth of camera body hanging off your harness anyway.
I own both a Canon 7d Mark I and Mark II and the differences are significant with a vastly improved focussing system and increased processing power, but it is not always the case that you should go for the higher Mark number as the changes are not always as dramatic and the older model can give better value for money with the same overall performance.
OP veteye 10 Oct 2015
In reply to CasWebb:

I haven't exactly formulated how I will use the new camera, but probably will not abuse it quite so much. Nevertheless I will have it out in the hills/Munros etc and along the shore of Sandwood Bay or near to The Old Man of Stoer or similar, so wind and sand are possible(though I will try to avoid them).
The reason for all seasons in the title is that I would want to use the camera for landscape, mountaineering, climbing, bird shots, possibly motorbike races etc. So I want at least some versatility.
I want to try full frame(so I will be moving up a little on the previous cameras). You never know, I may have 2k of camera hanging off my harness in answer to your consideration,but certainly not in the same way that I have used the Nikons up to now.
The problem in part has been the way that Nikon deal with people when their camera is sent for mending. It is also about the fact that there seems to be a problem with all Nikon DSLRs with the connections between lens and body.
So I am trying to cut down on the time that I would need to spend normally, in order to find out about the different models that fit my parameters.
 ScottTalbot 10 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:
I doubt you'll gain anything by switching brands, but I'm still unsure what you're wanting from your camera!?!
I have a Canon 1D mkii. It's weather sealed (provided the lens you're using is weather sealed.. Not all L glass is), and the body is pretty much bomb proof (the lenses obviously aren't though)! The downside is that the 1 Series cameras weigh an absolute ton!

As for which model to go for... The mkii's are out of date now, so I'd be looking at a mkiii at the very least. This is a 1.3x crop sensor. If you want a full frame sensor, you'll need to look at a 1D mkiii S. Or mkiv S if you can afford it. Personally I'd be looking at a 5D mkiii, but they aren't as solid and aren't weatherproof. They handle low light better though, and are marginally lighter...

If you do a lot of night photography, stars etc, I'd stay with the Nikon, as they are better at high ISO.
Post edited at 16:33
In reply to veteye:

Dear veteye, having been out with you so many times walking and climbing I know the abuse your Nikons have had to endure and how much time they've spent in the menders!

All I can say is you need to treat them with a little more tenderness.

That said, if you really want to come over to Canon then I can tell you that my 7D was as tough as old boots and a durable workhorse. I'm currently using the 6D which is light years ahead in terms of image quality but is not quite as tough as the 7D.

Horses for courses I guess but if you ant something that gives great image quality and will take a beating then you're looking at a 1D of some description...the newer models aren't cheap!
 icnoble 11 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:
Why do you want full frame? Have you considered the Fuji X series. My last dslr was a Nikon D800 together with the holy grail of Nikon zoom lenses. I have used Nikon since the days of film and never once felt the need to jump to Canon. The reason I changed to the Fuji system is that I wanted a much smaller camera without compromising too much on quality, and the X-T1 fits the bill. It's is a great camera to use and produces great images. I do some studio photography and my photography friends are impressed with the image quality despite the sensor being only 16mp. For travel I have just bought then even smaller Fuji X-T10. A significant number of professional wedding and portrait photographers are moving over to the mirror less system. Both Canon and Nikon need to get their act together.
 icnoble 11 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

Just to add, the icing on the cake with the Fuji system is the quality of their lenses which certainly match Nikon, and I suspect Canon. Fuji know a thing or two about the design and manufacture of lenses.

dek 11 Oct 2015
In reply to icnoble:

I had a look at the Fuji and Olympus 'mini' Dslr bodies in John Lewis yesterday. Both of them are utterly gorgeous and 'Tiny' , not to mention the weatherproof bodies! For travel, outdoors, and climbing photography, it's a no brainer, but...which one?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...