UKC

Polish Tatras & climbingholidays.eu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hokkyokusei 12 Oct 2015
I'm tempted to book a four day course with climbingholidays.eu as a refresher course for myself, since I've not been out in winter for a couple of years and I was never that proficient in the first place, if I'm honest with myself. But I've got an urge do get out there this winter and getting something booked and in the diary seems like the best way of ensuring I actually get off my ars*.

Has anyone ever used climbingholidays.eu before? Were they good?

How reliable is the snow and ice in the Tatras in February?
 flaneur 12 Oct 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

climbingholidays.eu appear to have no insurance, they do not advertise they have membership of any bonded organisation that would cover you if they went bust or decided to walk off with your money. They display the BMC logo prominently on their website, but the BMC do not ratify outfits such as this and they have no formal connection with the BMC. The two who run this outfit have also formed a climbing 'club' which they have registered with the BMC. This seems sharp practice to me. The guides or instructors appear to have no mountaineering qualifications, I'd like someone to have more than an SPA if they were taking me winter climbing. They don't even advertise their experience on their website, which makes one question how much they have. Their marketing seems to consist solely of spamming every Facebook climbing group I belong to, despite most of these groups stipulating strictly no commercial posts. Shabby tactics and a pain in the ass for group admins and other users. If all this is a reflection of their professionalism on the hill, I wouldn't touch them with an 85cm ice axe.
OP hokkyokusei 13 Oct 2015
In reply to flaneur:

Thanks for the heads up.
 olddirtydoggy 14 Oct 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

There were guides advertising around the town of Zakopane when I was there 3 years ago. Late Sep had waist deep snow so I would expect Feb to be in full condition. Orla Perc area would be a pretty big hitter in the winter.
 silhouette 14 Oct 2015
In reply to flaneur:

>Their marketing seems to consist solely of spamming every Facebook climbing group I belong to, despite most of these groups stipulating strictly no commercial posts.

I'll second that
 nutme 14 Oct 2015
Hiring local guide is always a win. Most of polish guides will speak basic English and have much better knowledge of the conditions.

Personally I have experience climbing with Piotr Konopka in 2009 on my first visit to Tatras and he was very good. Would recommend:
http://www.mountain-guide.pl

Tourist information in Zakopane offer very poor service and won't be able to say that is in condition. You have to do homework yourself.

Late February is likely to be the best time to climb, but generally Tatras are more of mixed terrain, don't expect frozen waterfalls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...