UKC

Rugby - I think England fans should support Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 12 Oct 2015
Lads remember the good old days when we conquered the globe for you while you lads sat in the tent drinking scotch and buggering each other?

Well now you owe us your support.
 Simon4 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:
> Lads remember the good old days when we conquered the globe for you while you lads sat in the tent drinking scotch and buggering each other?

That was the Scotchmen and no true Englishman is ever going to support them, especially given their standard ABE approach! We need to drink lots of whisky now to forget just how bad the England team were, and how they were the exact opposite of their hype.

> Well now you owe us your support.

Being true English men and admiring fine competitors, with true sporting spirit and great endeavour, are you sure we shouldn't support the Welsh? As in grudgingly muttering "jolly well done, fine play, you smug, gloating Welsh bastards"?

The Irish fans do seem more jolly though, so perhaps you are right. The Welsh seem to be miserable whiners even when they are winning, (there is no way to know what the English are like when they are winning, because it would be like reporting on the effectiveness of the French army rifle).
Post edited at 13:01
 Greenbanks 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

The largest proportion of those doing the 'conquering' were the poor & dispossessed English working classes though!
By all means, have my support...I will give it to Scotland & Wales too.

)
In reply to Simon4:
> The Irish fans do seem more jolly though, so perhaps you are right.

They have Guinness and whiskey

> The Welsh seem to be miserable whiners

They have Wrexham lager
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> They have Wrexham lager

And Felinfoel Double Dragon.....

(Which, to be fair, travels even less well than Guinness)
OP Cú Chullain 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

"The Irish fans do seem more jolly though, so perhaps you are right"

Cardiff was carnage last night, fair play to the Frenchies though, they made some noise as well. My ears still hurt.
 Chris the Tall 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:
I always do - but that's cos my Mum is Irish.
Mind you, she always supports the Welsh, due to a somewhat questionable fondness for Max Boyce
Post edited at 13:59
 Simon4 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:
We will support the Japs just to spite you all! After all they did much BETTER than was expected. (As against England who were as miserable as could, in retrospect, have been predicted, being chronically "nearly" players).

Oh hang on, they are off home as well (we are home, but trying hard to pretend we are not).
Post edited at 14:16
 Simon4 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> due to a somewhat questionable fondness for Max Boyce

There is ANOTHER kind?
 Postmanpat 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

> Lads remember the good old days when we conquered the globe for you while you lads sat in the tent drinking scotch and buggering each other?

>
Actually, no I don't. But nevertheless, it's got to be the Irish. Best style of play, best attitude, best fans.

Welsh are OK, but any Englishman over the age of 40 is still recovering from the childhood trauma of losing to them for 20 years. French are, well, French.

Scots? ABS.
In reply to C£ Chullain:

That's just a cover story: turns out they were at it with the hog roast.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

Ireland is the only one of the home nations I haven't got a claim on, but I'm happy to support them. The game against the French was great.
 Trangia 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

I did support you. And it worked even though I had to do it surreptitiously (my GF's French!) So I should appreciate your thanks
 Oceanrower 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

I would like to support the Irish but, unfortunately, I live in Guildford. Long memories here.
 Alan Bates 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£llain:

Great performance yesterday against France, there was only one 'Team' on the field. I'll be right behind the Irish and will be willing on the Welsh next Saturday when I'm there watching with my two sons. Scotland as well against Australia.
As someone who thinks he is English, I'm never sure if it is my love and respect for all our neighbouring countries that allows me to support all and any of them (after England), or the fact that despite having been brought up in England since the age of 2 (with an English father), I was born in Scotland, of an Irish mum, and my wife's family has a lot of Welsh blood.
Anyway it certainly keeps me enjoying the RWC, beyond England's exit
 Horse 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:
I think you have been around here long enough to know Los Pumas are my second team so, sorry. As an aside very sad to see POC getting carted off on the ambulance buggy. Shame if that is the last we see of him as an international player, real class act and all round good guy.

I suspect the Northern Tribe need all the help they can get to avoid a proper filleting so they don't need the kiss of death my support normal brings them. Hopefully, the loons from over the channel will turn up and play the joker next weekend, looks like a long shot to me.

As to the Welsh, give me a call when hell freezes over
Post edited at 19:45
 Dave the Rave 12 Oct 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

> Well now you owe us your support.

I'm not bitter as I'm no rugby fan, but take plenty of stick for being English.
Personally I hope Ireland beat Wales in the final. I want it down to the last kick with Wales to kick for a penalty and win. The egg would hit the upright, drop down onto the bar, spin around and tantalising fall on the wrong side.
Then, I would go apeshit in the local and order a guiness
 coinneach 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Aye we need you to support Australia please at the weekend to slightly increase the tiny, tiny wee chance that we have against them.
 Postmanpat 12 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:
> Aye we need you to support Australia please at the weekend to slightly increase the tiny, tiny wee chance that we have against them.

So you won't be wanting my spare yellow shirt then?
Post edited at 21:26
 coinneach 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Just give it to Dobbin along with your hat with the corks on and a six pack of Fosters.
 Horse 12 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> ... and a six pack of Fosters.

Easy Tiger, I do have standards.
 Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Well to be fair, you have a better recent record against the Australians than the Welsh.
Jim C 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I would like to support the Irish but, unfortunately, I live in Guildford.
Long memories here.

Understandable, but I guess the Irish have even longer memories (and grudges. )

In reply to C£ Chullain:

How do. I'm English, but in Union rules In recent times I have decided to support the Welsh, that London may as well be in another country for all the connection I have to it or twickers. I was born and raised and once again live in a village which was named after some black monks from France if that has anything to do with it. But my surname comes from Scotland.

So long story short if the Irish get to the only game that matters, you'll get my support. Do you have any songs for Yorkshire immigrants like me to sing?
OP Cú Chullain 13 Oct 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

Even if you just learn the chorus you will fit right in with the Irish support at all matches. Welcome aboard

By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
Micheal they are taking you away
For you stole Trevelyn's corn
So the young might see the morn.
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay.

Low lie the Fields of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly.
Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young man calling
Nothing matters Mary when you're free,
Against the Famine and the Crown
I rebelled they ran me down
Now you must raise our child with dignity.

By a lonely harbour wall
She watched the last star falling
As that prison ship sailed out against the sky
Sure she'll wait and hope and pray
For her love in Botany Bay

If you are feeling brave you can belt out the national anthem as well:

Sinne Fianna Fáil,
atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,
Buíon dár slua
thar toinn do ráinig chughainn,
Faoi mhóid bheith saor
Seantír ár sinsear feasta,
Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoin tráill.
Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,
Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
Seo libh canaídh amhrán na bhfiann

(oh and a few sprays of this stuff would help as well)

http://www.stupid.com/assets/images/SHMM_3.jpg
In reply to C£ Chullain:

Cheers and may the luck of the gods be with the Irish Giants!
 coinneach 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Oh . . . Soreee.

Castlemaine XXXX it is then . . . !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...