UKC

Lovelace Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 winhill 13 Oct 2015
Not as exciting as it sounds, it turns out.

Can't help wondering if Douglas Adams made the connection with his Deep Thought joke.

Victoria Coren Mitchell is probably the nearest thing we have today, just a much better gambler.
 dek 13 Oct 2015
In reply to winhill:

> Not as exciting as it sounds, it turns out.

> Victoria Coren Mitchell is probably the nearest thing we have today, just a much better gambler.

If thats some kind of 'Gag'....it's hard to swallow.........
In reply to winhill:

On a similar theme... Congratulations to Tu Youyou on winning the Nobel prize in medicine

...and for being the most confusing person to sing Happy Birthday to,
 Timmd 13 Oct 2015
In reply to winhill:
It's a funny old world, what 'do' engineers look like?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34359936

"I think I'm kicking ass" - Isis Anchalee, software engineer, San Francisco
When Isis Anchalee's employer OneLogin asked her to take part in its recruitment campaign, she didn't rush to consult the selfie-loving Kardashian sisters for styling tips.
"I was wearing very minimal make-up. I didn't brush my hair that day," she said.
"They just asked for a photo of my face alongside what I really enjoy about working at the company."
But the resulting image of Ms Anchalee created a social media storm when it appeared on Bart, the San Francisco metro.
Lots of people questioned whether she really was an engineer.
"There were two other ads that went up that had two male co-workers - one of them was wearing a large black hat and a shirt that said 'hacker'," Ms Anchalee said.
"I thought that one might have been a little controversial but it was mine that people seemed to care about."
Stereotype
Feeling "helpless", she wrote a blog post and launched the hashtag #ilooklikeanengineer - inviting other engineers to share their own portraits on Twitter, holding up a sign bearing the phrase.
"It was not just limited to women - it resonates with every single person who doesn't fit with what the stereotype should look like," she said.
Thousands of people have taken part, and other professions including surgeons and physicists have also adopted the idea.
Isis Anchalee, who taught herself to code at the age of eight, is no stranger to her appearance and career choice causing confusion.
"You're way too hot to be an engineer," said a man in the lift of her block of flats when she wore a T-shirt from program-sharing service Github.
An awkward attempt at flattery, perhaps?
"It definitely was not a compliment," she countered.
"I was dumbfounded. What do you say to something like that?
"In a perfect world I would love for there not to be a need for me to stand out as a female engineer - but we have to work really hard.
"I've ended up where I'm at and I think I'm kicking ass."
Post edited at 21:33
 Dave Garnett 13 Oct 2015
In reply to winhill:

> Can't help wondering if Douglas Adams made the connection with his Deep Thought joke.

I hope so, that's really rather smart.

Kipper 13 Oct 2015
In reply to winhill:

Linda?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...