UKC

Where to live in the Forest of Dean/Wye Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 12 Oct 2015
Currently busy being priced out of the parts of Bristol in which I'd choose to live and so the Forest of Dean/Wye Valley is very much looking like Plan B. Can anyone recommend places to live?

Priorities are:
- Good pub within walking distance
- Not too suburban (middle of Coleford or Lydney doesn't appeal)
- Not much more than an hour's commute to Thornbury
- Proximity to good walking, climbing or MTB-ing

All opinions welcome.
 Oogachooga 12 Oct 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Looking into this aswell, eventually. Interest in opinions too.
OP MonkeyPuzzle 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

The lack of responses says either no one lives there, or that the internet in FoD isn't great.
 BusyLizzie 12 Oct 2015

I have long had a fantasy that when I am a little old lady I will buy one of those houses at the top of Wintour's Leap and reinstate access for climbers through the garden. I will leap out upon climbers with my zimmer frame and force them to accept cake and cups of tea...

When I was a little lass I had family who lived in Christchurch, which has always seemed to me to be a lovely place to live, or perhaps English Bicknor. However, as to the commute, isn't the bridge going to be a nuisance? And a bridge fee every morning will add up.

L
 Boogs 12 Oct 2015

I'm currently living in Coleford , FoD for me its pretty dull but the positives for me are the quality mtb trails only two miles away & the quality crags thirty minutes away plus of course the river . Its fairly reasonable to rent or buy around here at present but with many moving in from further a field it seems the prices are steadily increasing .

I would suggest the St Briavels area but its becoming more sought after . Great hiking close by , I can be up in the Brecons within forty five minutes .

There does seem to be quite a cool party arty scene in & around Coleford & the surrounding areas so overall not such a bad place to be at the moment . If all else fails you can be back in Bristol within the hour ( In the evenings ).
In reply to Boogs:

Yeah, sorry, it's probably people like me who can't afford Bristol because of the people moving in from London, so we go and do the same elsewhere.

Interesting about the scene around Coleford - I like a party and my partner's quite arty (anyone's welcome to use that for a song). Good real ale boozers worth a mention?
 Boogs 12 Oct 2015

The Dog House in Coleford is quite a cool little pub/bar with a decent selection of real ales & proper ciders . A few decent pubs & restaurants within a 15 mile radius too . I do believe there is a lot more potential for night life in & around the FoD , there is a really good free party scene with decent music & crowds .

I've been to some exceptional parties ( weekenders ) over the last couple of years often attended by lots of peeps from Brighton , London , Bristol & beyond who love to get away from the frenetic cities .

It does slowly but certainly seem to be evolving for the better .
In reply to Boogs:

Cheers for the info. Good to know there's stuff going on.
 Boogs 12 Oct 2015

No worries feel free to email or post again if you have any more questions .

Boogs .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...