UKC

Ground penetrating radar survey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone have any experience of having had a GPR survey done on or around their property? Looking online , it seems to me that the companies that do this type of work cater for local authority type work rather than private property. Are we talking mega bucks for a survey of approx 20 square meters? Any change out of a grand?
 RyanOsborne 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I've only had them done through work and much larger areas and cost than you're likely to need. Whereabouts in the UK is it and what are you trying to pick up?

speak to your local archaeology lot. they might have the kit and able to complete it at a much reduced cost. GPR is widely used in archaeological survey work.
 Mattyk 12 Oct 2015

I used to do this sort of stuff for a job. what you looking for. it might not be suitable for the job.. that's the 1st mistake some people make. Email me if you want to chat about it. Depending where you are you might find somebody to do it cheapish but I would expect 500-700 quid with report and one person on site within a couple of hours of base.
In reply to Mattyk:

Thx for replies...I am looking for drainage pipes and soak aways, plus a possible sump pump. All under a patio/ brick path and lawns. Trying to fix some drainage issues but would be great to know whats already in place before digging and pulling up patio.
 blurty 13 Oct 2015

A camera survey would come in for less than £500, and they will map the pipe network on the surface for you. (The camera mole will have a radio locator on it if you specify that's what you want)
 daWalt 13 Oct 2015

hire a CAT scanner with signal generator, this typ-a-thing:
http://www.hss.com/hire/p/cable-and-pipe-locator-cat-3-hire-pack-1

In reply to blurty:

I had a drainage guy around with a camera and they couldn't get the camera down the drains as access was too difficult ...started with an immediate bend that the camera couldn't get through.
In reply to daWalt:

that's interesting...I will look into that further..thx
 daWalt 13 Oct 2015

they're a piece of cake to use;
for pipes you need some starting point for the signal generator; i.e. you place the signal generator inside (or on top of - less good but works) an access chamber / manhole. The signal reverberates along all the connected pipework and this is picked up on the surface with the scanner.

with a bit of setting-out / line marking paint you should be able to trace out whatever's under ground.
it's reasonably accurate; i.e. more than accurate enough to be able to place services so that you don't plough straight through them with an excavator.
but it won't tell you the difference between an elec cable and a clay pipe.......

TAG_UTLEY 14 Oct 2015

try these:

http://www.land-scope.com/

do private and commercial stuff.
 Andrew Wilson 14 Oct 2015

You could excavate around this bend and disconnect it to put the camera down the pipe.
The camera is a good option.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...