UKC

NEWS: HUGE Logbook Updates on UKC!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Oct 2015
Crag Overview has live Access Issues from the BMC RAD database, 3 kbWe've just gone live with a massive update to our logbooks section (route database) on UKC. The logbooks are hugely popular, with thousands of climbs ticked every week, and a database of over 336,000 routes!

Find out the details here..

Read more

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant effort guys, thanks for all the work.

My log book just flagged up the fact that I did a route with Alan James 10 years ago and never recorded it!

Chris
 Offwidth 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

A day in the life? Although the codes were very small they had to count them all... !

Really pleased to see latest RAD information on the main crag link amongst a whole load of good looking changes.
 La benya 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

When looking at a climb in the database, the names of the adjacent routes used to appear as clickables which was useful (especially lookin at link ups and extensions where you'd want to look at the route... Erm... Route). Now there is just arrows. Was this intentional? Was the first thing I noticed while trying to find a bit of info just now.
 lewiz 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Saw some of the changes a few days ago. Very impressive, thanks for the hard work.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see you've been adding more proportionally more comments to your code
 IanC 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

The changes are great.
There is some CSS leaking into the page content on the articles tab ( Seen here: Craigpark Quarry#articles)

" .alert{font-weight:bold;padding:5px 10px;border-radius:0} .alert p{margin:5px 0} Fancy the idea of Scottish ski touring, but unsure where to "
In reply to mark_wellin:

They're only arrows on the smallest screen size. You get the full climb name on anything bigger than phone.
In reply to IanC:

Wow, good find! There must be less than 10 articles with in-line CSS in the whole database. That's sorted.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Ticklist dates seem to have disappeared for seconded ascents for some reason.
 Martin Hore 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I'm getting a "broken link" notice when I click on "Search Climb/Crags" under "Logbooks". Happened earlier in the week when I presumed you were working on it but the problem is still there.

Martin
Clauso 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great work guys! It all looks really good.

P.S. Am I the first person to discover the hidden Easter egg whereby, if you hold down Ctrl-Alt-Alt Gr whilst in your logbook, it displays a banner reading "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ON GRIT?"... Brilliant!
 badgerjockey 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Looking lovely, guys!

Can I ask that there is the functionality to add climbs to your wishlist just by ticking them from the main crag page? Perhaps a button that pops up next to the "add ticked climbs to your logbook" button.

ta,
H
 solomonkey 14 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Another thumbs up from me , great work guys
In reply to Martin Hore:

The old Search Climb/Crags page is redundant once you're logged in as you can get to everything it had on it from My Logbook.

The Climb/Crag search bar is auto-dropped down at the top when you're on My Logbook and also available on Crag and Climbs pages too by clicking on the magnifying glass top right.
In reply to badgerjockey:

Cheers, good suggestion. That's on the todo list and should hopefully be in by the end of the week. The wishlist button from the climb page will act like a toggle so you can click it on/off without being directed to the wishlist page too.

I've been finding the Wishlist is a lot more useful now you can filter it by area and sort by grade. Makes checking out my Font Wishlist a lot better
 climber34neil 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

All good stuff, only issue I found is that on the "climbs at this crag " page routes added to my logbook since the changes have not been highlighted in green as previously and total number of accents has not changed, apart from that though it looks good
 badgerjockey 14 Oct 2015

Also, when you are on a climb's page and it is already in your logbook, the public logbook is hidden and you have to manually open it up to see other users comments on the climb. Minor but would be better to see both straight off...
In reply to climber34neil:

> only issue I found is that on the "climbs at this crag " page routes added to my logbook since the changes have not been highlighted in green as previously

Refresh the particular crag page, they'll be there.
 climber34neil 14 Oct 2015

OK thanks

I've just pushed through an update to the climb page to make the Partner and Public Logbooks section expanded by default on non-mobile browsers.

The display of the Notes & Partners section has also been improved when viewing on small screens.
 badgerjockey 14 Oct 2015

Woohoo! Democracy in action!
 67hours 14 Oct 2015

Paul,

Great updates!

One question - I ended up ignoring loads of climbs partners had added that I wanted to also add. I didn't realise I only had one shot at adding them to my logbook. How do I see a list of the climbs which I "ignored for now"

Thanks,

George
In reply to 67hours:

Hi George, you'll get prompted about them again in a weeks time but I'm going to add to add "see ignored ascents now" button.
 Martin Hore 15 Oct 2015

Thanks Paul but it's still not working for me.

When I click "Search Climb/Crags" or "My Logbook" I'm variously getting "=handleArrowKey" or "Oops! The link appears to be broken" or (once) the "Logbook Option" page or (once) actually the correct My Logbook page. I'm definitely logged in (or I couldn't be replying). Have I missed something here?

