UKC

Towbar/ roof bike rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Probably been done to death but cant find anything that quite answers questions.

2 cars. Polo and focus. Want both to be able to carry one or both bikes.

1) Both get roof bars with bike attachments
2) both get tow bars and get 1 bike carrier that can fit on both towbars.

Need it so my we can both use whichever option alone and fairly swiftly.

I was erring towards towbar option due to gf needing to lift mountain bike onto roof of car is probable do able but not ideal. But then attaching some towbar carriers seems to be a two person job.

Any thoughts?
 LastBoyScout 13 Oct 2015
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
Similar conundrum when we changed cars last year - no tow bars and the roof bars for my old car wouldn't fit either of the new cars.

Cheapest solution for me was new roof bars that would fit both cars. Whispbar worked out much cheaper than Thule, as I needed foot packs for flush rails for one car and no rails on the other - the bars are more expensive, but the foot packs are much, much cheaper and if I change cars again it will only be £25 for a new foot pack (unless it needs wider bars).

Changing the foot from clamps to rails is a bit of a fiddle, but we mainly use one car and so don't do it often.

Everything you need is here: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Edit - if you want fast, then bolting roof bars to the car, then the bike carriers to the bars takes time. I suspect the mount points on those cars won't be the same distances apart, so you'll need to fiddle each time you change cars.

Sounds like a tow-bar mounted solution might be best for you.
Post edited at 12:19
 Chris the Tall 13 Oct 2015

I've found using roof bars more convient. Putting the bike carriers on and off is pretty quick (and don't leave them on your car when not in use - makes you a target for burglary), as is putting the bikes on. But only if your strong enough and tall enough to do it.

One other issue to be aware of, the bike is far more stable if you remove the front wheel and grip that way, rather than gripping on the down tube. But the manufactures don't seem to have caught up with through axles. (Yes you can get them, but there are issues)
 Fraser 13 Oct 2015
Can't you just get a tailgate mounted one which will fit both cars? Easy enough to lift the bikes off and on. Thule do a nice, lockable one for about £180 (you can still access the boot) but there are much cheaper options available too, from about £60.

Edit: this is the one I was thinking about:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=bikegen&query=6097&v...
Post edited at 13:11
In reply to Fraser:

Girlfriend is VERY wary of tailgate mounted ones... i presume there has been an incident! ? !
 LastBoyScout 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> I've found using roof bars more convient. Putting the bike carriers on and off is pretty quick (and don't leave them on your car when not in use - makes you a target for burglary), as is putting the bikes on. But only if your strong enough and tall enough to do it.

Until you get to a car park with a height restriction - a mate of mine nearly smashed both our bikes that way, until I yelled "Stop".

> One other issue to be aware of, the bike is far more stable if you remove the front wheel and grip that way, rather than gripping on the down tube. But the manufactures don't seem to have caught up with through axles. (Yes you can get them, but there are issues)

Fork mount carriers are definitely the best option - clamping the frame was always a stupid idea where lightweight frames are concerned. You can get adapters for through axles - search "fork up" on Chain Reaction Cycles, for example.

stubbed 13 Oct 2015

I am average height (5'4'') but can manage to put both bikes on the roof of our cars (thule roof bars). Much easier to access boot when you are travelling, and less messy I think.
 Fraser 13 Oct 2015

> Girlfriend is VERY wary of tailgate mounted ones... i presume there has been an incident! ? !

Fair dos. I suppose any system is only as good as the fixing it's had! A friend of mine had two bikes come off his roof-mounted rack on the motorway - very messy! I'll be watching this thread with interest.
In reply to stubbed:

Height isnt an issue more a strength thing with mountain bikes.... may have a run through/practice tonight to see if its feasible for her.
 BazVee 13 Oct 2015

I've had a tow bar mounted bike carrier for ten years now, use it on both car and camper van. There weren't many around when I bought it (A Thule Classic something) and think it might be on the heavy side but I have always been able to lift it on my own. I think (not certain though) you will find the modern ones lighter and much easier to handle by a single person.

I preferred it as I was mountain biking on Tuesday evenings and wanted something that was reasonably easy to remove and was in a position that didn't have mud all over the roof when I went out on a Wednesday to meet clients. Mine hangs on the wall in the garage when not in use.
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Until you get to a car park with a height restriction - a mate of mine nearly smashed both our bikes that way, until I yelled "Stop".

Yep, did that at car park in Bakewell, but fortunately the only thing damaged was some bunting !
In reply to Fraser:

Side story... my friends dad was driving along french motorway 20+ years ago and spare wheel either dropped off back of 4x4 or from citroen type under boot mounting (cant remember which) from car infront. flipped into air left a slight dent mark on his roof and went straight through windscreen of car behind.... not much left identifiable of lady driver
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> Fork mount carriers are definitely the best option - clamping the frame was always a stupid idea where lightweight frames are concerned. You can get adapters for through axles - search "fork up" on Chain Reaction Cycles, for example.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that product
 nniff 13 Oct 2015

For the cost of that lot (certainly the cost of the towbar option) you could get a pair of Seasucker Talons or a Seasucker bomber. Problem solved for ever (unless you buy a soft top convertible). Also gives you a rack you can take on holiday if you need to.

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/brands/seasucker.list?autocomplete=searchsugges...
 wilkesley 13 Oct 2015
In reply to BazVee:

Also got a Thule one, which I have had for a similar length of time. My truck has a tow bar fitted anyway, so a tow bar mounted carrier was the obvious solution. It tilts, so you can open the tailgate if required.
 phizz4 13 Oct 2015

Used a roof mounted Thule system on my Audi A4 avant to start off with but quickly sold it because it really hit the fuel consumption and didn't do the roof much good either because of bike 'droppings'. Now use a Thule detachable tow ball rack, which tilts backwards with the bikes still on it so you can access the boot and find this much better. It does, however, mean you have to get a tow bar fitted.
In reply to phizz4:

Mates rates mean I get a towbar and get it fited for about 60-70quid per car so would just be the cost of the rack ontop of that. I have friends who have the cheapo Ebay option http://tinyurl.com/pr2sp2s and others who say Thule or similar expensive option all the way....
 AlisonSmiles 13 Oct 2015

Horses for courses I reckon. I've had two kinds of tow bar mounted bike racks, both of which were perfectly manageable by one person, if helped he'd have only got in the way anyway. First cheap v shaped thing, second Thule. I've also done roof mounted (I'm not tall), and a small foldable step worked fine.

Being a woman, I'd side with her. What does she want?
 Fraser 13 Oct 2015

> Side story...

That's gotta be a PG for that one! Not good.

Tricky Dicky 15 Oct 2015

I use a buzzrack towbar rack from roofbox and am really happy with it, light enough to clamp on the towbar but sturdy enough. About 25 years ago I had two bikes on the roof of my car and hit a car park height barrier, bikes were OK (Konas), but roof bars buckled and dent in car roof.

Thought it would never happen again, but 10 years ago my bike was on the roof of a friends car, along with hers. She drove into a a car park height barrier (I didn't even notice it), both bike racks ruined, both bikes bounced along the road with thankfully only cosmetic damage.

Have really been put off roof carriers...................

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...