UKC

Logbooks - My Partners Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Oct 2015
You used to get a list of your partners' ascents on the logbooks home page.
Last update this was changed so you now had to click on a separate link.
After the current set of improvements, it's now 3 clicks - logbook -> Recent Ascents -> My Partners

This seems strange to me. Why would I want to see my own recent ascents by default - I already know what I've been doing. Similarly, why would I then want to see random scents by people I don't know on crags I've never heard of? I just want to see what people I know have been up to. Those two extra clicks are time that I'll never get back, you are literally shortening my life.

So in the spirit of recent threads - this horrific change to the logbook system has ruined the whole site for me, it's turned something that was totally brilliant into a horrible ordeal, and I demand that you change it back immediately.

Thank you.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Although I strongly suspect your vitriol is somewhat tongue in cheek, I will answer...

I think you may be in a minority in not wanting to see your own ascents. Our observations of how people used Logbook indicated that people were more focussed on their own performance. You could of course save yourself 2 clicks by bookmarking the Partners ascents - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/latest_ascents.php?sorting=2 and then it will always open up on that page.

Being able to see everyone's recent ascents has been a much requested feature and is incredibly useful for checking route condition.

The recent changes have nothing much to do with Smart Phones apart from that they are far smaller pages and much more efficient to load. This helps people on dodgy connections, those with paid data connections and by reducing our astronomical bandwidth costs (a bit).

Cheers

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Although I strongly suspect your vitriol is somewhat tongue in cheek

maybe just a little

> Being able to see everyone's recent ascents has been a much requested feature and is incredibly useful for checking route condition.

That makes a lot of sense for a specific crag. But I still can't see much use for a list of the last couple of dozen routes logged in the system (based on date logged not date of ascent). http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/latest_ascents.php
 Offwidth 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

"I think you may be in a minority in not wanting to see your own ascents."

Once t'was a logbooker called Wayne
Who outwardly looked really sane
Yet once every night
All past glories he'd sight
Despite those who'd have said its quite vain

Dave Garnett 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

There's very little logic to what I record in my logbook, sometimes it's significant in some way, or setting something straight, mostly it's just when I feel like it. I certainly never intended it to be a complete retrospective history, although now I'm getting prompts to confirm old ascents when I'm listed as a partner by another user it remains to be seen whether I can resist the OCD completist tendencies.

It does feel a little as if I'm being asked to corroborate ascents (your secrets are safe with me, Jon Read) but overall I don't completely hate the recent changes - which is close as I get to approving of change!

I've made Latest Ascents default to My Partners (if you're logged in) and added Latest Ascents to the Logbooks dropdown menu. You can have your life back
 kingholmesy 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks - much better for all us logbook stalkers!
 Misha 15 Oct 2015

What would be really useful is if you could get all recent ascents at a crag or in an area - Cloggy, North Wales, etc. Like the winter latest ascents page but something you could filter yourself. Suspect it would be a really big job to implement that though.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Misha:

Its already there! Go to a crag and click the latest ascents tab.
 Misha 15 Oct 2015
In reply to remus:
Thanks didn't know that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...