UKC

NEWS: 2nd ascent of Nuclear war, ~8B+, by Ashima

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Oct 2015
Ashima Shiraishi on Blood Meridian, ~8B, Bishop, CA, 6 kbAshima Shiraishi, still only 14, has made the second ascent of Matt Bosley's Nuclear war, ~8B+, in southern New York state.

In 2006 Matt added a sit start to War cry, ~8A, and suggested 8B+. Since then no one has been able to repeat it and it has been suggested it could have broken.

Along...

Read more
 Fraser 12 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Fine effort, but really could do with more exclamation marks methinks!!!!!!

Side query: are there any other climbers out there now only known by a single name?
 Durbs 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Ondra, Gaskins, Puccio & Sharma...

Though "First name only" is rarer... Shauna & Nalle?
 jsmcfarland 12 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I think if you said Sasha everyone would know who you meant
 ben davison 12 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Outrageous!
 Fraser 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Durbs:

> Ondra, Gaskins, Puccio & Sharma...

> Though "First name only" is rarer... Shauna & Nalle?

Mmmm, maybe yes, perhaps not 'Puccio' though. Personally, I'd exclude 'Shauna' and 'Nalle', but that could just be me!

I was actually meaning more in terms of headline reporting but your suggestions are valid.
 stp 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Surely has a lot to do with the rarity of the name and surnames are more distinctive than first names usually. Ashima and Nalle are both very distinctive, at least to us English speakers. They're also easier to pronounce than their surnames. Shauna is part of the UK field and there aren't that many really good female climbers out there. Mina is also referred to by her first name in the UK, and again easier to pronounce than her surname. We don't get her confused with the Slovenian climber.

> I'd exclude 'Shauna' and 'Nalle', but that could just be me!

Why?
 Dennis999 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Anecdotally, in my circle of friends I think we only refer to her as Puccio.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...