Martin

67hours 15 Oct 2015

That sounds like a great idea Paul. I noticed on a few other threads people asking after these too.
 Stuart S 15 Oct 2015

I get a message appearing at the top of my logbook telling me that I've been logged in 209 ascents by partners that aren't in my logbook and asking me to review these 'missing ascents'. These will just be sport climbs where I've held their ropes (I'm pretty anal about logging my own ascents). Is there any way to permanently get rid of this message without having to trawl through all 209 climbs one at a time and click the "I just belayed" button? When I click on the 'x' at the top right corner of the blue message box, it reappears every time I navigate back to my logbook page.
In reply to Stuart S:

I think a lot of yours are boulder problems. It'll take you a few minutes to confirm them the first time but shouldn't long after that.

> Looking lovely, guys!

> Can I ask that there is the functionality to add climbs to your wishlist just by ticking them from the main crag page? Perhaps a button that pops up next to the "add ticked climbs to your logbook" button.

You can Add/Remove from Wishlist on the crag page now. The crag page also remembers the climbs you've ticked if you click on a climb or changed the climb sorting order too.

If you're on the climb page you can just click on the Add to Wishlist button to toggle it on/off instead of it taking you to the My Wishlist page too.
In reply to UKC News:

I might be being blind, but I've spent a long time looking for a "Add new route" button.

Help please
 Martin Hore 16 Oct 2015

Paul, I clicked on the first link in your post and got this:

calc Stiky-Kit on window resize $(window).on("resize", (function(_this) { return function(e) { return $(document.body).trigger("sticky_kit:recalc"); }; })(this)); }); } });(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-2305567-1', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true}); ga('require', 'linker'); ga('linker:autoLink', ['www.ukhillwalking.com']); ga('send', 'pageview');

Clicked again and just got the "link broken" message. Could it be that I'm one of those that hasn't logged any of my climbs but still wants to access Climb/Crag information?

Martin
In reply to Martin Hore:

Can you tell me what web browser you're using please? If you don't know just send a message via this form
http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html#fault

Cheers, Paul.
 Stuart S 16 Oct 2015
There's 209 of them to plough through - that's a lot of clicking for absolutely no benefit to me! Is there no chance of adding an "Ignore all" button?

Edit - just been back in again and it's now saying 168 climbs to check. Have you been doing something in the background, or is there a time limit beyond which the climbs automatically drop off the pop-up reminder?
Post edited at 20:13
In reply to Stuart S:

I was interested to see how long it'd take to clear them all since you had more than most. You said they were all belayed but after 30 seconds I saw all the boulders so I stopped clicking. That kinda reinforced my decision not to include a remove all button.
 rlrs 16 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I can't work out how to find the guidebook database in the new logbook layout, can anyone help?
 Stuart S 16 Oct 2015
It's not so much the time as the complete pointlessness of the exercise - as if UKC suddenly doesn't trust me to have been able to manage my logbook by myself up to this point. But fine, if I have to click "ignore" 168 times to get rid of the pop-up then I'll do it, but I'm disappointed at the uncharacteristic intrusiveness of it all.

Edit: turns out of I click "ignore" rather than "I just watched", I'll get further reminders in 7 days time. Pity I didn't notice this till after I'd thought I'd cleared the first screenful of climbs. Really - what a frustratingly irritating change to the logbooks! Anyway, that's it all done now (other than those that I will get re-reminded about in 7 days) so I'll stop complaining as otherwise, I'm a big fan of the logbook system (honest!).
Post edited at 22:29
 Stuart S 16 Oct 2015

Just spotted what you've done with bouldering grades, making it so that you can only see either Font grades or V grades, depending on your own settings. Why is this? Why can't I see the problems I've done in Bishop in V grades (which is how they are graded locally) and problems I've done in the UK and in Font in Font grades (again, as they are graded locally). You used to be able to see both grading systems - why decrease the user-friendliness of the system? What's the benefit?

Sorry - I know I'm moaning again. I'm just surprised at what appears to be a backward step when there have been so many other positive changes.
 ali k 17 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Paul - can you make it so that if a moderator deletes a climb from the database/your logbook when they are making changes to it that the user is notified?

I've noticed before that on a few occasions climbs that I know I've previously logged no longer appear in my logbook. The only reason I can think for this is if the moderator has somehow deleted them when messing around with orders/numbering/naming within the crag page. It's frustrating as I then have no record of when I did them and the ascent is then 'lost'.
 rlrs 18 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

For moderating crags, changing the climb order by numbers rather than drag and drop isn't working for me. On a laptop, Windows10, Firefox.
 Martin Hore 18 Oct 2015

> Can you tell me what web browser you're using please? If you don't know just send a message via this form

> Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul

Good suggestion

I have Internet Explorer and GoogleChrome on my machine. Just logged into UKC on GoogleChrome and everything works fine, including the links in your earlier email. I'm replying via that log-in now. However, it ought surely to work on Internet Explorer which is normally my go-to browser.

Martin
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi Martin, glad you've got it working. It'd still be beneficial to me if you could submit a bug report via this page: http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html#fault

With your Internet Explorer not Chrome, it'll help me debug the problem.

Just put "as per forum post" in the report.

Thanks, Paul.
In reply to rlrs:

Thanks for reporting that, I can reproduce the fault. I might get chance to fix it tomorrow morning but I'm gonna be away for the week from lunchtime.

Did you noticed you can bulk move using the drag and drop method now? If you click on a climb then hold down shift and click another it'll select a range. You can then drag the whole selection to a new location. If you hold down Ctrl you can add/remove climbs from the selection.
 rlrs 18 Oct 2015

Ok, bulk moving should work just as well. Perhaps you noticed my previous post about the guidebook database: this is somewhat hidden now, accessible only from the update guidebook route, as far as I can tell.

Like the new logbook overhaul, by the way!
In reply to rlrs:

Cheers, glad you like it. I'll have a think about the guidebook page link.
 Mr. Lee 19 Oct 2015

(Sorry) just found another minor bug

I'm getting the reminders to log routes that my partners logged despite me actually having already logged them. This one is a good example (18th Aug):

Mega Action (n5-)

I think the problem arises when people don't complete the full date. Eg ??/2015. It looks like the database can't make the link when only part of the date is entered. Maybe the coding could be expanded so that the link can still be made when the month and/or day are missing?
 Simon Caldwell 19 Oct 2015

Another minor glitch.
Add some routes for a crag to your logbook.
Now add some different routes for the same crag (different day). It remembers the initial set of ticks, and so you need to untick them or it adds them to the logbook again.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Sorted. You can click on the x Entries Selected text to clear the selection now too.
Post edited at 11:00
 Simon Caldwell 19 Oct 2015

ta
 David Walker 19 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Love the new logbook updates, it is much cleaner and easier to use now. I really like the direction this is going.

However, would it be possible for climbs that have been seconded to be sorted using the "climbed" column on the ticklists page rather than just lead climbs? I believe this was the old behaviour prior to the update. Perhaps put then underneath the ones that have been lead?
In reply to David Walker:

Hi David, thanks for the comments.

I'm in Mallorca this week but I'll take a quick look at changing the sorting order next week. It should only be a small tweak.

Cheers, Paul.
 jcw 21 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for adding possibility of a question mark for date climbed and all the hard work in this revision. Can you tell me what the convention is for several ascents of the same route? Does one enter it on the first date and mention further ascents in the comments, adding solo or what have you? Or does one make a new entry for each time done?
In reply to jcw:

Make a new entry each time you do a route. You can set the style to "repeat ascent" to indicate you have climbed this route before. Same goes for adding solo, its a style option.
 stp 21 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great work.

One glitch I noticed though was this. When I tried to tick I route I'd tried before but not redpointed there was no redpoint option available to choose on the drop down list. I recorded it as a repeat ascent then went in to edit the addition and changed it there.

A more important change would be to not allow users to grade or rate routes not recorded in their logbooks. People are giving grades to routes they've never even tried. Northern Lights at Kilnsey has loads of people giving different grades for it yet only Steve Mac and Adam Ondra have done the route. I doubt either of these has logged their ascent on here but even if they had their opinions would be completely buried by all the fakes.
 faffergotgunz 21 Oct 2015
Great stuff UKC!

jcw 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax: thanks

In reply to stp:

Well spotted with the redpoint thing. I'll try and get a fix for that tomorrow.

The voting maybe needs looking at if its getting abused. Thanks for highlighting this.
 Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

if you do limit the voting then make sure you allow a vote if it's logged as DNF
In reply to stp:

This should now be fixed. There are quite a few different cases that decide what style options are displayed. I've added redpoint to as many as I can think of. If I've missed one give me a shout again.
 stp 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Great work. Thanks.
 Dave Musgrove 24 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

All seems to work fine but I find the 'Review missing ascents' feature irritating. I initially had over 500 but I'm pretty sure all are boulder problems done by friends when we go out in a group. I'm probably guilty of doing the same by including all those present on bouldering trips when I'm not sure exactly who did what. I always know what I've done and doubt I'll find any in the list that I've done but not logged. Can't we have an opt out button for this feature please?

Dave
 Stuart S 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

I asked for that too and was essentially told "tough". If you do decide to just clear them yourself, don't make the mistake I initially did and click "ignore" instead of "I just belayed/watched" as that just means you get reminded again 7 days later!
 Mr. Lee 25 Oct 2015

Found this minor glitch when viewing my logbook.

I've got my results/page set to 50. When I go to the next page instead it being 51-100 it's 26-76. i.e. the results are avancing 25 irrespective of the results/page setting.
 Hamfunk 27 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for adding "recent ascents" to the crag pages, i asked for this a while back and its good to see it made it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...